2021 Overland Explorer Vehicles (OEV) CAMP-HBE pop-up flatbed pickup camper (renamed the "Hudson Bay" for 2023 model year)

sn_85

Observer
Surprisingly, the entry door can be placed wherever you'd like it. This has been confirmed with OEV. I would have thought they'd be sticklers on it staying in the standard HB location for the simplicity of their workers.

Correct; OEV dealer would install a window or propane locker or hatch wherever you want them placed, or can install other OEV items/accessories (solar panels, Molle panels, etc).

Interior buildout is not DIY'able however; it'll be overseen by the OEV dealer and/or their partners of choice, so that the overall camper still resembles OEV quality or better. Apparently this is why they drug their feet on allowing Shell sales for so long; they didn't want a DIY'er slapping some Craigslist vintage cabinets and a Husky tool cart in an OEV shell and calling it an "OEV build." They want to uphold the image of quality they've been building for going on almost 10yrs now?

Interesting, I suppose more details will be sussed out as time goes on and some of the dealers will be able to give more firm and accurate info. I am curious by saying the interior is not DIY'able. So does that mean we won't able to order empty shells and build out the interiors by ourselves? In essence, are we ordering shells and their partner of choice will then build the interior to our spec? Does this mean we are somewhat "forced" into a form of an interior package before it can leave the dealer? I would had assumed that would be the whole point of ordering a shell so that you could either DIY it yourself or have a builder do it. The problem I see with this is that the shell is no longer $38k, you're walking out with a camper that will be at least $50K . I think what attracted many to this offering is the ability to start low and grow as time goes on. Will be curious to see how this pans out.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Interesting, I suppose more details will be sussed out as time goes on and some of the dealers will be able to give more firm and accurate info. I am curious by saying the interior is not DIY'able. So does that mean we won't able to order empty shells and build out the interiors by ourselves? In essence, are we ordering shells and their partner of choice will then build the interior to our spec? Does this mean we are somewhat "forced" into a form of an interior package before it can leave the dealer? I would had assumed that would be the whole point of ordering a shell so that you could either DIY it yourself or have a builder do it. The problem I see with this is that the shell is no longer $38k, you're walking out with a camper that will be at least $50K . I think what attracted many to this offering is the ability to start low and grow as time goes on. Will be curious to see how this pans out.

One would hope that more OEV dealers will be able to give accurate info as time goes on.

Correct; interiors are not DIY'able = no building out the interior yourself (unless you're the OEV dealer's interior builder of choice I suppose).

You order a shell from an OEV dealer, and the OEV dealer/interior builder builds the exterior/interior out to your spec per-se. Will be interesting to see if leopard print dinettes, bright orange cabinets, and baby blue Marmoleum flooring are "allowed." :LOL:

You pose a good question regarding how extensive the OEV dealer-arranged interior needs to be. Seems that's a gray area TBD.

Last edited:

tacollie

Glamper
We considered a shell. It would be well over $30k with freight, instal, and tax. The Cross Country was almost $40k with freight, tax, and installation. It didn't seem like a good option to us. Nobody at Off-grid or OEV said we couldn't do our own build out. The only way they can stop customers from a DIY build out is by not selling shells. Once you leave the dealer they have zero say on what happens.

Ninelitetrip

what certifications do you have?

We are a CMVSS (Canadian Motor Vehicles Safety Standard), FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard), NHTSA (National Hi-way Transportation Safety Association), accredited facility. We are also an RVIA certified facility which means we are NFPA 1192 compliant.

I wonder for the DIY build on a shell what options if any are available in the US for insurance and financing when you buy a shell and DIY?

Besides giving the OEV dealer network an opportunity to grow their in house work or partnering with another shop, does that become a marketing tool that financing would available?

Are van builder across the country seeing any slow down in orders and conversions?

This could be a good way to keep busy, doing interior work on these shells.

Chadx

♫ Off the road again. Just can't wait to get...
I like that there are three flatbed popup shells: First two are like the 6.75' and 8' hudson bay in that the 6.75' has a kickout to make it 8' long in the upper dinette area. But, there is a third choice that is 6.85' and has no kickout. That gives it the same cabin interior length as the slide-in 6.85' campers. Less room, but might be a solution for those that often carry MTB or dirtbikes on receiver hitch racks or otherwise need a shorter overall camper length (parking or storage considerations, etc.).

Ninelitetrip

Is it just me has the OEV home webpage, shell section, changed from "Looking for Builders" to "DIY & Builders Welcome".

Will these shell units continue to be constructed in Red Deer, or is the plan that some dealers will assemble ?

interesting that they’ve added the builder page where you can put in all your particulars and then seek approval. That could be interesting.

Unless it’s changed, the panels are manufactured in the US then ship to the Red Deer across the border assembled and shipped across the border again for the US market. Is there a benefit for them to allow the panels to go directly to builders that are equipped to cut to size and assemble?

Crux

I like that there are three flatbed popup shells: First two are like the 6.75' and 8' hudson bay in that the 6.75' has a kickout to make it 8' long in the upper dinette area. But, there is a third choice that is 6.85' and has no kickout. That gives it the same cabin interior length as the slide-in 6.85' campers. Less room, but might be a solution for those that often carry MTB or dirtbikes on receiver hitch racks or otherwise need a shorter overall camper length (parking or storage considerations, etc.).
Is that 6.85 flatbed shell with no kickout the same as the Alpine?

Chadx

♫ Off the road again. Just can't wait to get...
Is that 6.85 flatbed shell with no kickout the same as the Alpine?

Good point. Probably so. I forgot about the Alpine. Ha. The Alpine has the extra-tall cabover and side walls compared to the Hudson. The Hudson has a much shorter cabover (though it does still have a short underbed storage option. Interior headroom of Alpine, while open, is 82" vs the Hudson being 77" open; 5 more inches. Alpine has the same headroom as the slide-in pickup campers, but, because it sits up a flatbed rather than between the wheelwells, it sits much taller than the Hudson when closed or open (higher center of gravity and less clearance), but the extra interior headroom would be nice for taller owners.

Originally, the Alpine didn't have underbed storage and so it's tall sidewalls left a huge gap between the pickup roof and bottom of the cabover. That is why OEV added the underbed storage; to fill in that gap. They left the taller overall camper. For those that want the camper height to be the same as the Hudson, I wonder if OEV would make the Alpine with Hudson-height walls/cabover height. Basically, a merge of the Hudson (standard cabover height and lower camper walls) and the Alpine (no kickout).

I think it was already mentioned they would put the door wherever the owner wanted, which would give an Alpine shell owner the ability to put door in rear or on the side, which gives good layout options.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Is it just me has the OEV home webpage, shell section, changed from "Looking for Builders" to "DIY & Builders Welcome".

Will these shell units continue to be constructed in Red Deer, or is the plan that some dealers will assemble ?

Update; while Arnold at OEV was telling my local OEV dealer(friends of mine in the industry) that originally Shells would only be available to the OEV Dealer and their (interior)Builder of choice--ie NO DIY--OEV changed their tune recently. This is why their Shells page now have a DIY(buy from an OEV dealer, plus some available OEV equipment if you want, and build it however you want) and Builders (look to your OEV dealer for who they suggest to have the interior built out for you. OEV is also looking for more companies to offer interiors for their Shells, which is interesting. This could potentially push more people to their campers if they already have a Builder of choice from a previous rig) section; https://overlandex.com/builders-wanted/
So, @tacollie is now correct; OEV Shells are available to anyone.

Shells will still only be constructed at OEV HQ in Red Deer from what I've heard, meaning Builder doesn't mean cabin assembler, it means interior builders, but OEV does need to make that clearer on their site besides just this question; "What type of builds to you currently do?" I don't think OEV wants to give up that much control over their product.

@Ninelitetrip makes a great point about financing. I DO NOT KNOW for certain(waiting for quick answer), but I would think Shells are not financeable as even though OEV is RVIA certified, these are bare Shells, and I thought financing was only available for complete "RV" campers with fixed bed, fridge or stove, sink, and bathroom....like you have to have in most states in order to have your camper licensed/insured as a "camper/RV?"

@chadx is correct, entry door can be placed wherever you want, on any Shell. Arnold even said you could put the entry door on the left/driver side of the camper if you'd like.

tacollie

Glamper
Update; while Arnold at OEV was telling my local OEV dealer(friends of mine in the industry) that originally Shells would only be available to the OEV Dealer and their (interior)Builder of choice--ie NO DIY--OEV changed their tune recently. This is why their Shells page now have a DIY(buy from an OEV dealer, plus some available OEV equipment if you want, and build it however you want) and Builders (look to your OEV dealer for who they suggest to have the interior built out for you. OEV is also looking for more companies to offer interiors for their Shells, which is interesting. This could potentially push more people to their campers if they already have a Builder of choice from a previous rig) section; https://overlandex.com/builders-wanted/
So, @tacollie is now correct; OEV Shells are available to anyone.
We originally talked to Arnold about a shell in August at the Overland expo. He was ready to take our order. Seems like anybody interested in a shell should reach out to them to confirm the details.

Crux

That’s great that people can DIY or have a custom interior build.

I’m waiting on the 6.75/8 HW interior shots before deciding on which direction to go.

I like some of the recent decisions to move the weigh forward. Merge those ideas with the interior of the High Country (lots of windows, dimmable lights, and upper cabinets) and I think the HBE HW could be my next camper.

It would be great if they could move the truma forward too (near the propane tank) to make more exterior storage in the back - not sure if there is enough room to do that though.

Hope to see one in person sometime this year.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
We originally talked to Arnold about a shell in August at the Overland expo. He was ready to take our order. Seems like anybody interested in a shell should reach out to them to confirm the details.

I definitely agree with you; it seems OEV has the latest/most correct info, which is understandable, but that needs to quickly make its way to their dealers too since they're boots on ground for OEV--and then info back to OEV as well.
OEV knew that dealers had customers asking for Shells since Spring of '22, yet many dealers didn't hear the official word about Shells until Feb '23.

nice looking rig, thegoldrun!

would love to see a pic detailing how you attached your 1up rack to clear the "kickout" portion of the HBE at the rear of the camper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior