1987 4Runner- Expedition Build Up.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
So, now you suggest buying something that is almost equal to the value of the truck? :rolleyes:

Just trying to make the rig you have, work for you, dude. If you've got a reliable, working rig, it's almost always the most economically sound way to go.

Probably won't be long before your wee lass can do it all herself in the back, anyways. :)

And you can always look for a 2nd-hand canback for pennies on the dollar.

Cheerio!

By the way, I'm 32, and have had like 25 cars, so I'm one to talk. :D

Last edited:

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
...and gearing what you have now is MUCH cheaper than buying something else and starting all over with the mod process.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
What are you going to get instead? A 3rd gen 4Runner? Please don't say an 80:)violent-smiley-031:) You're going to loose money no matter what if you sell, buy and mod all over again. Besides, you're 87 is pretty darn nice.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
What are you going to get instead? A 3rd gen 4Runner? Please don't say an 80:)violent-smiley-031:) You're going to loose money no matter what if you sell, buy and mod all over again. Besides, you're 87 is pretty darn nice.

He wants a montero or a trooper to take down through mexico and C. america...

:coffee:

3rd gens are over priced for what you get. 80s are big, gay, heavy, slow, underpowered pigs.

I'm OK with losing money, if I can get into an better rig for the same price I sell the 4runner for. I'll be selling the cruiser and a motorcycle to outfit the next one.

Yeah. Intelligence is not a virtue of mine.

He wants a montero or a trooper to take down through mexico and C. america...

:coffee:

I've stopped looking at the Troopers. Although more common, it would still take more work to prepare.

Believe it or not, I have a master plan.
Buy Montero SR.
Why? First, the most obvious, it has 4 doors! Also, drivetrain components are beefier than the toyotas or izuzus. 9" or 9.5" rear differential and the front is 8". IIRC 8" is the size of toyotas? Oh and what comes from the factory? Oh yeah, an air locker! Did I mention 4 wheel disk brakes? Also, it has nice leather, heated seats. Load capacity? Yeah, much more truck like than toyotas. Over 200HP and can even handle the tires without changing gears. Gears? I can pull third members from a couple other trucks to get the gearing needed for 35s. Oh, and its japanese. It has the same build quality as toyota with equal reliability of the Toyota 3.4L V6.

To mod it: I can fit 33s with no lift. 35s with 2" body lift. May add OME heavy springs in the back.
It will get a winch. Several folks have stuck one behind the stock bumper with the help of a bracket. If I wanted, I could find an offroad bumper to stick on. The snorkel is more expensive than a lot of other models.

Did I mention I have seen several acceptable trucks for less than $3000????

Oh, and someone asked about the lead up...

The montero is the first vehicle that I have researched for over a year before considering actually buying one. And the fact that I decided to sell my Xterra for an 87 4runner??? That was dumb.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Well, at least you've thought about it. I've seen a few of those Montero's built up nice. 4 doors with the family will make life a lot easier as well. If I needed you're 4Runner, I'd buy it from you, but I'm sure you won't have too much trouble selling it.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I'm OK with losing money, if I can get into an better rig for the same price I sell the 4runner for. I'll be selling the cruiser and a motorcycle to outfit the next one.

I may have missed it already discussed/mentioned but....

Why not just build up the TLC? Sell the 4Runner and whatever else. Dump the cash into the TLC. The FJ60 is a great truck and can be built up almost perfect for overlanding. It can also do some decent offroading with a mild build and has more room than any of the other trucks mentioned.

I have actually considered dumping my Taco and going with a mid-80s FJ60. Cheap, strong and tons of aftermarket support. More room than my Taco has too. Easier to dump a diesel in it....all kinds of good reason to go with an FJ60!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan