2M Antenna Recommendations?

Carlyle

Explorer
What about a longer fold down 2/6 meter antenna that could conceivably fold over a 15 foot roof? Any Recommendations? It would have to attach to a folding mount of some sort and for obvious reasons only be used when stationary.

FLYFISHEXPERT

LivingOverland.com
Here are some more NOOB questions.

What about the length of antennas on the hood/fender mounts? I am looking at picking up a Yaesu 1802 and want to mount the antenna on the hood with a Larson 'L-bracket' mount. I saw DaveinDenver's comments, here, to jeffryscott about using a 1/4wave antenna but it seems the preferred antenna is 5/8wave. I park in a garage so I can't go too tall.

Also after I pick out the antenna, what about the coax to connect the two? I assume the Larson MNO K found here will work.

Paul R

Adventurer
I can't quite remember which antenna I have, it is a dual band 5/8 wave so it is a bit different than just 2m but is not too tall though about the same as the stock antenna, and it works great. I used an L bracket for mine it worked great. I don't see any reason why you can't use the coax you posted.

Here is a pic to give you an idea of the height (The antenna on the drivers side is the HAM, the passanger side is CB and stock).

DSCN1475.jpg

the dude

Adventurer
Is any body using an antenna attached to a bull bar out front on their trucks? What are the disadvantages to doing this? Lower antenna location? I would think the grounding would be OK.

I was thinking where my CB antenna is now after I ditch the CB for the ham. I like it out front as I know when it is going to get into trouble and its seems to work OK on the CB.

IMG_1410.jpg

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
I ran my HAM antenna on my ARB.. worked just fine and hit 80+ miles away simples. I think ham antennas are a little bit more forgiving with the ground plane vs. CB.

Anyways, it became invisible to me after a bit.

And if i smacked it on a branch... it would fold :D

fetus

Observer
SoCalFJ,

I had the exact same antenna on a Death Valley trip 3 years ago. It was my first outing with it and was very pleased with the results on 440/2m. As I was making my way down to Racetrack, the road was really washboarded out.

The antenna ended up breaking off right at the base where the antenna meets the base. Sheared right off. My buddy behind me saw it in the road and picked it up. Was useless after that. Well, not totally, I roasted hotdogs and marshmallows with it.

I would suggest you carry a spare. I ended up going with a Hustler 2m antenna with a spring mounted base. Doesn't work well at all on 440, but I mostly use it for 2m simplex and APRS.

Loco-Nomad

Adventurer
What about glass mounted dual band antennas? I just passed my Technical last week and am still waiting my call sign,Can't wait!! I just put a glass mounted dual band antenna on my Dodge 2500 and I am picking up 2 meter good from my house but haven't picked anything up on 70 cm yet. Looks nice and not a huge whip antenna but is this the right choice??

nickt

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0009
+1 for Diamond Antenna

I have 4 dual-band Diamond NR770HB antennas, on the Land Rovers and the Dodge Ram, which also uses the K400S mount.

I like the Diamond gear for the following reasons:

• It's tough and built well, I've not had a failure yet
  • It's reasonably priced, though a little more than the Comet
  • They use a good quality co-axial cable
  • They supply small plugs, so it's easy to fit through bulkheads, etc.
  • Their mounts and antenna are all modular, and fairly interchangeable with the rest of their range
I also use their larger, fixed station, antennas at home and they are holding up well to the Colorado summers and winters. They make good kit and I recommend them.

James86004

Expedition Leader
If I mount my 2m antenna directly through my roof, and then I add a metal roof rack such that the antenna sticks up right next to it, how much will the roof rack crossbars interfere with the signal? The upper bar will be about 8 inches above the roof level. Would I be better off mounting the antenna to the roof rack?

The roof would give a better ground plane, but if the lower third of the antenna is obscured, how big of an advantage is that?

rusty_tlc

Explorer
If I mount my 2m antenna directly through my roof, and then I add a metal roof rack such that the antenna sticks up right next to it, how much will the roof rack crossbars interfere with the signal? The upper bar will be about 8 inches above the roof level. Would I be better off mounting the antenna to the roof rack?

The roof would give a better ground plane, but if the lower third of the antenna is obscured, how big of an advantage is that?
Base on what I know the roof rack will cause some change in the transmit pattern of your antenna, my guess is the elevation angle on the rack side would be slightly higher. Probably not noticeable for the most part.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I doubt there is any interference with any roof rack it's that it may radiate the signal and cause different polarization patterns. You probably won't know it unless you use a meter and test it.

Most everyone on mobile uses a 1/4 or half wave, portable would really be what you need as 2 meters is not a big rig unless you get an aray of beams going for moon bounce. I have an old MFJ 3 element beam on PVC pipe that I can pop up in the back of the truck or where ever and a J pole for omni work.

To start with a mag mount works well on the roof to hit repeaters....:coffeedrink:

11b4v

Adventurer
just in case

no ground plane needed for 1/2 or 5/8s wave mobile antennas. You only need to support 1/4 wave mobile/base antennas with a ground plane.

so mount whatever 1/2 or 5/8 wherever you want on your vehicle.

Higher the better of course.

Tennmogger

Explorer
5/8 wave needs ground plane.

no ground plane needed for 1/2 or 5/8s wave mobile antennas. You only need to support 1/4 wave mobile/base antennas with a ground plane.

so mount whatever 1/2 or 5/8 wherever you want on your vehicle.

Higher the better of course.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste