1987 4Runner- Expedition Build Up.

The only way I would keep the FJ62 is if I were to do a chevy conversion. Throw that 327 or 350 vortech in with an auto tranny. BUT, it would take months to do the swap and would blow any sort of budget I had. Not to mention the time needed to work out any bugs. I dont have the patience and a little too ADD to tackle something like that.
Believe me, I'd like to, but there are also a few things that I dont care for with the cruiser.

Oh, and I didn't mention this, but my wife did say I could get an FJ40 (I want FJ45LV but may just stick with a regular 40) for restoration in the next couple years.
lv%20003.jpg

And no, I HATE the FJ55s!

Ether

I saw the SoftTopper Top was mentioned. I just bought a first gen actually, i drove it home 250 miles in the cold and i actually got too warm! We've been having some COLD weather up here, and i am thoroughly pleased with the top. The fabric is very heavy, and keeps a constant temp inside the rig. I love the looks of it as well! Plus the sides do roll up and buckle.

If you look into it more and do end up getting one, make sure you get some seam sealer and coat all the seams on the inside of the top. Supposedly, you get a bottle with it from the factory, but the PO of my truck never did it, and i got some water leakage from the threads / seams. Other than that, i love this top.

Im still trying to figure out what to do about a roof rack though.. :coffee:

Comfy Cozy inside the soft-topper!

Photo-0166.jpg

I included a couple other photos of the top below, i didnt want to take up too much space in your thread. I love your runner btw! Ive always loved that color scheme on the first gens. :drool: Nice snorkel btw! I was glad you posted the part number in here, but may i ask where exactly you ordered it from?

And sorry, i know this is old related to the thread, but i couldnt resist.. :sombrero:

epicflex-1.jpg

~Josh~
:elkgrin:

Attachments

• Photo-0161.jpg
    Photo-0161.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Photo-0159.jpg
    Photo-0159.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Photo-0168.jpg
    Photo-0168.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 111

nashville67

A few minor mods today.....
IMG_1367.jpg

This tire/wheel combo looks AWESOME!

I took the little metal valance piece off the front. When we went mucking about in the muck, I managed to mangle it up a bit.. never liked that junk anyways. Added a couple Hella 500's that i had lying around, looks only at this point, couldnt find my relays....

how did you mount your hella lights it looks really good i was wondering if i could copy yours :coffeedrink: :bike_rider:

So what are you doing with this now that you have your Mitsu?

I'm keeping the battery charged with a battery tender....:sombrero:

Really haven't driven it much, but wifey doesnt want to sell it...??? Still need to do a few maintenance things to it before I'd even think about selling it, but doesn't look likely anytime soon though. Come to think of it, about the only way I can sell it is if we replace it with an FJ40. Wife's orders.:)

Just got a nice letter from the City's Code Enforcement...........

215404_619649964961_62002887_33160037_3129498_n.jpg

Surely, they were worried that the truck would fall over.... so I fixed it for them.....

222755_619787634071_62002887_33161702_6926052_n.jpg

AND sent them an email with this picture!

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Did they really write about it falling over, or was it the parking over the curb bit? Yikes--you have some overly-vigilant code enforcement!

cmayer

Sorry to bump an old thread, but have enjoyed reading this build from the start. I saw the Montero became a reality. Do you still have the 4runner?

There are existing holes right there. Lights are practically useless there because they cannot be properly aimed.

I ended up using these same holes, but ran a 90 degree plate, a reverse L, using the existing holes, and then mounted my lights vertically like they should be so that I have full adjust ability.

Yeah, i bought the material to do just that, but was too lazy to do it.... They were for looks.

Sold the truck a month or so ago. Hadn't driven it really since about January... so it was time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan