2021 Overland Explorer Vehicles (OEV) CAMP-HBE pop-up flatbed pickup camper (renamed the "Hudson Bay" for 2023 model year)

Chadx

♫ Off the road again. Just can't wait to get...
Very nice unit.

Is this unit approved for use in "Bear Country"?

I realize the canvas might be 8+ feet high, but I don't know what Rangers would say.

From my experience, no "soft side" are approved for bear country so places that strictly enforce it (a lot Canada and US National Parks) would still be a no-go. We've always been able to find a nearby areas where they are allowed. I've never been worried about bear when in our pop-tops, but we do follow best practices regarding food storage, etc.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I would rather them offer fully blank shell models. I suspect that based on pricing it's still a "semi-built" shell model like what they've shown with the Cross Country. So while you may add in systems and do some of your own interior I think you'll still be limited in a way with how they build and place items in the shell. In my preferred setup I'd go with a blank shell Alpine. I'd get rid of the crappy RV door they use and replace that with a side-entry Tern Wildlands door. Front would be a U or L-shaped dinette seating area and with a rear kitchen galley.

I think there will be a big market for these shell models. Prices are insane on everything nowadays and I think it's a great way to get a good camper body upfront and upgrade/build as you go. Bison Overland Campers had the right idea but they don't have the production throughput, dealer network, customer service, and reputation that OEV has. Being shell models I'd be you could get these campers in a very short time frame like 4-8 weeks at most. With Bison you're talking about a year and change if you're lucky. Plus I'm not sure I trust a startup company like Bison enough to fork over $40K+ until they are more established.

How thick is the cabin door that OEV uses?
Having a Tern Wildlands door, I do like the "bear mesh" on the screen door(door is 0.75" thick), but the outer Wildlands door is only 0.5" thick so hardly thermally efficient. As well, the Tern Wildlands door has THE strangest way of mounting; no removable hinge pins, door's aluminum legs are bonded to your cabin and then riveted on...meaning no easy way to replace a door if you need to, at least without f'in up your cabin. :(

Agreed on Bison--why I didn't pursue a cabin with them. Some stories regarding service/timing emerging from their "startup" hurdles.

Crux

Did you happen to tell him to hurry up with the 8 foot HBHW?

I'm curious why you would go with the HBW HW 8' vs 6.75'? Is it just for that little bit of extra storage where the kick out is?

The few 8' HBW SWs I've seen also have 8"-12" of the flatbed sticking out at the back (not sure if they were on an 8' aluma tray or 9' tho).

Seems like it makes for a very long truck that would be more difficult down tight trails.

Ninelitetrip

@Crux I think my first priority is just usable indoor living space and storage less concerned about tight trails. I do like the Alpine just wish it was about 7 feet in length just a little bit more room or say a 7 foot version of the HBE yes 8 feet is pretty lengthy, but I’m more interested in forestry roads national parks BLM state parks not concerned about whether I can get onto the some of the more gnarly trails. If it comes down to that I’ll park the truck and take a motorcycle which is what I’m moving up from.

My usage is geared more towards touring the US with a lot of back road back country not heading out to my backyard and camping out for a few days. That means carrying a little more than just what you need for a couple days.

I also would like to see at least three solar panels possibly four on the roof so space for that.

So now compare the 6.75 to the 8 HBE. In particular, the rear dinette and the rear exterior for the dinette on the 8 foot you get a full U-shaped and far more usable space. On the 6.75 the toilet has been moved into the passenger side on a slide out drawer, taking up a large amount of room and all the electrical and the water remain on the driver side space under the seat. With a 45° angle cut there’s very little usable storage under the dinette. Compare that to the storage space available under the U-shaped 8 foot dinette.

Next is just the extra space available on the rear exterior for additional storage and the spare tire being a bit lower and more accessible.

I have remarked in the past on how pleased I was with the amount of interior storage in the Aterra XL, and just a general feeling inside.

I would really like to see a redo on the interior of the HBE and how it’s sorted out. Somehow to have the water and all the electrical forward and the shower at the entrance.

Ultimately, it would be great to have a base camp on an F350 chassis but that is not happening.

Last edited:

Chadx

♫ Off the road again. Just can't wait to get...
...So now compare the 6.75 to the 8 HBE. In particular, the rear dinette and the rear exterior for the dinette on the 8 foot you get a full U-shaped and far more usable space. On the 6.75 the toilet has been moved into the passenger side on a slide out drawer, taking up a large amount of room.
...Compare that to the storage space available under the U-shaped 8 foot dinette.

@Ninelitetrip I think you are aware, but for others that might misinterpret your "U-shaped" comment, the 8' Hudson Bay does not have a U-shaped dinette. The dinette seating is exactly the same as the 6.75' Hudson Bay. The only difference is the amount of storage gained below the dinnette by there not being a notched/angled rear end. All of that gained space is below the dinette seat surface height so the seat cushion and dinettes are identical size/measurements on the 6.75' and 8' and the dinette table is mounted to the rear wall in both, so booth-style seating vs. U-shaped seating. The longer Base-Camp is the smallest size that gets the U-shaped dinette.

The under-dinette toilet location applies to both the 6.75' and the 8' Hudson Bay since the cabinet formerly used for the toilet now houses the battery tray.

Crux

@Ninelitetrip

Those are all good points. For me, aesthetically the kickout looks better, but the square back is more practical to maximize space.

I do wish OEV would move the water tank up by the cab. Seems like it would make sense to swap the water tank and propane locations. The propane tank is probably around ~37 lbs full while 38 gallons of water is around 317lbs!

I also wish there was a storage pass through in the back for long items (like skis or snowboards). Earthcruisers have this concept.

Agreed on the solar panels, need at least 3-4.

I am also curious if the HBE HW will have upper cabinets around the back walls like the High County or just the small cabinet above the sink.

Finally, I am concerned about what OEV is going to do with the half height closet that is in the softwall (I think batteries are in there now with a couple shelves). Hopefully it doesn’t just become a tall closet for a toilet like in the one hardwall Base Camp they built. That would be a waste of space. Ideally they tuck an enclosed shower in there and leave the toilet on a slide out under the passenger side dinette seat. Or create a top to bottom shelf system in that closet space. Or remove the enclosure so it feels more open like the Aterra.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
@Ninelitetrip

Those are all good points. For me, aesthetically the kickout looks better, but the square back is more practical to maximize space.

I do wish OEV would move the water tank up by the cab. Seems like it would make sense to swap the water tank and propane locations. The propane tank is probably around ~37 lbs full while 38 gallons of water is around 317lbs!

I also wish there was a storage pass through in the back for long items (like skis or snowboards). Earthcruisers have this concept.

Agreed on the solar panels, need at least 3-4.

I am also curious if the HBE HW will have upper cabinets around the back walls like the High County or just the small cabinet above the sink.

Finally, I am concerned about what OEV is going to do with the half height closet that is in the softwall (I think batteries are in there now with a couple shelves). Hopefully it doesn’t just become a tall closet for a toilet like in the one hardwall Base Camp they built. That would be a waste of space. Ideally they tuck an enclosed shower in there and leave the toilet on a slide out under the passenger side dinette seat. Or create a top to bottom shelf system in that closet space. Or remove the enclosure so it feels more open like the Aterra.

Half height cabinet to right of entry door appears to be only battery box/storage on bottom, and 2 adjustable L-track shelves. Bamboo top of this cabinet doesn't hinge up like it used to (to make a shower room).
Shower is in the dinette floor area, cassette toilet is on slide-out from pass rear dinette seat.
A shower pan in the entry way, ala BaseCamp, would be the smart play here, that way you could have a shower curtain above the entryway to act as a shower area, or more private potti area.
But the half height cabinet is still large and takes up a lot of room, crowds the interior feel.

Crux

I guess this website update answers some of the questions:

$82k+

Some highlights:
upper cabinet(s) above galley and dinette
narrow storage closet extension to ceiling with a tray on top for misc items, the lower
cabinet houses the water tank and batteries, the upper section is available for storage
• Toilet slides out from underneath the passenger side dinette seat (Toilet not included)

Inside shower under dinette table
• LED dimmable interior lighting
• LED rotating round bar located above galley

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Shower in the doorway I'd also prefer.

If they were permitted to raise the roof height in the SW a bit (like Alpine, BC ?) maybe there could be a permanent shower pan set on the floor (vs slide out one) with a grate on top like BC. Rest of aisle floor would be raised to match.

Then there could be taller under berth storage (even drawers a la Attera), counter height would effectively be lowered (for ease of use and top of closet easier to use for food prep), and step up to dinette reduced. The bless-ed water tank if moved to front wall would be partially sunken.

I'd maybe even put the batteries back under the dinette floor to maximize the closet for storage.

I'm not understanding why the countertops appear so tall/high in the OEV's. Look like 36"H. Why are they that high--to get the fridge in there and another drawer?

sn_85

Observer
The Cross Country https://overlandex.com/back-country-2/ was the first shell they offered starting last year. Based on the CAMP-X (Back Country), it comes with propane, Truma heater, all house battery wiring (including Victron DC/DC charger, USB and 12V outlets), roof vent/fan, etc. Will be interesting if they offer true shells (no heater, wiring, etc.) or stick with the "mostly shell" model. Better yet, offer selection of à la carte add-on to the shell to build out exactly where you want it.
View attachment 770642

Here is how I'd have a Hudson Bay built if customization were offered:
- Standard build with propane, water, Truma heater and water heater, etc. but minus the164L built-in fridge. I'd like storage shelving in that place to hold cube bags like an AT Overland Aterra XL.
- The front storage cabinet that now holds the batteries cut down to be a short cabinet on which I'd place a Luna 90 top-load, chest fridge. The cabinet height is just enough to hold batteries and with chest fridge on top, becomes nice step access in and out of the cabover (we sleep east west and so prefer to access near the wall rather than in the middle like is required by current Hudson Bay design)
- We'd have a large battery bank and inverter to power one induction burner, 120v outlets in the cabin and I'd wire a 120v exterior outlet which I'd use with extension cord and portable induction cooktop, battery chargers for eMTB, electric dirtbikes, charging fishing boat batteries, etc. Just nice to have an external 120v outlet for many things.
- Four solar panels on the roof rather than two and appropriately sized solar controller.
- Black countertop on all surfaces rather than bamboo.
- Galley countertop with no sink and no stovetop and no cutouts, but all propane and water lines stubbed out.
- The countertop would later be cut for different model sink and cooktop.
- The sink would be larger/deeper (even if I had to eliminate storage space below it and have a nice, separate, fixed faucet (not fold down) and a separate filtered drinking water dispenser.
- The built-in stovetop would have one propane burner and one induction burner.
- Option for different color/material for seat cushion or, offer a 'cushion delete' with associated discount and we'd have seat cushions custom made locally with the fabric of our choice.
- Mattress delete option (we've never used any of the mattresses in any of our campers. We remove and store them and put in our custom foam/memory foam mattress).

I'd change a few other minor things along the way.
- Replace interior LED dome light with perimeter string lights, as previously discussed.
- Change/add some plumbing fittings for the exterior shower lines so they can not only be isolated, as they are now, but drained independently of the main lines after they are isolated. This let's one isolate and drain rather than requiring the entire system be winterized, then isolating those lines, then rest of system be de-winterized (which you can't really do anyway since those lines are dead-headed if the valves are off, so you can flush out the antifreeze. No good way currently to get the water out of the lines once you isolate the outside shower unit. Would be a nice touch to be able to not only isolate, but drain the lines that run to the exterior fittings.
- Redesign that shower pan to get it slammed right down against the floor. Last redesign helped, but it's still elevated and short headroom. Get that pan all the way down to the floor to give nearly the full headroom of the main cabin (minus 1" or so for angled floor pan). Then, with the current grate system, you still have foot-support when seated at the dinette and also have a large storage space (that would have to be removed when using the shower, but gives valuable storage space all other times).

I've given much of this feedback to Mark and Arnold and hopefully some if it will trickle into future versions or can be made available on a "custom build" basis.

So I just spoke with Offgrid4x4 (formerly BVO) and they said the shell models are just that, empty shells. There is no buildout other than a door. From what I understood though you can't move the door, it is where it is. It also seems that the Cross Country model is no longer considered a shell model and the base pricing went up for that to $34,500. I guess this is good and bad but I wonder how many and if they had sold any Cross Country models at the $28,500 price which is where the shell model now starts at. The other thing I noticed was that they now list an 8' slide-in shell so I'm assuming they will be coming out with an 8' Back Country as well. Anyways, just some observations.

sn_85

Observer
Did Offgrid4x4 say they would get into the business of customizing the shells for clients?

I asked them that as well. They said for certain OEV parts they could build it in. For example, you can order a window that OEV offers and Offgrid would install it for you where you'd like. They can also install a propane cabinet for you or a storage hatch. So essentially they will install accessories that OEV provides. Outside of that I think you're on your own. They will not be getting into the business of doing interior buildouts such as cabinets, shelves, seating, etc etc. I asked them if they will be working or partnering with an interior builder and that is TBD.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
So I just spoke with Offgrid4x4 (formerly BVO) and they said the shell models are just that, empty shells. There is no buildout other than a door. From what I understood though you can't move the door, it is where it is. It also seems that the Cross Country model is no longer considered a shell model and the base pricing went up for that to $34,500. I guess this is good and bad but I wonder how many and if they had sold any Cross Country models at the $28,500 price which is where the shell model now starts at. The other thing I noticed was that they now list an 8' slide-in shell so I'm assuming they will be coming out with an 8' Back Country as well. Anyways, just some observations.

Surprisingly, the entry door can be placed wherever you'd like it. This has been confirmed with OEV. I would have thought they'd be sticklers on it staying in the standard HB location for the simplicity of their workers.

I asked them that as well. They said for certain OEV parts they could build it in. For example, you can order a window that OEV offers and Offgrid would install it for you where you'd like. They can also install a propane cabinet for you or a storage hatch. So essentially they will install accessories that OEV provides. Outside of that I think you're on your own. They will not be getting into the business of doing interior buildouts such as cabinets, shelves, seating, etc etc. I asked them if they will be working or partnering with an interior builder and that is TBD.

Correct; OEV dealer would install a window or propane locker or hatch wherever you want them placed, or can install other OEV items/accessories (solar panels, Molle panels, etc).

Interior buildout is not DIY'able however; it'll be overseen by the OEV dealer and/or their partners of choice, so that the overall camper still resembles OEV quality or better. Apparently this is why they drug their feet on allowing Shell sales for so long; they didn't want a DIY'er slapping some Craigslist vintage cabinets and a Husky tool cart in an OEV shell and calling it an "OEV build." They want to uphold the image of quality they've been building for going on what, almost 10yrs now?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12