Lexus GX550 Overtrail vs. Grenadier or new Toyota Land Cruiser?

llamalander

It's probably worth saying that a Hybrid is not an either/or arrangement of motors.
Yes, many are programmed to run the electric motors only at low speeds, but they don't automatically shut off above a certain speed. The electric drive both adds energy to the ICE drivetrain, but captures that inertia during braking and stores it in the battery--Regen it's called. That power can then be added back to the drive-shaft and add to the ICE hp/torque... hence the increased mileage. Due to the better mileage (and not insubstantial battery weight) the fuel tank is usually smaller, because the vehicle will go just as far on less gas = better mileage.

Electric cars are often classed with MPGe, which is miles per gallon equivalent, meaning how far can an EV go on 33.41kilowatt hours of power = the equivalent electrical power in one gallon of gas. When an EV can go well over 100 miles on one MPGe, that indicates that the motor must be super efficient to move a several ton vehicle so far on so little energy--usually pretty quickly too. The benefits of adding an electric drive and regen braking to an IC vehicle are significant, and it can be done with a battery that is 10-20% the size required by an EV.

The cost, next to our fairly inexpensive gas, may take half-a-dozen years to recoup, but even so, the real costs and real benefits of hybrid and full EV vehicles can compete with internal combustion. The industrial incentive is that the automaker gets the first 6-7 years of money you don't spend on gas, instead of shell/exxon/bp. The consumer advantage is that after year 6 or 7, you give less cash to anyone, and the maintenance is less because the shared drivetrain--IC with electric boost & braking--has less wear.

It is not a fiction that the hybrid Toyotas will get such an improvement from the hybrid systems that they will move from the bottom of the MPG scale to the top of the class for offroad tanks. When other manufacturers start adding hybrid tech to their competing vehicles, we will see similar, huge, jumps in MPG.

nickw

Adventurer
I have owned and driven Land Cruisers for more than three decades and know well their robustness. But that robustness was also paired, in the 100 and more so 200, with an increasing luxury bloat that badly taxed those trucks' capacities, utility, and value. Toyota force fed the US market needless luxury crap.

The 250 is a welcome course correction to Land Cruiser's original utility, but in modern form. I'm eager to see how much of that robustness it retains as US specs become available.
I've been around them for ~30 years too.....it's a course correction as long as it's not a "LC" body using the same drivetrain as a 4R....aka Prado(ish).

XJLI

Adventurer
I've been around them for ~30 years too.....it's a course correction as long as it's not a "LC" body using the same drivetrain as a 4R....aka Prado(ish).

If you want to split hairs, they're all the same now since its all TNGA-F.

Arguably, the big boy LC hasn't been its own unique parts and pieces since the 100. Most front end parts of the 200 and 2nd gen Tundra are interchangeable.

nickw

Adventurer
If you want to split hairs, they're all the same now since its all TNGA-F.

Arguably, the big boy LC hasn't been its own unique parts and pieces since the 100. Most front end parts of the 200 and 2nd gen Tundra are interchangeable.
Per my previous post - that is not necessarily true....many things are the same, "architecture" is the same but sub components / assemblies may be different as we know at least the rear axle is not uniformly shared.

In the case of the Tundra, it has a sim GVWR to the LC so it's understandable....I was just pointing out that if it gets downsized parts from a 4R then it becomes what historically was a GX / Prado in my mind.

35xj

Adventurer
i just finished up building and running the US press launch for the GX. It’s a pretty impressive truck!

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
It's probably worth saying that a Hybrid is not an either/or arrangement of motors.
Yes, many are programmed to run the electric motors only at low speeds, but they don't automatically shut off above a certain speed. The electric drive both adds energy to the ICE drivetrain, but captures that inertia during braking and stores it in the battery--Regen it's called. That power can then be added back to the drive-shaft and add to the ICE hp/torque... hence the increased mileage. Due to the better mileage (and not insubstantial battery weight) the fuel tank is usually smaller, because the vehicle will go just as far on less gas = better mileage.

Electric cars are often classed with MPGe, which is miles per gallon equivalent, meaning how far can an EV go on 33.41kilowatt hours of power = the equivalent electrical power in one gallon of gas. When an EV can go well over 100 miles on one MPGe, that indicates that the motor must be super efficient to move a several ton vehicle so far on so little energy--usually pretty quickly too. The benefits of adding an electric drive and regen braking to an IC vehicle are significant, and it can be done with a battery that is 10-20% the size required by an EV.

The cost, next to our fairly inexpensive gas, may take half-a-dozen years to recoup, but even so, the real costs and real benefits of hybrid and full EV vehicles can compete with internal combustion. The industrial incentive is that the automaker gets the first 6-7 years of money you don't spend on gas, instead of shell/exxon/bp. The consumer advantage is that after year 6 or 7, you give less cash to anyone, and the maintenance is less because the shared drivetrain--IC with electric boost & braking--has less wear.

It is not a fiction that the hybrid Toyotas will get such an improvement from the hybrid systems that they will move from the bottom of the MPG scale to the top of the class for offroad tanks. When other manufacturers start adding hybrid tech to their competing vehicles, we will see similar, huge, jumps in MPG.
This almost comes across as an AI BOT.- A fluff piece…

T-Willy

The question for me will be whether and how it is engineered for durability, reliability, and longevity, not similarity or dissimilarity to other vehicles. It could be that other models will be vastly more robust than their predecessors and less dissimilar to one another given the transition to the TNGA-F platform. For example, the Tacoma hybrid TH upgrades to a 9.5 rear diff, like generations of Land Cruisers before, presumably to account for the hybrid's massive torque. It also finally gets a respectable (and useful) payload of around 1700lbs. The LC 250 (at least from prototype photos) front end appears similar to Tacoma's in that, unlike the GX550, it uses double-sheer (not single sheer) shock mounts, and positions components aft (instead of in front) of axle to guard from (rather than remain prone to) rock strikes. I am all for the 250 sharing the turbo hybrid drivetrain with Tacoma. It's got the power and efficiency of a diesel paired with hybrid reliability; it's an ideal modern drivetrain for remote touring, which is Land Cruiser's longstanding core purpose.

At the end of the day, Land Cruiser engineers have earned my trust and benefit of the doubt for having built trucks that for more than three decades have returned our family safely home from countless journeys into the remote. I have no reason to doubt them now, and I have seen zero evidence to support such doubt.

And, I'm really glad that Toyota has abandoned the failed model of force-feeding the U.S. market costly, needless, luxury bloat, ala 200 series.

Last edited:

nickw

Adventurer
The question for me will be whether and how it is engineered for durability, reliability, and longevity, not similarity or dissimilarity to other vehicles. It could be that other models will be vastly more robust than their predecessors and less dissimilar to one another given the transition to the TNGA-F platform. For example, the Tacoma hybrid TH upgrades to a 9.5 rear diff, like generations of Land Cruisers before, presumably to account for the hybrid's massive torque. It also finally gets a respectable (and useful) payload of around 1700lbs. The LC 250 (at least from prototype photos) front end appears similar to Tacoma's in that, unlike the GX550, it uses double-sheer (not single sheer) shock mounts, and positions components aft (instead of in front) of axle to guard from (rather than remain prone to) rock strikes. I am all for the 250 sharing the turbo hybrid drivetrain with Tacoma. It's got the power and efficiency of a diesel paired with hybrid reliability; it's an ideal modern drivetrain for remote touring, which is Land Cruiser's longstanding core purpose.

At the end of the day, Land Cruiser engineers have earned my trust and benefit of the doubt for having built trucks that for more than three decades have returned our family safely home from countless journeys into the remote. I have no reason to doubt them now, and I have seen zero evidence to support such doubt.
Time will tell - but I think we can all agree, based on my previous post, that if the LC250 ends up with same drivetrain as a std. Tacoma / 4R (with the smaller rear axles) that will be very disappointing. At that point it's a "Landcruiser" in the same sense a GX460/470 is, which is a huge break from tradition. I'm fine if it shares the 9.5" rear end - that was tradition for Landcruiser and if they want to use that in a Tacoma Trailhunter, more power to them....very robust for that platform and tells you something, it was needed for a platform that needed the durability. My hunch is the LC250 won't share the same rear axle since, in theory, it goes through more rigorous durability and longevity testing.

The badge, to me, is meaningless at this point...I need to be convinced that it's "Landcruiser" based on how it's built and the engineering decisions that went in to it....Toyota better not screw that up and I'll trust them as far as I can throw any other large corporation who have a financial board to report to.

llamalander

"This almost comes across as an AI BOT.- A fluff piece…"

Sure, really basic information about common tech that came out 27 years ago.... and people don't seem to get how it works, or feel that physics is probably just someones' opinion.

If fluff can get my 3-ton vehicle another 10mpg, get me the fluff!

Umbrarian

Observer
So first real world report I have seen for MPG for the 2.4Turbo is

24.2 MPG highway
12.4 MPG Highway towing a single axle camping trailer.

nickw

Adventurer
So first real world report I have seen for MPG for the 2.4Turbo is

24.2 MPG highway
12.4 MPG Highway towing a single axle camping trailer.

It's amazing how much towing eats into good mileage....my Ram 2500 gets 12-13 pulling a 7k trailer down the highway.....

CanyonLX

A few of my friends have a Grenadier; they all love it. Long car trips to the mtns, packing family and gear, no complaints. I have driven a few, they seem solid for a new entry to the market.

To your question, what to get. All depends how you want to use it. Do you need the extra HP in the lexus? Do you want to be a guinea pig for the IG? I dont see why anyone in the US would by a new LC Prado over a 4Runner, they are essentially (but hypothetically) the same car with different badges. I would consider a LC200 over the new Prado, if you were really wanting to go the LC route.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online