2001 4Runner ... let the mods begin

erin

Explorer
Looks good Jeff, no more tail high, fits it better. I think your cv's look fine, about like mine, and I'm gonna turn me preload up to get back my sag in front from added weight. I have looked at a lot of factory trucks w/ the spacer lift, and the lower control arm/cv angles seem to be much greater then mine, so it seems they can go more then you hink just by looking. It would be interesting to know what the angle needs to stay within to be in tolerance though, maybe someone with that info could post up.

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
p1michaud said:
Looking very nice!
How do you like the ride with the new suspension set up?
Cheers :beer:,
P

The ride is awesome.:wings: The Tundra/OME 891 setup is a great combo. Some people complain the 891 is too harsh. I don't think so. It is great on washboards, speedbumps and the rocks and for daily driving I think they are just right.

jeffryscott

erin said:
Looks good Jeff, no more tail high, fits it better. I think your cv's look fine, about like mine, and I'm gonna turn me preload up to get back my sag in front from added weight. I have looked at a lot of factory trucks w/ the spacer lift, and the lower control arm/cv angles seem to be much greater then mine, so it seems they can go more then you hink just by looking. It would be interesting to know what the angle needs to stay within to be in tolerance though, maybe someone with that info could post up.

Glad to hear about the CVs, since you have a pretty common setup I won't worry.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
A very nice 3rd Gen 4Runner you have there. It's very noticeable how much taller the 3rd Gen 4Runners are compared to the 4th generation rigs. I think my 4th Gen with OME and 255s is not lots taller than a no-lift 3rd Gen with oversized tires.

Obviously there are pros and cons to each, but the height and clearance looks good and is obviously a big advantage on more difficult trails.

Looks like there will be at least a few Runners waving the 4Runner flag at this years ExPo Trophy :)

jeffryscott

Not too many updates, but the big one to report is I just ordered a 52-quart Waeco fridge/freezer - found it for $437 with free shipping. :wings: Looks like I got the last one, otherwise I was going to post the link for others. I had the 39-quart and it was a bit small for an extended trip (beef and beer take up space :cow: :beer: :shakin: ) and with the family it was way too small.

I recently went on one trip with the family and resorted to a cooler (after I sold the little fridge) and it reminded me that coolers suck (once you have a fridge, it is hard to regress).

This will be a nice addition and it should be here in time for a January trip I'm planning.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
I know the Sidekick was a real trooper but I am glad you got something more suitable for you and the girls!

Post some pics when you get it Jeff!

jeffryscott

Got the fridge today, brand spanking new, for $437 with shipping. WhoooHoooo, 52 quarts of chilled fun. For the price, I couldn't be happier. Have it temporarily installed, put the handles on and plugged it in to get it cooled down. It even has a built in light. High class stuff.

Since it is a Waeco, I don't know of any Engel-like slider things, so I'm going to make a set as it sits too high on my storage box to open inside the truck. I've got a plan, just need to implement it, sometime soon.

The truck gets better all the time - going on a trip in two weeks to either the Grand Canyon or Camino del Diablo - either place will require cold beer for the end of the trail, and I'll have it now - with room for a steak or two.:wings:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Great looking truck mate, super clean and functional looking. I love those 3rd gen's espescialy when they don't have all the chrome'd bits, I'm loving the blackout/color matching.

Cheers

jeffryscott

xcmountain80 said:
I built my own slide for my engel but the same design could be used for any fridge.
http://www.yotatech.com/f2/4runner-gets-engel-45-a-117065/

Aaron

Thanks Aaron, I now remember your build, and this is exactly what I need.

I stopped by Lowes (before I saw this) and picked up a pair of the HD slides like you mentioned. I was going to use 2x2 and plywood, but the metal will be much more robust. Glad I didn't get any further today than buying the slides.

Thanks.

jeffryscott

4Rescue said:
Great looking truck mate, super clean and functional looking. I love those 3rd gen's espescialy when they don't have all the chrome'd bits, I'm loving the blackout/color matching.

Cheers

Thanks! It's coming together. Once I get the fridge install done, I'll get some pics of the rear cargo area - lots of changes back there from stock. (1st gen rollbar, etc ... )

jeffryscott

Well, after taking bits off to sell (winch and TJM bumper, OME suspension, rear storage, 255/85/16 MT's etc .... with the idea of selling the truck while I'm in school, things didn't work out with selling the truck (but school is) so, I am slowly rebuilding it. I've added another Old Man Emu rear suspension (what a difference over stock) and have been working on the new rear drawer storage system.

I largely made it identical to what I had, with a few minor mods. It is essentially a 39-inch x 39-inch x 10 inch box with two drawers. The main difference that I incorporated into this is a pair of slide-out tables, currently just mocked up as I decide between HDPE (cutting board) or wood with a nice finish. I will be added a 1/4-inch fitting to screw a monopod into to give them a leg and will have a very nice work surface for cooking, etc ...

The drawers and box will most likely be Herculined, as that material stood up extremely well in the previous iteration, but I haven't absolutely decided. The 50-liter Waeco will ride atop the drawers as it did previously and will be on slides for easy access.

For tires, I have 265/75/16 Michelin M+S tires which provide a brilliant ride and handling and are surprisingly decent on dirt and even the tiny bit of mud and rocks I've been through. I ultimately want to get back to 255/85/16s, but wish I could find a good "all-purpose" tire in that size other than an MT (swapping tires for a day trip sucks).

My second semester of five in Respiratory Therapy begins tomorrow, so who knows when the next bit of progress will be, but in the meantime, having a decent suspension and storage goes a long ways toward making the truck functional again.

Attachments

• P1190262.jpg
    P1190262.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 76
  • P1190264.jpg
    P1190264.jpg
    363.7 KB · Views: 58
  • P1190263.jpg
    P1190263.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 62

Forum statistics

Threads