Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Thread: F550 Surf Camper Build - Adrift in the Green Room

Thanks everyone for the advice. Its been a disappointing process. We built everything ourselves, but outsourced the construction and design on the flatbed and mounting system to Overland Explorer, as I felt those were items that might better be built by professionals than homebrewed. Despite them being very expensive, those were the parts that failed.

Overland Explorer wanted to know what failed, but has remained totally disinterested in fixing or warrantying any of it. We've essentially ended up with 70k (~3X the agreed upon price, a story unto itself) in yard art, and an extraordinary quantity of lost time and money removing, redesigning and subsequently rebuilding.

While I can see the potential benefits of the stiffer frame (boxing in the C Channel), I don't think anything other than a seriously engineered solution on that front would be wise. I added retaining plates on our subframe, and am going to experiment with stiffer springs and rounds of articulating the suspension until I find a combination that works better. The current new subframe design and rebuild on the inplace locker is already significantly stiffer and seems to have addressed the issues that led to the mounting failure. Truck is going back in for a final paint, so we'll know more when we get it back and can do some real world testing.
    Last edited by S2DM; 07-09-2017 at 08:37 PM.
    1972 NA Haflinger expedition vehicle
    2015 F550 Custom Camper

Scott, you will end up with a very mobile, useable camper. I am sure with the level of thought you have put into it so far it will work out better than ever!

Ward
    2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (LJ)
    2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with AT Habitat #17
    2015 Dodge 5500 Motorhome finished and on the road (and off the road) (For Sale)
    http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...5500-motorhome

Building a custom vehicle is not for the weak. I built three different rear suspension designs before I got what I wanted; so I know how it feels. It's better you found the weaknesses while you could revise them easily. Having a failure in the boonies really sucks.
    1992 FORD F-350 Crew 4X4. 460 gas, Manual 5-speed. Sky's Offroad Design shackle reversal, Atlas Spring spring packs, Falken 37x12.5-17 Wildpeaks Trailready 17x8.5 beadlocks, Warn Winches front&rear, Odyssey AGM Batteries, Power Master. Centramatic Dynamic Wheel Balancers. Pressure Pro TPMS. Maxima Racing Fluids, Vision-X, JE Reel, Crap Ind.
    Build thread

Hi. I am extremely interested in your experience with four LA36 units from Linak. I am looking at building a custom pop-up camping trailer and would like your views please, especially on how reliable they have been and the appropriate model. the LA36 may well be huge overkill for my requirements

Quote Originally Posted by Peterf View Post
    Hi. I am extremely interested in your experience with four LA36 units from Linak. I am looking at building a custom pop-up camping trailer and would like your views please, especially on how reliable they have been and the appropriate model. the LA36 may well be huge overkill for my requirements
    The LA36 has worked well and been reliable. Depending on the weight of your roof, and how much syncing you need when it is going up, they may be overkill, but its nice to have the options. Because my roof is a cabover and I am using motion control slides, I really needed it to go up square.

I have an extra set for sale in the for sale and wanted section at half of what a new set would run. Linak came out with a new control system that I wanted and I ordered the first set with the wrong clevis end for the mounts I'd made, so I decided to buy a new set.
    2015 F550 Custom Camper

Default Link to a Kelderman Earthroamer Air Ride I have for sale

Switched directions on our suspension after alot of thought. So I have a brand new, never installed, 2011-16 full earthroamer air ride kit for sale over the in the for sale and wanted section

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/th...39#post2359139

Selling for $1000 less than I paid OBO.
    2015 F550 Custom Camper

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930