2007 Thanksgiving in Baja

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
awalter said:
Pretty much a high speed graded road, last time I was on it. I'm sure some bad weather could impact it. Seems to get a lot of traffic.

Great Al,

So how many hours do you think it would take to drive from BOLA to San Fran at a high speed or from Bahia de Gonzaga to hwy 1 then to Bola/ San Fran.

awalter

Expedition Portal Team, Overland Certified OC0003
Bahia San Luis Gonzaga to Mex 1 = 2-3 hours.
Mex 1 at Laguna Chapala to Bahia De Los Angeles = 1.5-2 hours.
Bahia De Los Angeles to San Francisquito = 3-4 hours.

All depends on how the weather has been for the current road conditions.

awalter

Expedition Portal Team, Overland Certified OC0003
Bahia San Luis Gonzaga to Mex 1 about 40 miles= 2-2.5 hours.
Mex 1 at Laguna Chapala to Bahia De Los Angeles about 75 miles = 1.5-2 hours.
Bahia De Los Angeles to San Francisquito about 85 miles = 3-4 hours.

All depends on how the weather has been for the current road conditions.

Last edited:

cpg

Adventurer
kcowyo said:
Beautiful photos.

Almost hard to look at when there's a foot of snow right outside my window.

Someday I must go south.....:rolleyes:
Yea I am in the Seattle airport now wondering if I can pull off a trip in Feb.

jl8088 said:
Glad you made it back safe. I've heard it has been very dangerous driving on the pacific side. There have been several articles about people getting pulled over by "fake" cops and getting guns pointed at them and all their stuff taken, etc., etc. etc.

When I spent several months sailing on a tall ship in the Sea of Cortez and the Pacific side the only problems we had were on the Pacific side. They did not take too kindly to Americans. It got pretty hairy at times.

Last edited:

cpg

Adventurer
eurorom said:
Thanks for sharing, how difficult is the trail from bahia de los Angeles to San Fransiquito?

Seems like a fun trip!
I agree with awalter. Depends on if there was a recent storm. There are some places that get washed out. 2.5 hours if it is in good shape. Worst was a bit over 4 hours and that moving a small rock slide off the road. 2 wheel drive truck will make it.

J-man

Adventurer
Scared to drive northern baja now!

hey there -i go down to baja frequently and now i am actually scared to drive through tj-ensenada via the toll road. I have read a lot of bad stories that have happened within the last 6 months, several of them were around this years baja 1000.

My thinking is that if i drive this stretch in the morning hours say from 7am to 10 am, maybe im safer cause its daylight out? Who knows? Also if i see a cop wanting to pull me over while driving on the toll, i think i may keep driving until i get to a toll booth - at least there will be others around.

Do you think going thru tecate is any safer?

cpg said:
1 to the BOLA turnoff then the 1000 course most of the way.
Nobody in our group was pulled over but TJ was is getting worse every trip. I may start going thru Tecate.

cpg

Adventurer
J-man said:
hey there -i go down to baja frequently and now i am actually scared to drive through tj-ensenada via the toll road. I have read a lot of bad stories that have happened within the last 6 months, several of them were around this years baja 1000.

My thinking is that if i drive this stretch in the morning hours say from 7am to 10 am, maybe im safer cause its daylight out? Who knows? Also if i see a cop wanting to pull me over while driving on the toll, i think i may keep driving until i get to a toll booth - at least there will be others around.

Do you think going thru tecate is any safer?

Yes I think it would be safer for sure.

bajasurf

Explorer
Otay Mesa

Another idea is to enter at Otay Mesa(San Diego) and then take the new road from Otay Mesa and you will end at Mex 1 just outside Rosarito. You will by pass two toll booths, TJ and the Rosarito booths. Save you a few bucks. No problems on the new road but daylight driving is a must or early evening when there are many vehicles. My neighbors drive down every Friday evening (Erendira) to work on their home for the weekend and they usually arrive here between 8 pm or 8:30 pm. No problems and his wife has talked her way out of 2 tickets and she doesn't speak that much Spanish. Get yourself in a caravan of other cars that are also on the road. I have heard there has been fake road workers between La Mission and Bajamar (between Rosarito and Ensenada). If anybody is working at night on the road and wearing orange vests and have orange cones out you can be sure that they are fakes. Don't stop!!! Nobody works on the roads at night in Baja. Since I live in Erendira and hardly travel back to California and haven't been on the new road I can't give you directions on how to get on it. I am sure someone here has used that road. One more thing , if you drive the new road be careful of horses and cows if you are driving later in the night. Good luck, George laning

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
My 2 cents.
We have been crossing at Tecate for years now when we head to ensenada for races. I've followed that same logic when crossing for camping too. I like tecate, the lines are usually less and I feel a LOT safer. That doesn't mean I am, but I have never felt safe in TJ.
In Tecate I just don't feel as targeted. Also, never been stopped upon entering at Tecate, even with an enclosed trailer and a truck bed full of race fuel.
Be safe.

blupaddler

Conspirator
Waoow!

You weren't kidding about the picture count. Although I am proud to say that I viewed the entire album.

The trip looks like a blast. Is the white 80 a guy "darwood" on mud? I had asked him for feedback on his technitop, which was very helpful. But he had moved to Texas or something.

All your pictures make me want to go back down to baja even more. And I obviously need to visit the Sea of Cortez side more as well. Great pics.

Oh, and I pm'd you with more off thread topics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan