Lexus GX550 Overtrail vs. Grenadier or new Toyota Land Cruiser?

jchasse

Ineos seems like a fringe, cringe? brand. Going for land rover looks, and hopefully better-than land rover reliability. Good luck finding parts. I wouldn't go anywhere near one compared to a reputable model line like the Toyota Land Cruiser.

As for GX vs LC? Same vehicle. The GX550 is just a bloated, tricked-out Toyota.... like every other Lexus. I say that as a Lexus owner. How many fancy features do you want?

Based on the reputation associated with the looks alone, the Grenadier seems more comparable to a literal grenade when stacked against a couple Toyotas. No thanks. Not even close.
Two vehicles with different drive trains are not the "same vehicle".

Last edited:

Dougnuts

So an F150 with a v6 isn’t the same vehicle as an F150 with a v8?

They damn sure are. Same vehicle, different options.

Toyota's reliability target for the Tundra was 1.5x the Lexus LX600. Those have "the same" engine and transmission.

I would not be the least bit surprised to learn the same is true for the LC vs the GX.

Jeff_DML

US LC250 base prices, mpg(23mpg combined) and tow spec(6k) is up

IMG_6766.jpegIMG_6767.jpeg
In Botswana a REAL Landcruiser costs ~Pula 500k or ~$35k. 5 speed, naturally aspirated non electronic 4.2L 6 cyl diesel. Main options are F/R diff locks and extra 90L fuel tank. These pictures taken today in Moremi Game Reserve at Third Bridge but LC pickups (crew cab now factory option) are everywhere. Obviously bush vehicle of choice.
Front solid axle with coils, rear very HD leaves.

Umbrarian

Observer
Interesting hearsay.

Toyota has published and not retracted the LC250 hybrid mileage estimate on its Canadian website, per Canadian govt. methodology.

I too look forward to Toyota publishing LC250's EPA rating for the U.S.

"hearsay" LOL. Just as I said, almost as if I was talking directly to the engineers. Oh wait, I was....

22city, 25highway, 23combined.

T-Willy

Nits aside, the real question is why the difference between US and Canada.

Toyota Canada website's estimate states that it is based on the Canadian government's official methods.

So, it must be a difference between US EPA and Canada methods for estimating mileage.

Also, the Canada website also said "up to" the metric equivalent of 27 mpg (highway alone, rather than city and highway combined). Real world mileage of the 4 cyl turbo in the new Tacoma has exceeded EPA estimates in reviews I've seen. So, two mpg more than EPA's estimate of 25 highway (27 highway, as touted in Canada) might not be unheard of in the real world. We'll see.

beef tits

Toyota's reliability target for the Tundra was 1.5x the Lexus LX600. Those have "the same" engine and transmission.

I would not be the least bit surprised to learn the same is true for the LC vs the GX.

Irrelevant metrics.

The GX550 is the same base vehicle as the new Land Cruiser. Are you trying to prove that wrong? It's the same vehicle... just with more crap to break.

Last edited:

GetOutThere

Adventurer
Nits aside, the real question is why the difference between US and Canada.

I'm sure its differences in testing methodology, but I'll admit I was a little surprised by the delta.

I'd say the real question is, which proves to be more accurate in daily driving? I'm leaning toward the EPA, but I'd be happy to be wrong.

vpd543

Do you know if it's tuned for regular gas, or does it require premium?
This has been a conversation on another LC forum. It looks like there are some manuals surfacing that indicate premium (i.e., 91+) required, but not 100% confirmed. Language in the manual is a little bit ambiguous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior