2021 Overland Explorer Vehicles (OEV) CAMP-HBE pop-up flatbed pickup camper (renamed the "Hudson Bay" for 2023 model year)

sg1

Adventurer
I am very happy with the materials used for the interior. My CampX was delivered in May 2018 and has been on the truck ever since. It is my daily driver. The camper gets heavy use with about 90 nights per year. When not used as a camper I use it for transporting everything from gardening stuff to ski and snow shoe equipment (full of snow of course). The interior still looks great and has taken the abuse in a stride.
Here is my take on the 40k dollar mystery. A price always reflects both cost and the expected willingness of potential buyers to pay. I assume OEV has high hopes with regard to the later.

Chadx

♫ Off the road again. Just can't wait to get...
Article is mostly about the new High Country, and the link is already in that thread, but there is one paragraph, near the end, about the Hudson Bay hard wall...

" Our Hudson Bay hard wall will be available this summer. If possible, we would like to have it at Overland Expo West in Flagstaff, Arizona, but that remains to be seen. "

Ninelitetrip

Article is mostly about the new High Country, and the link is already in that thread, but there is one paragraph, near the end, about the Hudson Bay hard wall...

" Our Hudson Bay hard wall will be available this summer. If possible, we would like to have it at Overland Expo West in Flagstaff, Arizona, but that remains to be seen. "

Well, a nugget of hope I guess. Back in the fall, they were looking at spring. The HCHWFB and the E350 platform taking up resources.

Spencer for Hire

Will you be buying one?

Chadx

Will you be buying one?

Hardwall campers are a no-go for us. They won't fit on tight, tree-lined trails we frequent. We can only get away with pop-top pickup campers. We love our CAMP-X. We are due for a new pickup in a couple years and that will be an HD. As that time, we'll decide if we keep and transfer over the current CAMP-X, replace with a newer gen CAMP-X (Backcountry), move to a different brand slide-in, pop-top camper, or move to a flatbed camper (Hudson Bay pop-top is the the lead candidate there). But whatever we choose, it will be a pop-top out of necessity.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
PS--I relayed to some powers that be today about the website/pdf errors. Seems many dealers have seen the same and are trying to help get these corrected at OEV.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
OEV just posted on their IG that they're going to make shell models available for essentially all their campers. Great news for the DIYers and those that want to save some money up front.

Their IG says to talk to them or their dealers to learn more about the Shell models. Details would be good to know.

sn_85

Observer
Their IG says to talk to them or their dealers to learn more about the Shell models. Details would be good to know.

Ditto. Here is some prelim pricing info. Although it doesn't say what is or isn't included and what amenities are provided in the shell models. I'm sure more info is to come.

Chadx

The Cross Country https://overlandex.com/back-country-2/ was the first shell they offered starting last year. Based on the CAMP-X (Back Country), it comes with propane, Truma heater, all house battery wiring (including Victron DC/DC charger, USB and 12V outlets), roof vent/fan, etc. Will be interesting if they offer true shells (no heater, wiring, etc.) or stick with the "mostly shell" model. Better yet, offer selection of à la carte add-on to the shell to build out exactly where you want it.
2023-Cross-Country-1.jpg

Here is how I'd have a Hudson Bay built if customization were offered:
- Standard build with propane, water, Truma heater and water heater, etc. but minus the164L built-in fridge. I'd like storage shelving in that place to hold cube bags like an AT Overland Aterra XL.
- The front storage cabinet that now holds the batteries cut down to be a short cabinet on which I'd place a Luna 90 top-load, chest fridge. The cabinet height is just enough to hold batteries and with chest fridge on top, becomes nice step access in and out of the cabover (we sleep east west and so prefer to access near the wall rather than in the middle like is required by current Hudson Bay design)
- We'd have a large battery bank and inverter to power one induction burner, 120v outlets in the cabin and I'd wire a 120v exterior outlet which I'd use with extension cord and portable induction cooktop, battery chargers for eMTB, electric dirtbikes, charging fishing boat batteries, etc. Just nice to have an external 120v outlet for many things.
- Four solar panels on the roof rather than two and appropriately sized solar controller.
- Black countertop on all surfaces rather than bamboo.
- Galley countertop with no sink and no stovetop and no cutouts, but all propane and water lines stubbed out.
- The countertop would later be cut for different model sink and cooktop.
- The sink would be larger/deeper (even if I had to eliminate storage space below it and have a nice, separate, fixed faucet (not fold down) and a separate filtered drinking water dispenser.
- The built-in stovetop would have one propane burner and one induction burner.
- Option for different color/material for seat cushion or, offer a 'cushion delete' with associated discount and we'd have seat cushions custom made locally with the fabric of our choice.
- Mattress delete option (we've never used any of the mattresses in any of our campers. We remove and store them and put in our custom foam/memory foam mattress).

I'd change a few other minor things along the way.
- Replace interior LED dome light with perimeter string lights, as previously discussed.
- Change/add some plumbing fittings for the exterior shower lines so they can not only be isolated, as they are now, but drained independently of the main lines after they are isolated. This let's one isolate and drain rather than requiring the entire system be winterized, then isolating those lines, then rest of system be de-winterized (which you can't really do anyway since those lines are dead-headed if the valves are off, so you can flush out the antifreeze. No good way currently to get the water out of the lines once you isolate the outside shower unit. Would be a nice touch to be able to not only isolate, but drain the lines that run to the exterior fittings.
- Redesign that shower pan to get it slammed right down against the floor. Last redesign helped, but it's still elevated and short headroom. Get that pan all the way down to the floor to give nearly the full headroom of the main cabin (minus 1" or so for angled floor pan). Then, with the current grate system, you still have foot-support when seated at the dinette and also have a large storage space (that would have to be removed when using the shower, but gives valuable storage space all other times).

I've given much of this feedback to Mark and Arnold and hopefully some if it will trickle into future versions or can be made available on a "custom build" basis.

sn_85

Observer
The Cross Country https://overlandex.com/back-country-2/ was the first shell they offered starting last year. Based on the CAMP-X (Back Country), it comes with propane, Truma heater, all house battery wiring (including Victron DC/DC charger, USB and 12V outlets), roof vent/fan, etc. Will be interesting if they offer true shells (no heater, wiring, etc.) or stick with the "mostly shell" model. Better yet, offer selection of à la carte add-on to the shell to build out exactly where you want it.
View attachment 770642

Here is how I'd have a Hudson Bay built if customization were offered:
- Standard build with propane, water, Truma heater and water heater, etc. but minus the164L built-in fridge. I'd like storage shelving in that place to hold cube bags like an AT Overland Aterra XL.
- The front storage cabinet that now holds the batteries cut down to be a short cabinet on which I'd place a Luna 90 top-load, chest fridge. The cabinet height is just enough to hold batteries and with chest fridge on top, becomes nice step access in and out of the cabover (we sleep east west and so prefer to access near the wall rather than in the middle like is required by current Hudson Bay design)
- We'd have a large battery bank and inverter to power one induction burner, 120v outlets in the cabin and I'd wire a 120v exterior outlet which I'd use with extension cord and portable induction cooktop, battery chargers for eMTB, electric dirtbikes, charging fishing boat batteries, etc. Just nice to have an external 120v outlet for many things.
- Four solar panels on the roof rather than two and appropriately sized solar controller.
- Black countertop on all surfaces rather than bamboo.
- Galley countertop with no sink and no stovetop and no cutouts, but all propane and water lines stubbed out.
- The countertop would later be cut for different model sink and cooktop.
- The sink would be larger/deeper (even if I had to eliminate storage space below it and have a nice, separate, fixed faucet (not fold down) and a separate filtered drinking water dispenser.
- The built-in stovetop would have one propane burner and one induction burner.
- Option for different color/material for seat cushion or, offer a 'cushion delete' with associated discount and we'd have seat cushions custom made locally with the fabric of our choice.
- Mattress delete option (we've never used any of the mattresses in any of our campers. We remove and store them and put in our custom foam/memory foam mattress).

I'd change a few other minor things along the way.
- Replace interior LED dome light with perimeter string lights, as previously discussed.
- Change/add some plumbing fittings for the exterior shower lines so they can not only be isolated, as they are now, but drained independently of the main lines after they are isolated. This let's one isolate and drain rather than requiring the entire system be winterized, then isolating those lines, then rest of system be de-winterized (which you can't really do anyway since those lines are dead-headed if the valves are off, so you can flush out the antifreeze. No good way currently to get the water out of the lines once you isolate the outside shower unit. Would be a nice touch to be able to not only isolate, but drain the lines that run to the exterior fittings.
- Redesign that shower pan to get it slammed right down against the floor. Last redesign helped, but it's still elevated and short headroom. Get that pan all the way down to the floor to give nearly the full headroom of the main cabin (minus 1" or so for angled floor pan). Then, with the current grate system, you still have foot-support when seated at the dinette and also have a large storage space (that would have to be removed when using the shower, but gives valuable storage space all other times).

I've given much of this feedback to Mark and Arnold and hopefully some if it will trickle into future versions or can be made available on a "custom build" basis.

I would rather them offer fully blank shell models. I suspect that based on pricing it's still a "semi-built" shell model like what they've shown with the Cross Country. So while you may add in systems and do some of your own interior I think you'll still be limited in a way with how they build and place items in the shell. In my preferred setup I'd go with a blank shell Alpine. I'd get rid of the crappy RV door they use and replace that with a side-entry Tern Wildlands door. Front would be a U or L-shaped dinette seating area and with a rear kitchen galley.

I think there will be a big market for these shell models. Prices are insane on everything nowadays and I think it's a great way to get a good camper body upfront and upgrade/build as you go. Bison Overland Campers had the right idea but they don't have the production throughput, dealer network, customer service, and reputation that OEV has. Being shell models I'd be you could get these campers in a very short time frame like 4-8 weeks at most. With Bison you're talking about a year and change if you're lucky. Plus I'm not sure I trust a startup company like Bison enough to fork over $40K+ until they are more established.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Very nice unit.

Is this unit approved for use in "Bear Country"?

I realize the canvas might be 8+ feet high, but I don't know what Rangers would say.

Chadx

A front dinette is a great use of space on a slide-in, but, as you mention, these "not true shells" are not conducive since the battery locations easy to move) and propane closet and lines (hard to move) are up front. Front dinette's do throw the weight bias to the rear since all the heavy add-ons (propane, battery, water tank, appliances) would then be to the rear, but they are one of my favorite layouts for a slide-in. For a flatbed, I really like the rear dinette layout. But the beauty of a true shell is one could do the layout without being constrained by included features.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger