2001 4Runner ... let the mods begin

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
jeffryscott said:
Next will be to even out the rake (adding a spacer up front), get the winch up and running, clean up the rat's nest of wiring I've got going on under the hood with a fuse block ... and at some point I'd like to add a fridge (my drawer fridge for the Suzuki just doesn't fit in this), roof rack and another roof-top-tent (of better quality).

Also need to get my HAM license (I've passed the practice tests, now to actually take the real one).

one spacer is enough to even out the ome 891s, i ran that setup with one spacer, pretty much perfectly even front and rear, then i added another set of spacers and the front was taller, now that I have LCs its at a rake again but a perfectly balanced rake and not overly gay. looks good imo with a little rake, only .5 inchs though

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
jeffryscott said:
Aaron,

Are you running any spacers with the Tundras? What kind if you do?

I've got quite a rake to my vehicle so need to add front spacers to help even it out. Feel like I'm in a 70s muscle car, until I step on the gas.;)

BTW, those budbuilts look tough - they are on my list of things I would like to do.

I use the bamachem spacers from Sonoran Steel, In his kits he sells 1 set but I knew in advanced to be level I would need 2 sets. I also have the diff drop spacers, and limit straps just in case the cv angle gets to great. Mine leveled out on 33.9" X 11.4 " Interco SSR's.
P2250059.jpg

As far as the bud skids go holy crap they are bullet proof im sure.

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Went on the trail today. All I can say is WOW. What a difference the lift and tires made. A Rover friend, Mike, and I ran a local trail called Chimney Rock - an easy to moderate trail with a few twisty sections to test articulation, some loose, rough hill climbs to test TRAC and lots of rocks to test the ride quality.

First things first though - when you make a plan and say meet at the Circle K at 8 a.m., know which Circle K. We ended up at Circle K's 45-minutes apart, each thinking we were doing a different trail.

After our late rendezvous, we headed up Redington. The ride quality of the Tundra/OME combo on the road was an improvement over stock, and off-road it is even that much better. The washboard road to the trailhead was like driving on silk - super smooth. The beefier suspension soaks up everything (and BFG MT tires aired down to 17 also help).

At the trailhead I shifted into 4-Lo, activated the diff-lock (or so I thought) and we went on our merry way. The first test came with an optional challenging line to test the flex and traction control. The flex with the longer shocks/springs and no rear sway bar is tremendous. I was spinning though (at one point, two wheels were off the ground) and we were a bit confounded (at least we were later when I discovered I had NOT put the diff lock on, so I was going through this spot open ...) I still got through, albeit not a walk in the park as it would have been with the diff locked, but the TRAC system still kicked in and got me through - just not as effectively.

The aforementioned later is when I figured out the center diff was unlocked after going up a loose. rutted, axel-twisting slope and slipping a fair amount. After that discovery, everything was a walk in the park.

Any hesitations or doubts I had about the 4Runner being a great trail rig compared to the super-Zuk are now just a silly thought. The addition of the suspension lift and the 255/85/16 tires transformed her into a beast. I'm pleased.:ylsmoke:

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I assume you have the vsc system on your to? I did the mod with a momentary switch so I could disable this little monster when I needed to. Like wet grass side of road, you will get stuck if the ground is soft.

Aaron

kcowyo

ExPo Original
I've been waiting for full shots of the 4Runner with the TJM and new tires and it was well worth it. Looks capable and comfortable.

Very nice work and nice looking ride Jeff - :beer: :beer: :beer:

Sounds like you're really happy with your decision to go with the Runner over the Zuk. How does your 4 legged co-pilot enjoy the trail?

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Jeff,

Just read thru the build. The 4runner is looking great. I like the black theme going on.:)

jeffryscott

kcowyo said:
Sounds like you're really happy with your decision to go with the Runner over the Zuk. How does your 4 legged co-pilot enjoy the trail?

Oh yes, I'm happy. Roomy, comfortable, and now that I've got it figured out, infinitely more capable and in the long run, I believe a much better value (reliability, long-lived) and gas mileage is only 2-3 mpg less - a worthwhile tradeoff.

Biscuit the dog is getting better - he didn't throw up or pee in the truck this outing and he got to run around with some friends. I'm getting to trust him not running off, but not 100 percent yet.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Tundra lift...

xcmountain80 said:
Coilovers? I run the tundra coils and probably have the heaviest or one of them. Tjm-17, 9k T-max winch, Budbuilt full skids.

Thanks for the pictures and info. The only difference between our vehicles (other than 4Runner vs. Tacoma) is my additional battery up front.

Just for reference, my truck is at approx. 4850 lbs with no passenger and no food or camping gear (full tank of fuel, tools, recovery items, armor, etc...). How much lift do you have in the front and how heavy is your 4Runner?

I said coilovers because I'm on my 4th version of front suspension so this time I'm going all out or nothing (Donahoe Coilovers). I don't want to have to re-do the suspension after this round!

Cheers,
P

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
p1michaud said:
Thanks for the pictures and info. The only difference between our vehicles (other than 4Runner vs. Tacoma) is my additional battery up front.

Just for reference, my truck is at approx. 4850 lbs with no passenger and no food or camping gear (full tank of fuel, tools, recovery items, armor, etc...). How much lift do you have in the front and how heavy is your 4Runner?

I said coilovers because I'm on my 4th version of front suspension so this time I'm going all out or nothing (Donahoe Coilovers). I don't want to have to re-do the suspension after this round!

Cheers,
P

Listed 4Runner
Curb Weight: 4070 lbs.
Gross Weight: 5250 lbs
Listed Tacoma ext cab 4WD
Curb Weight: 3470 lbs.
Gross Weight: 5100 lbs.

Now I take that and add the front bumper, winch, 285 spare, lift kit, yakima cross bars, hi-lift, air compressor, Yellow top Batt., Light dont count they only add 2lbs. and depending on the day 295 nitto's or 285 cooper stt's there is a 7lb. difference in the tires. Add the budbuilt skid and who knows? I have no idea how much she weighs but its a good bid. Then you take into account if im camping 85lbs for the hannibal roof tent and 400lbs +/- 50lbs cargo. I do also always carry 65lbs of tools and 80lbs of recovery gear. My god I need to not carry so much crap! I have 3" of lift in the front and had 3.75" in the rear but the coils have settled and now are around 3.25"-3.5". I do need to reorder rear springs, thanks for reminding me. I did as much research as is humanly possible prior to my lift and went from there.

Aaron

Wanderlusty

Explorer
kcowyo said:
I've been waiting for full shots of the 4Runner with the TJM and new tires and it was well worth it. Looks capable and comfortable.

Very nice work and nice looking ride Jeff - :beer: :beer: :beer:

Me too. Yep, yep and yep.

While the 'Zuk made for a unique rig, something a little different than anyone else, what you have done with your 'Runner is a sweet set up. Glad to finally see it in all it's glory.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
p1michaud said:
I don't have a winch plate. The winch is bolted directly to the bumper. I'll have to dig up my old e-mails, but I had asked TJM about air bag compatability for the TJM T-17 for the 98-00 Tacoma and they had not tested it at that time. I was also under the understanding that this bumper did not require a winch plate at the time of purchase. You have me thinking now, I'll have to go see. Do you have pics of said winch plate?

Cheers :beer:,
P

Edit: Looking at the TJM USA site, they don't list a winch frame for my application but they do for yours. I guess that solves that mystery!

Edit part deux: For others considering this option, you can cut out the TJM supplied turn signal markers to fit the Toyota factory bulb and holder. I did this to allow for easier return to stock and avoid cutting the factory wires. I can find additional info if anyone is interested.

You wont need a winch plate because we all have the steel bumpers. The only one they make that ruquires said plate is the AL line. That being said your winch mounts feet 1st toward the front. As far as AIRBAG comp. I know dont I did hit a Corolla 2 wks after I installed the bumper damaged a lightforce housing and tweaked my euro plate other than that no damage and no airbag on a 55mph road with 3 sec. warning to decell to maybe 35ish before impact maybe slower but there was no time to stop. The bumper is sturdy no doubt I though it was alittle thin compared to my brothers bentup tacoma bumper but it works just fine.
tacoma3501.jpg

I cut my wires far enough back so someone who purchased my used bumper could use it. I installed 2 way connector, like on trailer connections but 2 instead of 4, for all my hookups making removal of the bumper to work on the vehicle easier.
P8130332.jpg

Aaron

jeffryscott

Here are a few from a little earlier today - got a bit of time to go to some dirt up Redington Road just for some poseur shots ... still need to get on a proper trail.

I added spacers to the front Tundra setup to level the truck out. Looks much more proper to me, and feels good in the dirt and on the road. The Tundra coils/struts I had didn't really give any lift (maybe half an inch) so I'm guessing the source I got them from (used) had the wrong specs for them. But, the one question I do have is whether my CV angles (first picture) are OK. Opinions? I might get a diff drop to help ease it a bit, but don't know if that is necessary.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
TJM Turn Singnal installation

xcmountain80 said:
You wont need a winch plate because we all have the steel bumpers....

I cut my wires far enough back so someone who purchased my used bumper could use it. I installed 2 way connector, like on trailer connections but 2 instead of 4, for all my hookups making removal of the bumper to work on the vehicle easier.

Aaron

Aaron,
Thanks for clarifying the winch plate question. Makes sense now. Clean solution for your lighting connections. I just have a real issue with cutting wires and soldering for my climate. It's been my experience that if you don't do it correctly it leads to issues (i.e. wire corrode and don't work properly). I always avoid cutting into factory wiring for that reason however if I don't have a choice, it take the time to do a proper soldered connection then double heat shrink the connection using sealed heat shrink (not sure what the technical name for this heat shrink tubing but it's made by Raychem and it has a heat activated glue/sealer inside that seals up against the wires extemely well).

Cheers,
P

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Looking mean.

jeffryscott said:
Here are a few from a little earlier today - got a bit of time to go to some dirt up Redington Road just for some poseur shots ... still need to get on a proper trail.

Looking very nice!
How do you like the ride with the new suspension set up?
Cheers :beer:,
P

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan