2012 Tacoma Doublecab work truck

hornytoad

Desert Geologist
Carnage

P3120170.jpg
P3120176.jpg
P3120183.jpg

So I was able to pull most of my equipment and stuff from the crash scene. I'm going to go by the insurance's yard this afternoon and see if I can get the rest of my personal effects.

So far I'm looking at replacing:

Toyota Tacoma Doublecab with SR5 package with AT tires

Leer Deluxe 100R topper with windoors and Thule roof rack

Bud Built Skid Plates 4 piece kit 3/16 Steel

Custom Exhaust Systems 42 gallon gas tank (Plus per diem and mileage for going back to Bend and having it installed)

My best advice for you guys is to document, document,document your rigs. Receipts, shipping, shop time, ect... This was my business truck so everything is recorded for it.

All the "personal" stuff that was in the truck would have have been a couple of thousand more bucks. (straps, recovery hardware, brackets for GPS, laptop, instruments, tools, jumper cables, etc.)

I'll let you know how it goes....

upcountry

Explorer
Oh man, scary $hit.

So thankfull you walked.

Bummed the first real extended tank truck got wrecked.

Looks like you have a brenbo or TRD brake kit upgrade in your future. Also check out what Wheelers has in the way of brake upgrades, you can stop by their shop on your way to/from Bend!

Curious if you know the scale weight of the truck loaded with all upgrades (skids), work/recovery/recreation gear, driver, and a very full tank of gas? Seems like this should still be under the weight limit as payload is about 1,200#s for these trucks and the large gas tank with extra gas, skids, topper, and gear cant add up to more than 1,000#'s, right?

Since reading this, I am going to slow down. Accidents tend to ruin your day.

Last edited:

hornytoad

Desert Geologist
upcountry - Yeah the weight made the truck feel pretty "heavy" in handling.

Driver - 200lbs
Skiplates - 137lbs
Tank with gas - (42 gallons x 7lbs per gallon plus 75 for the tank plus you have to subtract the stock tanks and gas 25lbs - 21 gallons) so call it 200lbs heaver than stock
Topper - less 100lbs
Misc junk - 300lbs

Total Sprung weight - 937lbs

Unsprung weight - 17" Steel FJ wheels weigh a good 10 lbs more than the 16" cousins. At aprox 33lbs each
245/75R17 BFGcomp TA's - 53lbs each
the 86 lbs per wheel made the truck sluggish and did not help the stopping or handling

All of this with a stock suspension made it wallow a bit
I would recommend add a leafs and better shocks all around for adding skids or the tank, if you have the $$$ replace the whole suspension FIRST.

p nut

butter
That is great to hear both of you walked away from that. I often wonder how I will fare in a wreck in my 17 year old commuter sedan. All the new tech with multiple airbags and other safety gizmos has me looking at newer cars...

J

JWP58

Glad you made it out ok, good thing your were wearing your seatbelt. Rollovers with no seatbelt usuallly dont end too well.

Looking forward to seeing the next build up..

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Amazing to have you both able to walk away from it!

The best part is, now you get to build the new Taco with all the acquired wisdom of your year with the first one. It will be twice as good!

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
hornytoad, it's great to see that your Taco took good care of you and that you were able to literally walk away. Trucks can be replaced, valued ExPo members not so much.

I've posted a link to your post here on the FJ Forum as an object lesson in preparedness in regards to securing gear inside the cab and having documentation in order - http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/other-vehicle-discussion/162820-death-taco.html#post2436342

Thank you for sharing your insights from this misfortune!

...The best part is, now you get to build the new Taco with all the acquired wisdom of your year with the first one. It will be twice as good!

x2!

Last edited:
I'm glad both you and the other driver were able to leave the accident. It's nice to see that the Tacoma protected you in what could had been a terrible crash. It instills confidence in my truck.

Can't wait to see you with another Tacoma and where you'll take it.:ylsmoke:

Again, nice to know that you're ok.
-RFA

hornytoad

Desert Geologist
More aftermath photos

IMG_0007.jpg IMG_0010.jpg
IMG_0017.jpg IMG_0019.jpg

Taco sitting in the insurance auction yard. It's hard to see but the frame bent (the skidplates don't line up any more). Three of the four tires are still holding air, even with bent rims. I hadn't noticed but the passenger side roof had creased too. So I'm guessing two rolls.

Thanks to everybody for the well wishes!

I did test drive a couple of 2013 double cabs yesterday (SR5 and a TRD offroad, honestly I'm leaning towards the TRD this time) and talked to the local Discount tire about swapping the tires. They do give you store credit if you bring them a new set of tires to swap out.

The current thought is to keep the truck low and lighter. Bilstien 5100's to replace the stock shocks and E rated 245 75 R16 BFG comp TA's on stock alloys. Tiimbren bump stops in the rear for the extra loads. If the rear springs insist on dying early I will talk to Deaver or Alcan for some custom low lift/hi load springs. Bud built skids (this time in aluminum) Rocky road rock rails, Leer 100R topper and the CES tank will go back under the truck.

Nothing in the bed was bolted down so that will change. Some type of strap system for shovels, rock bars, soil auger ect.... The rear "shelf" that I installed will be bolted to the bed. Maybe see about the "hidden box" that Leer will build into the roof. And mount the fist aid kits to the roof so the don't fly around.

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
Wow. Glad you're ok. They way you described the crash, 50+m.p.h. and then a roll-over, I was expecting the truck to look unrecognizable. Hope you are back on the road soon.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Normally the 100th post in a build thread is call for a different kind of celebration, but in this case we'll celebrate your good fortune (not getting badly hurt) and the hunt for your new ride. :beer:

hornytoad

Desert Geologist
Truck Value

Anyone got any advice with insurance claims? I have the receipts and the documentation for the parts I have had installed and MY insurance company (with a state and a farm in the name) is trying to give me the runaround.

NADA is pretty close for the base truck but I am getting hosed on accessories that are part of the truck and were totaled with the vehicle.

2012 Tacoma double cab V6 automatic transmission 4x4
SR5 package, sliding rear window, cruise control, floor mats, back up camera, key-less entry, tow package, 21k miles, Excellent condition

PLUS

CES Fuel tank
BFG comp TAs (5) 245 75 R17 and Road Hazard Warranty
Bud Built Skid Plates 4 piece 3/16 steel
Leer Topper with Thule roofrack and windoors
AFE Air Filter
Company Decals

So 30% over NADA will replace the extras. This is a very mild build and I know some of you have had accidents with fully built up rigs. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

So the details: the other driver is insured, it was 100% his fault and the truck is 9 months old. The truck is a work truck and without it I'm loosing billable mileage and hourly time. Plus I'm in the middle of a contract.

And I have already learned the lesson that adjusters are NOT your friends. No matter if they work for your insurance company or not.

It sucks but I might have to lawyer-up just to break even on the truck, let alone the medical bills, Workman's comp, lost time, truck rental....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears