1st Generation Toyota 4Runner's.....

• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date

rusty904

They are steelies off a 1st gen tundra I believe. they were on the truck when I bought it and I just plasti-dipped them gray to see if I liked the look. It was only like $30 worth of plastidip and glossifier so worth it for an experiment. Eventually I will paint them or get them powdercoated in the same shade of gray as the top.

_ExpeditionMan

Adventurer
They are steelies off a 1st gen tundra I believe. they were on the truck when I bought it and I just plasti-dipped them gray to see if I liked the look. It was only like $30 worth of plastidip and glossifier so worth it for an experiment. Eventually I will paint them or get them powdercoated in the same shade of gray as the top.

Well they look awesome. I am a big fan of simplicity and those steelies perfect. I may have to keep my eyes peeled for a set for my 2nd gen.

OSV

Adventurer
I like the open hard top. Rear glass can still with work with a zip tie on the bolt switch? Ive considered this with some kind of snap/zip in side windows.

i put the bolt back in, so the rear window works, but i never bother raising it... there are a couple of threads on pirate4x4 about hacking up the top, one guy filled in the top of the side window spaces like i did, put some rain gutters over the side window holes, that ran the length of the hard top, then had an upholstery shop put together some side windows to cover it all up... fastened it up with snaps.

when you are driving in a light rain with this, the wind blows right through everything, and it doesn't get wet inside, until you stop moving :-0

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Wow, this sure continues to be a very drool-worthy thread! That NZ Surf is beautiful!

The '85 has had the truck camper removed and the soft top is back on. It feels like a sports car now...I've been having a lot of fun driving it. It also serves as the tractor here on the ag parcel, so here it is at one of its responsibilities--clearing the access road. Behind and under the utility trailer is a homemade, wooden V-plow inspired by the early, horse-drawn V-box plows. It didn't make it through this spot, but after shoveling out the deepest section and with a little momentum, the plow kept moving all the way through! It impressed me--this was the heaviest snowfall it's ever cleared. It was a heavy, windblown mass, definitely not powder.

1215151510_zpswt8zzxg5.jpg

Last edited:

borison

Adventurer
Wow, this sure continues to be a very drool-worthy thread! That NZ Surf is beautiful!

The '85 has had the truck camper removed and the soft top is back on. It feels like a sports car now...I've been having a lot of fun driving it. It also serves as the tractor here on the ag parcel, so here it is at one of its responsibilities--clearing the access road. Behind and under the utility trailer is a homemade, wooden V-plow inspired by the early, horse-drawn V-box plows. It didn't make it through this spot, but after shoveling out the deepest section and with a little momentum, the plow kept moving all the way through! It impressed me--this was the heaviest snowfall it's ever cleared. It was a heavy, windblown mass, definitely not powder.

1215151510_zpswt8zzxg5.jpg

Very interesting, I think we might need to see some of its plowing prowess! Pics

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
If you insist (thanks for the interest)!

This last storm, after shoveling out the first section:

1216151425_zpshlasgnd6.jpg

A widening/cleanup pass last year:

P1020961_zpsd641uair.jpg

Trev_N

Hey, long time lurker here. Tons of cool first gen runners in here, figured I'd finally share mine.

Here's a couple pics from my Canadian expedition this past summer in my '87 4runner.

20150705_133316.jpg

20150715_164325.jpg

20150720_152657.jpg

20150519_164601.jpg

DSC_0012-1.jpg

@TrevNev on instagram if you want to check out more pics!

SunFlower

Adventurer
This thread brings back memories. My first truck was a 1987 Toyota pick up, 4x4 with the 22R motor and my best friend had a 1985 4Runner in 4x4. Good times. Great vehicles.

Loubaru

Adventurer
Hey, long time lurker here. Tons of cool first gen runners in here, figured I'd finally share mine.

Here's a couple pics from my Canadian expedition this past summer in my '87 4runner.

20150519_164601.jpg

@TrevNev on instagram if you want to check out more pics!

Story on this one? :)

R33F

My new 85

Hi guys, heres mine.
I just picked it up last month.
I have been looking for a good 1 gen after I sold the Land Cruiser.
Love my new 4Runner!

Attachments

• yota1.jpg
    yota1.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 55
  • yota2.jpg
    yota2.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 54
  • yota3.jpg
    yota3.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 54

TrucMan

Adventurer
Looks good R33F!! I love the white ones, and that one looks particularly clean!

Sent from my iPhone using paper airplanes.

Taylor1

Observer
I need to get a more adventurous shot (I promise the truck sees a lot of dirt) but I liked the lighting at work and couldn't resist the glamor shot. 2nd one is after a nice day of riding at the Whitewater Center. View attachment 320007View attachment 320008
Good looking rig. How do you like the weight and size of the tundra steel wheels?

I finally got a set of steel cruiser 17s on craigslist. Debating between mounting on the 2009 DCSB taco or 1985 4runner.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears