1991 tlc pzj77 (jdm)

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
1991 TLC PZJ77 Turbo (JDM)

I would like to introduce, to those interested, my new truck VIAJADOR - Spanish for Cruiser or Traveller.

Just picked up my replacement 70 series :wings: about 1 week ago. Drove it home and got over 500 kms (~320 miles) on the top half of the tank. Must be due to the manual trani and the one less cylinder than the 1HZ. Probably won't need a replacement or aux tank on this one. Gotta love those 70 series!

As the 77 is almost the same as the 73 but longer, most of my gear should fit quite easy. The tough part will be all the electrical (stereo, turbo gauges, Light Force lights, 24-12 solar converter, etc.) but will give me a chance to redo it in a more convenient way.

The 77 came with an almost new ARB front bumper so the 73 keeps its. Will fab (CBI) a new rear bumper (Gen 3) similar to my last 2 designs with a dual jerry can Kaymar style swing out (water) and spare tire swing out. Will post up here once the build begins this fall.

This 77 will give me much more room; besides being longer (semi-long wheel base [2730mm]), it also has four doors. The African Outback drawers will fit with room to leave the back seats in it when I am not travelling. The rear doors will allow easier access to the significantly larger behind front seat area.

Other features that I didn't have before, are a 5 speed manual transmission and F/R OEM e-lockers. Also has a turbo set for 10 lbs boost.

When I get some free time (2 more road trips this year), I will do the change over of my gear from the 73 to the 77.

More photos of the new rig under trip photos below and the rear bumper build

Attachments

• DSC06660.jpg
    DSC06660.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 1,966
  • DSC06629.jpg
    DSC06629.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 974
Last edited:

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Cool rig! Always fun to start a new project!

...let me know if the front/rear bumpers come up on the FS block....

-H-

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Nice truck Jan. If my afternoon goes well, I might be able to drive up there and see you later today.

Pete

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Cool rig! Always fun to start a new project!

...let me know if the front/rear bumpers come up on the FS block....

-H-

I have both the front and rear stock bumpers for sale. Unfortuantely Andrew, the ARB front and custom rear will be sold with the 73. Now, if you would like to increase your harem of 70 series, we can work a deal.

Nice truck Jan. If my afternoon goes well, I might be able to drive up there and see you later today. Pete

Give me a call when you know for sure. Bring the sun with you!

Last edited:

Psilosin

Lol thats the PZJ77 I was thinking about buying for the last 6 months...then when I finally get my affairs in order to go buy it...sold...doh. :Wow1:

Glad its gone to someone on the forum.

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Lol thats the PZJ77 I was thinking about buying for the last 6 months...then when I finally get my affairs in order to go buy it...sold...doh. :Wow1:

Glad its gone to someone on the forum.

Sorry, but I was watching it drop in price since last summer, stop by and see it one day. I don't think the guy was marketing it well, as if it had been on here or on Kijiji or Autotrader it would have gone sooner and for a lot more.

Last edited:

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Nice Jan, That stick shift will feel real good coming down Piedras Verdes next year. :drool:

You bet Mundo! I want to do more of Barrancas Del Cobre - say one trip up and one down as well as that beach trip along with some more 4x4 buddies of yours!

Oilburner

Adventurer
Nice truck! I really like the 77s. How is it for power? I'm putting a 1PZ (turboed) into an 80 series next summer, I figure it should be similar to the PZ, maybe a little heavier.

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Nice truck! I really like the 77s. How is it for power? I'm putting a 1PZ (turboed) into an 80 series next summer, I figure it should be similar to the PZ, maybe a little heavier.

Thanks Oilburner! Well, my 73 (NOMAD) has a turbo'd 1HZ but is probably heavier than the 77 right now cause I do not have any of my gear in it. Having said that and remembering what Nomad was like when she was new to me, VIAJADOR (77) with a turbo'd 1PZ seems to be a bit more peppy going up the steeper hills. I still haven't had a chance to tune the lean/rich mix as that might make a bit of different given our altitude is about 1225 m.

As for the 80, I would guess that even not knowing what gear you have on her, she is probably as heavy or heavier than the 77 is and both are ~stock. I would definitely turbo the 1PZ or go for the 1HZ (more HP) or if you can find one a 1HD-TFE which was made for the 80 series and much more HP and fuel economy than either the 1HZ or 1PZ.

Nice new rig! :drool: drooling in California....

Thanks Michael! Might have her on the trail for the California triple desert run this November or for sure all 2010 trips! Perhaps then you can get closer to her than the photos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior