1991 tlc pzj77 (jdm)

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Appreciate your continued interest, Pierre.
All the best to you and your family, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! :beer:

I'm always currious to know how other like minded CDN cruisers owners are up to and how the rigs are set up. :sombrero:

That's excellent fuel consumption. My 1HZ is no where near that... Just put on 1100 Km's to/from Fraser Island. 600 Km's off road (soft sand) mix of Hi and Lo range consumed about 250L of fuel. No refills required thanks to the Aux. Tank but I'll save that discussion for your other thread: Jerry Cans vs. Replacement/Aux Fuel Tanks - Pros/Cons

Stay warm and enjoy the new year.

Cheers,
P

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
Nice truck! I really like the 77s. How is it for power? I'm putting a 1PZ (turboed) into an 80 series next summer, I figure it should be similar to the PZ, maybe a little heavier.

Finally narrowed it down with respect to the suspension (OME HD Dakar with 75/76 hybrid leafs) and having a friend (BlueHZT60) picking it up for me. I am going to Bend, OR in March and we will install and then do some trailing.

Perhaps you (4Rescue) Dave, can join us, so email me as per profile and we can arrange something. Bring a towel so you can catch your drooling. LOL

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Perhaps you (4Rescue) Dave, can join us, so email me as per profile and we can arrange something. Bring a towel so you can catch your drooling. LOL
Hell YEAH!!!! Count me in brother. If it works out to be the roight weekend I'll drive out for sure. Every other weekend I have a 5 day weekend (off thurs through Monday...one of the bene's of working 12hr days ;) ) so I'd LOVE to come out and meet you all and drool over the 70 Series. Drop me a line or PM with details of when and where (more specific then "Bend eh ;) ) and I'll definatly try to make it work. Thanks a ton for thinking of me mate, I love this place eh.

I'll shoot you a PM with my contact info here in a second.

Cheers

Dave

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Hell YEAH!!!! Count me in brother. If it works out to be the roight weekend I'll drive out for sure. Every other weekend I have a 5 day weekend (off thurs through Monday...one of the bene's of working 12hr days ;) ) so I'd LOVE to come out and meet you all and drool over the 70 Series. Drop me a line or PM with details of when and where (more specific then "Bend eh ;) ) and I'll definatly try to make it work. Thanks a ton for thinking of me mate, I love this place eh.

I'll shoot you a PM with my contact info here in a second.

Cheers

Dave

I hope to be in Bend on March 19 late and then start on the install on Saturday. If you want to join in there is plenty of space to camp nearby. I am staying with BlueHZT60 (Bob). Will send details in another email to you shortly. Also, check thread in OR section here on ExPo, as I am trying to get a group together there for trails or at worse a drool/meal night in Bend area.

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Great LandCruiser Jan ! Can't wait to see it in person. :)

Also, any updates ?

Hey Jean Sebastian,

Comment vas-tu? Hopefully you will/can be at the March 7 lunch (see Kanukistan section here on this forum) and can see VIAJADOR for yourself in person. Otherwise, perhaps this summer at a few camping trips.

Pretty much have her finished, what with the custom CBI rear bumper and dual jerry can/spare tire swing-outs and most of my interior gear from NOMAD (73 series) has been transfered, she's done. Depending on how the stock steps hold up, may one day make a set of ARB style rock sliders/fender protectors same as NOMAD has and possibly a replacement fuel tank if I really think I need it (like for Baja trips or mainland MX).

But thanks for following along! Cheers, Jan

CanuckMariner/Nomad

After over a year with the 77, she has worked out quite well for me. Almost palatial inside, all the gear works well with her and the fuel economy is to die for. 7.5L/100km = 31.4 mpg US gal or 37.7 mpg Imp gal!:costumed-smiley-007

lowenbrau

Explorer
After over a year with the 77, she has worked out quite well for me. Almost palatial inside, all the gear works well with her and the fuel economy is to die for. 7.5L/100km = 31.4 mpg US gal or 37.7 mpg Imp gal!:costumed-smiley-007

I can believe it. :Wow1:

No really. I don't believe it.

CanuckMariner/Nomad

I can believe it. :Wow1:

No really. I don't believe it.

Bruce, don't forget, I don't have a heavy right foot like some. I drive about 80-85 km/hr (50-55 mph)about 1800 RPM and that is GPS corrected for tire size. Wayne can attest to that as well as anyone else that has travelled with me and waited for me to catch up.

lowenbrau

Explorer
Bruce, don't forget, I don't have a heavy right foot like some. I drive about 80-85 km/hr (50-55 mph)about 1800 RPM and that is GPS corrected for tire size. Wayne can attest to that as well as anyone else that has travelled with me and waited for me to catch up.

It's mathematically impossible. That truck weighs over 5000lbs and is shaped almost exactly like a box of beer. One tank, all downhill, with a tailwind? Naw I'd have to see your records.:elkgrin:

Wayne is not a good witness. He claims the same impossible mileage. Personally I've never done better than 20 MP/US/G in any Land Cruiser but the only time you'd ever find me doing 80 kph would be hauling 400 litres of diesel in a military trailer behind my overloaded expo rig in the slow lane of a mountain pass. On the other side of the pass it'd be 120 all the way baby.:smiley_drive:

bj70_guy

Adventurer
Following Drew in his FJ Cruiser home from Moab, I kept his pace of around 95-100 km/h. I got around 28 mpg Imperial in my BJ74. I thought that was pretty awesome, better than I'd ever done in it or my BJ70. At my usual speeds I get about 22.

If I ever got 37.7 I think I'd have a heart attack.

CanuckMariner/Nomad

I've seen how CM keeps records...they're amazing...makes Tom Sheppard look like a slacker!

-H-

Thanks Andrew! Bruce is always sceptical when someone gets better mileage than he does. Each on fill-up receipt I note the gal or litres purchased, write down the kms (odo is in kms not miles) x correction factor (for tires size - calibrated from my GPS) and do the calculation right there on the receipt. When I get some time, I note it down in my Netbook along with other receipts (food, etc.) and it gets recalculated, as I have the formulae entered on a spreadsheet. It automatically calculates my average fuel consumption for the entire trip as well as my daily average expenses for various categories. Sorry I am an engineer, and once set up, very easy to keep track of things and budget. Since I do not have a "real" job as my wife puts it, and hence no idea of my cash flow 'til it happens (consultant), I need to budget for my trips. The fuel economy that I quoted above is for a highway only and mostly flat regular conditions. Obviously, when on the trail and in/out of 4WD, it varies more and is more like 10-15L/100 depending on conditions. But I average it out for an entire trip and I still get close to or below 10L/100km for the entire trip as most of my driving is getting there and getting back on highways.

BTW: Bruce...How's your 80's fuel economy? My son is getting slightly less that 10 L/100km but again he is only doing 80-85 km/hr not 120. My 73 gets similar fuel economy.:costumed-smiley-007

Last edited:

lowenbrau

Explorer
BTW: Bruce...How's your 80's fuel economy? My son is getting slightly less that 10 L/100km but again he is only doing 80-85 km/hr not 120. My 73 gets similar fuel economy.:costumed-smiley-007

I generally use about 15-17l/100km in the HDJ81. I have gotten as good as 11l/100km on one tank and as bad as 23l/100km into a headwind pulling a trailer with the RTT on coming up from Medicine hat at 130KPH.

The auto really is a fuel suck. My BJ74 is taller, heavier and runs way bigger tires and uses less fuel.

Oh and BTW, I'm just skeptical... *Everybody* gets better fuels mileage than I do!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior