Off Grid Trailers

DRAX

Thanks! I had not. Looks like maneuvering is a non issue. I wouldn't take my truck on some of those trails :)

Yeah, I'm in the same boat and the Whipsaw trail video is what sold me, knowing the trailer could likely go more places than I'd be willing to take my truck. I was worried that the trailer would limit where we could go, but really the only limiting factor would be maneuverability, like very sharp switchbacks or not having a place to turn around and having to try and back out, but that's what planning and scouting ahead should help avoid.

stevo_pct

Yeah the video focused more on how well the trailer can go over obstacles, which isn't really my concern because I don't want to beat up my truck. I'm more concerned about getting in a position where I can't go forward and it's not easy to get turned around (or get past a tight switchback). I'll be by myself a lot of my time and exploring new territory so I won't always be able to plan, check out routes on google earth, etc. And I won't have an entire team of spotters, recovery vehicles, etc.

4000lbsOfGoat

As a result of some bad advice from my Garmin device I ended up on an atv trail in Montana with my Expedition. It was barely wide enough for the Tacoma and once I was in, I was committed to going forward. Some very slow and careful driving got me through the trail and back to a more proper road. In almost all cases, if you can get the tow vehicle through, the camper will follow.

Switchbacks have not yet been an issue either. The Expo tracks *almost* perfectly behind the truck. It might turn in 6 inches further than the truck on a real tight turn.

DRAX

Got our official titling docs yesterday, the big day keeps getting closer and closer! Still no ship date, though. Maybe a couple of weeks or so out from that.

4000lbsOfGoat

Got our official titling docs yesterday, the big day keeps getting closer and closer! Still no ship date, though. Maybe a couple of weeks or so out from that.
Congrats!

Make sure you check the titling requirements in your state. In MT we were required to have a VIN inspection by a local LEO since the trailer was directly imported to us without going through a dealer.

DRAX

Congrats!

Make sure you check the titling requirements in your state. In MT we were required to have a VIN inspection by a local LEO since the trailer was directly imported to us without going through a dealer.

Thanks! Should be pretty easy here in IL, I don't think they require a visual VIN verification, just MCO and bill of sale. We shall see, though!

DRAX

Trailer is leaving OGT today and is tentatively scheduled for delivery THIS SUNDAY OR MONDAY. Holy crap! Things have moved quickly the past couple of weeks, I was expecting to get the trailer mid-March. Dang, I guess I really need to get the title/registration done ASAP.

One of the fridges and the shower enclosure will get shipped to me once they're in stock, supply chain and border problems have caused delays. And we need to make room for it in the garage this weekend. haha

So exciting!

DRAX

Driver just called me, he's about 4-5 hours away so it'll be getting here this evening!

KoryDavis

Hey Off Grid Owners!
For those of you interested in camping out with the rest of the Pack at the Overland Expos in the USA and the Alberta Outdoor Adventure Expo in Canada we have set times and places to meet up.
For Overland Expo West, PNW & Mtn West we will meet up in a large parking lot in town and convoy to the event site together.
For Overland Expo East, the plan is to stage just inside the main gate, due to its proximity to any towns or large parking lots.
For the Alberta Outdoor Adventure Expo come see us at Booth 11 on your way in.
If you plan on attending please RSVP on this page so we know how many to expect and send updates incase there are any changes to the plan.
RSVP: https://offgridtrailers.com/pack-gatherings/
Looking forward to meeting you!
The OGT Team

stevo_pct

What are you guys doing with your water systems when camping in the shoulder seasons? Out here in Colorado, it can freeze overnight any time of the year, but especially in the fall which is some of the best camping. I know you could winterize the trailer and not use the water system at all, but that seems unfortunate given that the days can be 60-70 degrees and it would be nice to have the on board water.

I was wondering if you could get away with just draining the shower. If it just dips into the 20s overnight, that won't freeze the tank solid, but it could freeze the lines. Is there a way to drain all of the water lines without draining the tank?

DRAX

What are you guys doing with your water systems when camping in the shoulder seasons? Out here in Colorado, it can freeze overnight any time of the year, but especially in the fall which is some of the best camping. I know you could winterize the trailer and not use the water system at all, but that seems unfortunate given that the days can be 60-70 degrees and it would be nice to have the on board water.

I was wondering if you could get away with just draining the shower. If it just dips into the 20s overnight, that won't freeze the tank solid, but it could freeze the lines. Is there a way to drain all of the water lines without draining the tank?
Should be ok to just drain the shower and water heater, also it really depends on how much time the temp is below freezing. Things won't freeze as soon as the temps hit 32F, of course. If it hits freezing or just below for only an hour before warming back up that's no biggie compared to 5-6 hours below freezing.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

stevo_pct

I'm thinking more of the situation where the temps might dip into the high 20s for a few hours. Just wondering what people do to handle this.

For weekend trips, it's easy enough to pay attention to the local forecast, but when you're out for a multi-week trip, or camping somewhere with no cell service, it's not possible to check the weather forecast each night to see exactly how cold it's expected to get and for how long.

I know you could always fully drain the water system, but that's not really practical if you're out on a multi week trip and you need your water supply for several more days. If you really have to, you could move all your water into separate jugs I guess.

Anyway, just looking for ideas. I was wondering if anyone modified the pluming so that the lines could be drained all the way back to the tank.

DRAX

I'm thinking more of the situation where the temps might dip into the high 20s for a few hours. Just wondering what people do to handle this.

For weekend trips, it's easy enough to pay attention to the local forecast, but when you're out for a multi-week trip, or camping somewhere with no cell service, it's not possible to check the weather forecast each night to see exactly how cold it's expected to get and for how long.

I know you could always fully drain the water system, but that's not really practical if you're out on a multi week trip and you need your water supply for several more days. If you really have to, you could move all your water into separate jugs I guess.

Anyway, just looking for ideas. I was wondering if anyone modified the pluming so that the lines could be drained all the way back to the tank.

If you're concerned enough about a hard freeze, just bring a jug of antifreeze and winterize the lines. You should be able to drain the supply lines from the tank(s), between the tank(s) and pump, by allowing air into the lines from the winterize line before you winterize. There is a winterize/antifreeze pickup line already installed, you just need to switch the valve to pull from the winterize supply line and run the antifreeze through to the showerhead and to the sink faucet, then you're done. You'll have to figure out how and where to dispose of the antifreeze in the lines once you want to use the water system again, though.

Just have to be careful that the antifreeze doesn't backflow into the tank(s) somehow.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider

I just stumbled onto this thread and I don't have an Off grid trailer or know how the plumbing and tank is set up on these trailers. But on my 3 Feathers Mfg. trailer, the 12 gallon water tank is above the floor and so is the pump & all the plumbing. It's under the counter in the galley. I can't completely drain the tank so what I do is leave a 12V light on under the counter, close to all the plumbing. Also a thermometer to monitor inside temps. At home I plug in the shore power so the battery doesn't die, but traveling in the winter I've set it up so the tow rig charges the trailer battery, too. It's a small enough space so a 12V turn signal size bulb keeps the area 40 - 50*F even down to single digit outside temps. You just need to carry spare bulbs and check to be sure the bulb doesn't burn out. Just an idea that works for me and might help someone else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179