Lexus GX550 Overtrail vs. Grenadier or new Toyota Land Cruiser?

nickw

Adventurer
It's worth noting, hearsay as of now but worth thinking about, from the dudes on IH8mud, there seems to be some running gear differences between the LC250 and GX550 (along with other models), numbers below reference R&P size in inches:

"The hybrid Tundra (and maybe Sequoia) get the 10.7.
The gasser Tundra/Sequoia get the 9.7.
The J300, LX600?, most J252 (GX550) - likely all US models, and Trailhunter Tacoma all get the 9.5.
And then the LC250, some world market J252 (GX550), and the rest of the Tacomas get the 8.2."

beef tits

Problem with the hybrid is not fear, but they do not offer anything useful. No increase in range or MPG. But they are a added failure point and in the case of the Sequoia, they take up a lot of cargo space.

The new LC is reported to get 27 MPG combined which is considerably more than the GX550’s reported 17 MPG. Not even close. Toyota is also the pioneer in hybrid vehicles, you don’t seem like you’ve ever owned one… they are rock solid.

As for range, it’s likely to have a much smaller tank to offset battery weight.

My 2017 Prius goes about 500 miles on a 10 gallon fillup.

Not to mention, LESS maintenance. The engine runs half as often, so oil change intervals are long.

beef tits

Not all Toyota systems use the same electric system. i- FORCE Max system ICE goes on at 18 mph

What does it achieve without it? That was my point. It adds nothing in mpg or range. It does add low end torque below 18 mph (which is when it shuts off), so it is not totally useless.

The 27 mpg number is not official and the web page has been updated ("Fuel economy estimates will be announced closer to Land Cruiser’s on-sale date.").

At an invite only event at Toyota Motor North America HQ I spoke directly to the engineers and they confirmed this.
More fuel is consumed from stop and go driving than at highway speeds. Why does this not make sense to you? That’s where any hybrid excels, city driving. Guess what else happens real slow, stop and go, most of the time? Off roading…

Umbrarian

Observer
The new LC is reported to get 27 MPG combined which is considerably more than the GX550’s reported 17 MPG. Not even close. Toyota is also the pioneer in hybrid vehicles, you don’t seem like you’ve ever owned one… they are rock solid.

As for range, it’s likely to have a much smaller tank to offset battery weight.

My 2017 Prius goes about 500 miles on a 10 gallon fillup.

Not to mention, LESS maintenance. The engine runs half as often, so oil change intervals are long.

ROFL - “engine runs half as often” I guess if you spend 50% of your time below 18 mph that would be true.

I-Force Max is New hybrid and works completely different than Prius.

27 mpg already debunked and mileage is same without the Hybrid

Folks really do not understand this vehicle.

Umbrarian

Observer
More fuel is consumed from stop and go driving than at highway speeds. Why does this not make sense to you? That’s where any hybrid excels, city driving. Guess what else happens real slow, stop and go, most of the time? Off roading…

And if added 5-10 mpg that would be great. But it does not.

As already pointed out, this hybrid adds power and low end torque not mpg/ range

Last edited:

Dougnuts

As already pointed out, this hybrid adds power and low end torque not mpg/ range

I'd bet that the LC combined average is 5 mpg higher than the 17 I'm seeing for GX550. $20 wager that the LC gets 23 combined? :)

Umbrarian

Observer
I'd bet that the LC combined average is 5 mpg higher than the 17 I'm seeing for GX550. $20 wager that the LC gets 23 combined? :)
I would hope a 4 cylinder 2.4Turbo gets better mileage than a 6 cylinder 3.4 twin turbo. Numbers I have seen for the 3.4 Twin on the Sequoia are all over the place 12-20 as reported by folks driving them. Friend with TRD PRO Tundra is getting 17-18.

I think 22-24 is a good guess. More is great, less is disappointing.

T-Willy

What does it achieve without it? That was my point. It adds nothing in mpg or range. It does add low end torque below 18 mph (which is when it shuts off), so it is not totally useless.

The 27 mpg number is not official and the web page has been updated ("Fuel economy estimates will be announced closer to Land Cruiser’s on-sale date.").

At an invite only event at Toyota Motor North America HQ I spoke directly to the engineers and they confirmed this.

The Toyota Canada website is current and states 27 mpg in metric equivalents: https://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/register-for-land-cruiser-updates

It does not state that "Fuel economy estimates will be announced closer to Land Cruiser's on-sale date." Lack of published estimate for the US market almost certainly owes to lack of an EPA rating (where in Canada, in contrast, they have a government rating).

It does state that, "Fuel efficiency estimates were determined using approved Government of Canada/Transport Canada Test Methods. Actual fuel consumption will vary based on driving habits and other factors.

Please cite source (link) your statement that the Land Cruiser electric motor "shuts off" over 18 mph.

Last edited:

T-Willy

It's worth noting, hearsay as of now but worth thinking about, from the dudes on IH8mud, there seems to be some running gear differences between the LC250 and GX550 (along with other models), numbers below reference R&P size in inches:

"The hybrid Tundra (and maybe Sequoia) get the 10.7.
The gasser Tundra/Sequoia get the 9.7.
The J300, LX600?, most J252 (GX550) - likely all US models, and Trailhunter Tacoma all get the 9.5.
And then the LC250, some world market J252 (GX550), and the rest of the Tacomas get the 8.2."

To be clear, rear diff spec for the J250 hybrid in the US market have not been published.

We do know that
  • the non-hybrid Tacoma and J250 (non-hybrid, non-US market) will get 8.2;
  • the Tacoma Trailhunter Hybrid, J252 and J300 get 9.5;
  • Toyota upsized rear diffs on hybrid vs. gasser Tundras too.

But we don't yet know diff size the J250 hybrid (US market).

The hybrid, given its torque, may well be paired with a 9.5, like Tacoma hybrid, or possibly an 8.7. Or, perhaps torque distribution of Land Cruiser's AWD is sufficiently supported by an 8.2 (which has been bombproof in 4Runner). We'll see. No matter, I trust Toyota's engineering.

The rear diffs on the prototype LC250s that have been shown in the US
  • appear different than that used in LC300 and J252 (GX550);
  • are of unknown size;
  • are not the 8.2 used in 4Runner; and
  • may not reflect production.

Last edited:

T-Willy

Seems like Toyota didn't get your memo. Maybe send that along?

"This hybrid engine generates an electrifying 465 lb.-ft. of torque and enhanced fuel economy, with an estimated 8.7 L/100km† (27 mpg) to bring you confidence to cover even more ground."
https://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/register-for-land-cruiser-updates

Umbrarian

Observer
Please cite source (link) your statement that the Land Cruiser electric motor "shuts off" over 18 mph.
To be precise, electric mode only shuts off and the ICE comes on at 18mph source is Toyota.com.

It is also personal experience as I have driven Tundra and a Sequoia TRD Pro and have experienced it.

Last edited:

Dougnuts

He corrected that - meant to say that the ICE is always running above 18mph.

My Camry and wife's RAV4, if placed in EV mode, will kick out of EV mode and say "Max EV Speed Reached". However, it will sometimes maintain speed on the highway using only the electric motor, I just can't force it via the EV button.

I reached out to my friend with a hybrid Tundra and he confirmed that the engine is usually running, that the electric motor is used as a power adder and to run the car at very low RPMs or at idle. With that said, there's no reason, that I'm aware of, that Toyota couldn't program it a bit differently in the LC.

We also have a different engine in the LC vs. GX550, whereas the Tundra and Tundra hybrid are the same engine. That's where a lot of the savings will come from.

Umbrarian

Observer
Seems like Toyota didn't get your memo. Maybe send that along?

"This hybrid engine generates an electrifying 465 lb.-ft. of torque and enhanced fuel economy, with an estimated 8.7 L/100km† (27 mpg) to bring you confidence to cover even more ground."
https://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/register-for-land-cruiser-updates
Info came directly from Toyota North American HQ at a recent event. They disowned the number. Great if it really gets that.

I don’t follow numbers in Canada. If you get a higher mpg, great for you

Actual numbers for Tundra and Sequoia are lower than EPA numbers from owners I know. This is almost always the case in USA with EPA numbers

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179