Josh's 2014 Xterra Pro 4x - guided by necessity

Trixter404

Observer
Did the Fortune Creek run with The Northwest Xterra Club this weekend. It was a fun trail, terminating in a mountain lake. Here's a few photos, some of which I stole from Trixter404 (hope you don't mind, Steve).

I don't mind at all. It is a fun trail. It was the run that I looked forward to most this year, although camping at the lake would have been nice.

Dmski

Adventurer
Sweet pictures! Wished I could have gone with the group but I'm still going to try to get up there before the snow falls this year.

jhberria

Adventurer
Let me know when/if you go. I could be talked into running that trail again. I'd like to camp at the lake, as I didn't get to this time.

EZE

Observer
Just a thought if you're still in the area, the Canadian Gulf Islands are basically part of the same chain as the San Juans and my wife and I have found them to be a bit less crowded and populated with more-friendly Canadian types. Plus they're a short hop from Vancouver Island by ferry which (I've heard) has some good overlanding opportunities around it's north end. At the very least Tofino (surf city Canada) is worth checking out - we're heading back in November, though we'll be leaving the CVT at home and staying in a beachside cabin.

jhberria

Adventurer
Haven't touched my thread in a while, so I thought I'd update with some photos of my more recent trips.

In early October the wife and I took the Xterra on the ferry out to San Juan Island ********** dab in the middle of the strait between Washington and British Columbia. We sailed into Friday Harbor, the only town on the island, and spent Friday and Saturday exploring the various state parks and old US and British Army camps on the coast. The island was actually a contested piece of terrain between the two nations in the middle part of the 19th century, after the signing of the Oregon Treaty. Now, it's one of the best places in the continental US to spot marine mammals that live, feed, and breed in the sheltered waters of the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Specifically, the 'J Pod' of orcas that call these waters home. Unfortunately, we didn't spot the whales, but did get to hang out with some seals Saturday while camping near the beach in San Juan State Park. Here's some photos from the ferry ride and sites from the island.

The wife and I watching the sun set on our final night camping.

Last edited:

jhberria

Adventurer
In mid-October, I finally got the opportunity to run the Naches Trail outside of Enumclaw with the Northwest Overland crew. This is one of the most popular 4x4 trails in Washington, and is actually and off-shoot of the original Oregon Trail. The Lomgmire Wagon Train used this trail to become one of the first cohorts to take up residence in the Pugent Sound region of coastal Washington. The trail was actually quite technical is spots, full of tight squeezes between trees, roots, and off camber hill climbs. I didn't get many pictures of trail action, unfortunately, as I was driving. I definitely recommend the trail to anyone coming through the area, I just wouldn't run it alone (or in foul weather).

We stopped in Government Meadows along the trail for lunch. In 1853, the original wagon train stopped here for respite before descending into the valleys west of the Cascades. In the early 90s, a local snowmobile club constructed a small cabin here for use by hikers traveling along the Pacific Crest Trail, which intersects Government Meadows at this point.

jhberria

Adventurer
Awesome shots! Looks like a great trip.

Thanks, man. I'm enjoying the documentation of your recent jaunts, as well. Did you make the Mid-Atlantic Overland Festival this year?

If you ever come up to Canada, Ill take you up to some BC Fire Service Lookouts, great places to explore. check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0ag6Iv5A0o for my nahatlatch run

I would love to trek up to BC sometime I the next year. I'm going to check out that video now!

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Thanks, man. I'm enjoying the documentation of your recent jaunts, as well. Did you make the Mid-Atlantic Overland Festival this year?

No sir. Planning for fatherhood took a front seat over the trips for this year. But next year might hold some short first-time trips for the little guy.

jhberria

Adventurer
Well, moving into the new house has kept me from doing anything big on the X or taking any weekend trips lately. Now that my move is complete, I'm right back at it.

Firstly, I decided to swap out my OME + spacer setup with the new Nisstec MK84 extended travel coilovers w/600lb springs. This was mostly to accommodate the extra weight of the ARB bumper and in preparation for the impending addition of a winch. I installed them Friday night, and first impressions are pretty good. Noticeably stiffer and more compliant suspension and handling. Way less body roll and nose dive on braking. The coilovers are adjustable, but I'm running a 1/2 inch PRG spacer on top in lieu of increasing the spring pre-load to get me up to about 3 inches of lift. All around, I'm happy with the choice.

Today, I tripped up into the Olympics to plow through Washington Pass. This a series of forest roads on the southeastern side of the Olympic National Park that overlooks the southern Pugent Sound and Lake Cushman. I've been aching to see snow again ever since I left NY about a year ago, and this trip satiated my hankering.

This is my safe space.

Now the trail had been fairly uneventful up until this point. The snow was soft, but the dirt underneath was solid enough to not pose many issues. I stopped to take a picture of this mini-waterfall as I drove higher up into the pass, which was created by melting snow runoff. This should have been an indicator that the trail may be eroding a bit, but adhering to my personal status quo of ignoring obvious warning signs, I continued on.

About 50 meters after taking that picture, the right side of the trail collapsed and my passenger tires slipped into a ditch created by water erosion. I was quite stuck. No going forward, no reversing. Thankfully, I was able to lock the rear and plow out of the ditch in reverse. Crisis averted. I wasn't going to go any further up the trail, fearing more trail erosion, so I was forced to back about 1/8 of a mile down the narrow lane until I got to a spot where I could turn around. Good times. The merits of locking differentials are oft' debated, but they truly are worth their weight in gold.

Next up for the Xterra is a new rear bumper with integrated recovery points and receiver. Then, the winch (although I am seriously considering reprioritizing these two after today's events on the mountain.

jhberria

Adventurer
The Bucksnort, if you're familiar with him from over on TheNewX. Good reputation, from what I can tell, and gives me the option to add a tire carrier later if I want. Also, the price can't be beat, nor can the fact that I ordered it last Thursday and I'll have it this Wednesday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior