Samurai as Daily Driver?

trackhead

Adventurer
The tires are 31x12.5-R15 Super Swamper SSRs on 15x10 wheels. The engine is all stock except for a Thorley header and custom exhaust. Gearing is perfectly compensated for with the Trail Tough 6.4:1 t-case gears; ring & pinion gears are stock, but I have a Lock Right in the rear diff. Lift consists of 4" Rocky Road Outfitters budget kit (Deaver springs) and a 2" body lift. This helps keeps the center of gravity nice and low for extreme off-camber stability and good handling on-road. I have custom Sky Mfg. crossover steering so the drag link is perfectly parallel to the ground. This Sami rides and drives better than stock, yet it's built up enough to make the Rubicon Trail a cakewalk.

I'm setting up my first Samurai for a DD and was considering the same set up. My only concern was the axle strength with a rear locker, big tires, etc.

Any issues?

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
I'm setting up my first Samurai for a DD and was considering the same set up. My only concern was the axle strength with a rear locker, big tires, etc.

Any issues?

No problem at all. On a previous Samurai I ran 33x14.50 Swamper SSRs (measured the same height as 35" BFG's but lots wider and heavier) and never had rear axle breakage issues. I 'wheeled it on all the hardest trails too, and drove it for 50,000 miles with no problems, but I am not the type to abuse my vehicles by getting too throttle-happy. Slow and controlled, and you won't have any problems.

trackhead

Adventurer
No problem at all. On a previous Samurai I ran 33x14.50 Swamper SSRs (measured the same height as 35" BFG's but lots wider and heavier) and never had rear axle breakage issues. I 'wheeled it on all the hardest trails too, and drove it for 50,000 miles with no problems, but I am not the type to abuse my vehicles by getting too throttle-happy. Slow and controlled, and you won't have any problems.

Thanks for the first hand account.

zukrider

Explorer
driveability is fine. with the 4.9's, i can run 70 mph on flat highway with no wind in 4th gear. im stepping up to 4.30's to get 5th gear back. now, my mileage is 20-22 ish. with the 4.30 i expect to be back to 25. when i myside, ill hope to be closer to 30

shahram

Adventurer
Who has one for DD duties, and how is it?

I drove one for almost a year, about 70 miles per day, on L.A. freeways. Great on gas (I was getting ~25 mpg), and a unique, very old school ride. I loved having a traditional, solid axle 4x4, and the soft top was great in fair weather. It was really fun to drive, but as a distance commuter, it started to wear on my nerves. Here's a little rundown of why:

1. No one will respect you. People love Samis. You'll get constant compliments, thumbs up, people asking about it at the gas station. But, on the freeway, no one will care. Because you're too slow for the fast lane, you'll be relegated to the slow lanes, where trucks and boy racers and people who think that the slow lane is the "weave lane" will ride you, cut you off, not see you, and generally pretend that you're completely harmless to them, and sticking you in harm's way has no consequence to them.

2. Fast enough to get into trouble, too slow to get out. When things go pear-shaped at highway speed, if you can't brake and maneuver out of the way, don't expect that you'll be able to accelerate out of it, either. Driving a Samurai is like riding a scooter--you have to be three times as vigilant, three times as cautious, and figure that everyone is trying to crash into you.

3. Samurais are dangerous. Short wheel base, high center of gravity, very little sheet metal between you and certain mangling, skittish steering, tons of bumpstop, unpredictable suspension behavior--these things don't make for a relaxing commute. You won't fall asleep at the wheel, but white-knuckling your commute will get tiresome after the first few months. And in weather? Forget it.

If your commute is five miles on city streets, at slow speeds, etc., it may not be a bad idea. If you're gonna do highway time in one of these things, and you still must drive a utilitarian, slow 4x4, you're gonna need a certain kind of personality, one that loves a bit of daily punishment and annoyance, and a metric ********-ton of patience.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I drove one for almost a year, about 70 miles per day, on L.A. freeways. <snip> If your commute is five miles on city streets, at slow speeds, etc., it may not be a bad idea. If you're gonna do highway time in one of these things, and you still must drive a utilitarian, slow 4x4, you're gonna need a certain kind of personality, one that loves a bit of daily punishment and annoyance, and a metric ********-ton of patience.
That was thoughtful, well-written and matches my conclusions. Good contribution.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
Samurai's obviously aren't for everyone. Just like motorcycles aren't. But if you love your Samurai, you will LOVE your Samurai and wouldn't trade it for the world. I've been driving them since I bought my first one in 1994 and I still find them to be an absolute barrel of laughs every time I get behind the wheel. They are unlike anything else out there, for better or for worse. Sure, they're slow - but they're way more fun than anything else on the road! :wings:

tombodad

Adventurer
Samurai's obviously aren't for everyone. Just like motorcycles aren't. But if you love your Samurai, you will LOVE your Samurai and wouldn't trade it for the world. I've been driving them since I bought my first one in 1994 and I still find them to be an absolute barrel of laughs every time I get behind the wheel. They are unlike anything else out there, for better or for worse. Sure, they're slow - but they're way more fun than anything else on the road! :wings:

Okay, Geoff. You really gotta stop with these kind of posts. You're gonna bankrupt me by causing me to buy one before my motorcycle sells. :drool:

NapaBavarian

Probably the wisest words spoken, they really are a third world car, perfect for running around town up to 45mph, they will do low highway speeds, but I'd never make a highway commute in one, granted I won't highway commute on my motorcycle, it isn't a matter of if you will be hit by some idiot, but when, when I was a kid my father rode a commute bus 50 miles each way to work for 36 years, they got hit about every 54-5 years by some careless nut in a hurry, you want some protection around you, at least a mid sized car.

I drove one for almost a year, about 70 miles per day, on L.A. freeways. Great on gas (I was getting ~25 mpg), and a unique, very old school ride. I loved having a traditional, solid axle 4x4, and the soft top was great in fair weather. It was really fun to drive, but as a distance commuter, it started to wear on my nerves. Here's a little rundown of why:

1. No one will respect you. People love Samis. You'll get constant compliments, thumbs up, people asking about it at the gas station. But, on the freeway, no one will care. Because you're too slow for the fast lane, you'll be relegated to the slow lanes, where trucks and boy racers and people who think that the slow lane is the "weave lane" will ride you, cut you off, not see you, and generally pretend that you're completely harmless to them, and sticking you in harm's way has no consequence to them.

2. Fast enough to get into trouble, too slow to get out. When things go pear-shaped at highway speed, if you can't brake and maneuver out of the way, don't expect that you'll be able to accelerate out of it, either. Driving a Samurai is like riding a scooter--you have to be three times as vigilant, three times as cautious, and figure that everyone is trying to crash into you.

3. Samurais are dangerous. Short wheel base, high center of gravity, very little sheet metal between you and certain mangling, skittish steering, tons of bumpstop, unpredictable suspension behavior--these things don't make for a relaxing commute. You won't fall asleep at the wheel, but white-knuckling your commute will get tiresome after the first few months. And in weather? Forget it.

If your commute is five miles on city streets, at slow speeds, etc., it may not be a bad idea. If you're gonna do highway time in one of these things, and you still must drive a utilitarian, slow 4x4, you're gonna need a certain kind of personality, one that loves a bit of daily punishment and annoyance, and a metric ********-ton of patience.

tombodad

Adventurer
This will purely be an in-town (<40 mph) commuter and backwoods explorer rig. Plus, something fun to wrench on and modify, without messing up my truck. Still in the market, if anyone ever buys my motorcycle... :bike_rider:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998