1991 tlc pzj77 (jdm)

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
Well guys, I am finally back and into the new 77 full swing. I spent my first week back just taking all my camping gear out of NOMAD (73) and my gear that I want to put into VIAJADOR. Man what a lot of dirt, dust, moon dust (as Michael calls it) not in the truck but behind the trim panels. Everything is out of it and in the garage. Just need to get the fuse block out and the 24-12 Solar Converter. Then change out the turbo gauges and rewire them for 12V (instruments) & 24 volts (lights). Once that is done, begin the cleaning, vacuuming, and detailing.

Meanwhile I had to start on VIAJADOR as well. I removed the mammoth stereo system (amp, 12-24 inverters x 2, Panasonic 6 CD changer (similar to the one in the Lexus). Now that that is all out, I took up the entire floor, carpets and seats, trim panels, etc. so I have an empty husk of a truck to begin the new wiring. Took both red tops out as well and charging and testing them before I exchange for the 2 blue tops 31 group. Clean it out thoroughly before beginning the new wiring.

Decided to reverse the antennas for CB/Ham to minimize interference between antennas (wider apart) and with the antenna cables. Made a prototype AL bracket while at CBI on the way down for last trip, but have to remake it to change angle a bit steeper so Ham is facing me. This will sit above GPS on rear view mirror.

Trying to get as much done before the first snow flies as next week temps are falling to single digits (C) and before I head to CBI to get the custom rear bumper built and a bracket for the AAO net book.

Photos will post tomorrow as I clean up the shop and begin wiring. Also will take photos of the entire rear bumper build...Andrew you will drool over this 3G version, many upgrades and improvements.

Once done, this 77 will seem palatial compared to the 73! Can hardly wait for the first trip in her in November to SE CA.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
:drool: oh you... She's... she's... well :drool:

Oh how I wish I had the qwan to buy your HZJ73, I'm contemplating selling my body to science and a few Organs before then just to buy it I want another 70 series SO badly. You sir have had some amazing Toyotas in your history. Congrats on the new truck, she's a beaut for sure. I've only rarely seen the 5dr Wagons, most are either the SWB's or Troupys as you know. What motor does she have??? I can't think of a P-series Toyota Engine??? You say 1 cyl. less then the 1HZ so a 5 Cylinder???

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:

CanuckMariner/Nomad

:drool: oh you... She's... she's... well :drool:

Oh how I wish I had the qwan to buy your HZJ73, I'm contemplating selling my body to science and a few Organs before then just to buy it I want another 70 series SO badly. You sir have had some amazing Toyotas in your history. Congrats on the new truck, she's a beaut for sure. I've only rarely seen the 5dr Wagons, most are either the SWB's or Troupys as you know. What motor does she have??? I can't think of a P-series Toyota Engine??? You say 1 cyl. less then the 1HZ so a 5 Cylinder???

Cheers

Dave

Many thanks Dave on the kudos! Yes I am quite excited about VIAJADOR as well. She has a 1PZ diesel engine, 3.5 L 5 cylinder, manual trani and turbo'd. Nothing much for me to do except transfer my gear from NOMAD to her and redo the wiring as well as a new 3G custom rear bumper.

I am in the midst of cleaning up NOMAD so she will look her best for her new owner, so if you're serious Dave, email (as per my profile) we can discuss.

Last edited:

kai38

Explorer
I hope I get to see VAIJADOR on your next trip to the Southwest.
For some reason I didn't have a good look at Nomad this month on our trip south. The new truck looks great.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Many thanks Dave on the kudos! Yes I am quite excited about VAIJADOR as well. She has a 1PZ diesel engine, 3.5 L 5 cylinder, manual trani and turbo'd. Nothing much for me to do except transfer my gear from NOAMD to her and redo the wiring as well as a new 3G custom rear bumper.

I am in the midst of cleaning up NOMAD so she will look her best for her new owner, so if you're serious Dave, email (as per my profile) we can discuss.

Wow, I've litteraly NEVER heard about that motor!!! So neat. I'm guessing that she's got pretty decent power eh??? Makes it even more interesting to me, I'm now going to have to read up on the motor on the web, thanks for the info, I love discovering and learning about new motors and trucks I've never known about. What's under the skin in terms of drivetrain/axles??? Is it the size of the HZJ stuff or is it more like the Bundera/Prado sized stuff???

Like I said, congrats mate, that truck looks great and I can't wait to see her all kitted out eh ;) &) series trucks are to me like Series Rovers are to others, there's just something that makes them stand out in my head. I LOVE the way they look, I love the way they drive, I love the way they go off-road. I just plain LOVE them.

I don't mean to mis-lead eh, I really have been racking my brain on a way to make purchasing the 73 possible... It's just not going to work now... I just had major surgery and I'm still waiting for the bill on that one (it's like waiting to get punched in the face eh hahahahahaha). I'm sad too becasue NOMAD is a DREAM rig for me and knowing that it came form another Expo'er would make it a great situation in my eyes. If I can somehow swing it, I will deffinatly PM you to find out if it's still around, thanks for the offer. I'm actually sad that I have to pass on this right now, it's actually making me sad... HAHAHAHAHA guess I truly am a Toyota guy who "needs to BE commited " ;) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Cheers

Dave

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Making a change.

Jan,
I'm currious, what prompted the change from the 73 to the 77? No preferrance for either or, just like to understand your though process. They are both very good platforms.
Cheers,
P

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Wow, I've litteraly NEVER heard about that motor!!! So neat. I'm guessing that she's got pretty decent power eh??? Slightly less than a 1HZ but makes up for it cause it is a manual instead of an automatic transmission Makes it even more interesting to me, I'm now going to have to read up on the motor on the web, thanks for the info, I love discovering and learning about new motors and trucks I've never known about. What's under the skin in terms of drivetrain/axles??? Is it the size of the HZJ stuff or is it more like the Bundera/Prado sized stuff??? All 70 series SWB are same, very crucial parts like the drive train, other than length variation due to wheel base. This one is semi long wheel base, but similar drivetrain/axle.

Like I said, congrats mate, that truck looks great and I can't wait to see her all kitted out eh ;) &) series trucks are to me like Series Rovers are to others, there's just something that makes them stand out in my head. I LOVE the way they look, I love the way they drive, I love the way they go off-road. I just plain LOVE them. The 70 series have two basic shapes which affects the front end, narrow slightly pointed (like both mine - I prefer this styling) and the new more straight front end nose.

I don't mean to mis-lead eh, I really have been racking my brain on a way to make purchasing the 73 possible... It's just not going to work now... I just had major surgery and I'm still waiting for the bill on that one (it's like waiting to get punched in the face eh hahahahahaha). I'm sad too becasue NOMAD is a DREAM rig for me and knowing that it came form another Expo'er would make it a great situation in my eyes. If I can somehow swing it, I will deffinatly PM you to find out if it's still around, thanks for the offer. I'm actually sad that I have to pass on this right now, it's actually making me sad... HAHAHAHAHA guess I truly am a Toyota guy who "needs to BE commited " ;) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Cheers

Dave

No y problemo Dave, stay in touch and I'll post up NOMAD once she has had a bath and in her best. The 1PZ has a bit less horsepower due to the 5 cylinder but makes up for it with the manual trani instead of the automatic one. Also, the weight is less as the Auto trani weighs more. Also, don't PM me, just email me as per my profile. PMs take longer and is same as emailing back and forth.

Last edited:

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Jan,
I'm currious, what prompted the change from the 73 to the 77? No preferrance for either or, just like to understand your though process. They are both very good platforms.
Cheers,
P

Pierre,
  1. I was always a bit cramped in the 73 being slightly taller than 6 foot, it was a stretch to sleep inside even with the front passenger seat pushed forward and reclined forward as well. But made it work as I was quite minimalistic.
  2. The 77 came with a 5 speed manual instead of the 4 speed auto which even with the 1PZ being 5 cylinder and slightly less HP, was probably a wash since an auto takes 10-15% of the power.
  3. Auto is heavier than a manual as well even thought the 77 is longer due to the 4 doors.
  4. I get 4 doors which makes easier access to the back, especially the storage area behind the African Outback drawer system. Not only do the 4 doors increase its length but it has a bit more after the wheel wells so about 20 inches longer than the 73.
  5. Lastly, it is a year newer and less than half the mileage at 96,000 kms and the price was right. I had watched this one for over a year and finally the timing was right when I went out with friends to do the Whipsaw Trail in BC.

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Here are some photos of VIAJADOR naked, after I gutted her inside, took out all the past owners idea of electrical rigging and ready to start my own interior mods:

• change out gauge lights to 24V from 12V and rig up wiring for 12V instrumentation needs to solar converter battery management.
  • wire in stereo (12V) to existing speaker system
  • wire up Lightforce 170's (24V), bought a relay block (still need to figure out where to mount it.
  • find a spot for the Blue Sea Fuse Block
  • getting a new M8000 with wireless remote for the 77
  • wire in fridge, rear work light - both switched
  • CB/HAM mounted above rear view mirror already but need to modify Ham bracket more to 45 degrees so I can see it better, already pre-wired antennas but need to retune the CB now.
  • install solar converter battery management and wire to fuse block then all 12V applications to that
  • today remove shower heat exchanger from NOMAD to VIAJADOR along with all pipes so I do not have to cut again, maybe change out in line hose heater as well and change rad fluid when done

Attachments

• P9260005.JPG
    P9260005.JPG
    447.8 KB · Views: 302
  • P9260006.JPG
    P9260006.JPG
    456.7 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Building up your 1991 TLC PZJ77

Jan,
Thanks for the information. I was currious to understand what prompted the change. I was also currious about your thoughts on 12V vs. 24V systems? I like that the Australian 80 series is 12V.
Cheers,
P

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Jan,
Thanks for the information. I was currious to understand what prompted the change. I was also currious about your thoughts on 12V vs. 24V systems? I like that the Australian 80 series is 12V.
Cheers,
P

The 24V is a bit of a PITA but I have learned to live with it. Definitely would like to have a 12V system with a dual battery using NL. The Solar (nothing to do with the sun) converter is the way to go to get to the 12V for apps.

Last edited:

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Any new updates on the new to you rig? :sombrero:

Appreciate your continued interest, Pierre.

I haven't done too much more than making a new custom rear bumper with dual swing outs (spare tire/dual jerry cans with spigots by CBI of course). The build is in my past trip photos. The bumper looks like it was OEM and works great.

My ~20 year old OEM supension is a bit soft for what I do and carry so....next is a new ARB - OME HD Dakar suspension which I have researched the heck out of thanks to Chris Dobinson (Dobinson Suspensions), down under. He helped a lot to confirm that indeed a 76 series rear end is same as a 77 series. I am going to use the new Nitrogen Sport Shocks from OME as well all around. They all helped tremendously in researching/finding the right parts and fit. Will order and install in March as I am saving now for the system. This will probably be the only 77 in Kanukistan and in N. America with an entire OME suspension as all others I have contacted (IH8MUD, et al.) have used the largest OEM leaf and added to it or re-sprung the old leafs.

My best tank heading south on I15 to the Triple Desert meeting spot (Nov/09), was 7.83L/100 kms (30mpg US or 36mpg Imp), considering VIAJADOR weighs in at 2450 kgs (~5400 lbs) and she is nearly 20 years old, that's not bad! I think I cold improve that with a bit more tweaking of the turbo (lean/rich mix) and a flat drive like across the basins of Nevada. Had highway stretches of 680 km for the top half of the 90 L tank.

I have a diff leak (pinion suspected) but at $7 for new pinion seals straight from Toyota here in Cowtown, that's easy to swallow.

No other plans at this stage, except the continual search for creature comfort gadgets to keep me in the glampering style I have grown a custom to.

Michael (Triple Desert Trip) put me on to a device very similar to a Jet Boil (>$100USA) for only $24.95 at Wal-Mart and firestarters (12/$10) also from Wal-Mart, Mike (also from TDT) put me onto a collapsing LED lantern that charges with 110V,12V or piezo from Costco (24.95); Reliance Toilet (Wal-Mart, sorry not listed any longer) - like the PET but only $24.95 and lighter weight, smaller.

Researching a back warmer for the campfire chair sitting and Clint (007) put me onto a BakGlo (made and sold in Kanukistan) and just nabbed one on Kijiji Ontario for 4.99 kanuk buks!

Selling an ARB Roof rack and mounting kit similar to yours which came with the 77, along with miscellaneous camping and gear to get some funds together for the suspension system.

Still testing gear for some manufacturers and consulting in Latin America (just got a Bolivian contract) and trying to weather (no pun intended) the Global Warming in Cowtown!

All the best to you and your family, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! :beer:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior