2015 Colorado. Any plans for a review?

Browneye

Better looking than the Tacoma.
How is the fit and finish overall?

Yes, it is, IMO.
F&F: Outstanding. It looks Euro or Japanese under the hood - very tidy. Paint finish is excellent, everything fits and works (surprise!), there is extra sound deadening everywhere, no rattles or squeaks. I wasn't a big fan of the GM bail-out but it's obvious they put the money to good use and have come out with winning automobiles.

TwinStick

Explorer
They have cars in Germany right now getting 65 mpg w/3 cyl diesels. They are avail in 70 countries but not here. There is no reason why a small truck can't get 32. I test drove a Dodge eco diesel ccab 4x4 for 30 min. City & driving up to 80 mph on rural roads. I cleared the fuel mileage thing before i left dealer. It said i averaged 28.9 mpg. Not sure how accurate that was but it sure was nice not to see 8-10 mpg as i do in my Power Wagon. Love my truck but OMG, goes about anywhere except past a gas station. LOL

Would LOVE to see the ZR2 concept come to reality...diesel & all. :)

Kmehr

Adventurer
plus there are the Mercedes GLK and Audi Q5 diesels over here which get 30 and 32 mpg hwy in a full time AWD platform. I would imagine similar numbers should pop up from the colorado.

junglecaptn

Transamerica in Ram 1500

Was going to do the transam trail on my WR250r this summer but now thinking of taking the Ram 4x4 to include wife and dog part of the way. After doing a lot of research for the bike the past few months I think the only change I need for the truck are some AT tires. With the air suspension I can raise the vehicle when necessary. Am familiar with much of CO and UT and believe except for several sections I wouldn't have any problems.

I've read about a couple of trips by truck on this forum as well. The main shortcomings with the full size truck is the turning radius, length and departure angles but most of the trail I feel would not be a problem. Would probably leave late June from Tellico Plains as CO passes can be closed up till first part of July or longer if a big snow year. So far they are below average. Does anyone have anything to add to this idea, pro or con?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The diesel argument today isn't about cost or longevity because gas engines are cheaper and last just as long. The only smart argument for diesel is range and turbo power at altitude. That is my major interest in the future midsized diesel trucks. Having the ability to do 500 miles on a tank of fuel and having power that doesn't go flat on you at altitude etc would be great. As for Home depot runs I had two 4x4 8ft posts and three 2x12 8footers in my Subaru outback Saturday replacing steps on a deck for our rental property. I had the subaru because parking in San Francisco is a BI_CH! Funny enough my buddy electrician happen to come by to give the owner of the upstairs unit an estimate on some work. His 2012 crew cab short bed Tacoma parked out front in a spot the Subaru and my old Landcruiser could park in was blocking my driveway by 2.5ft. He works in SF a bunch and had a older extended cab Tacoma and said his big snag now is parking the crew cab he needs a longer spot than the typical curb length between garages in SF.

I really like what GM did with the Colorado its a much needed shot in the arm for the midsized market. I also think much of what GM is now offering in the Canyon not the Colorado but the Canyon upscale interior etc and decent mileage could get alot of soccer dads out of their pimp daddy F150 soccer dad full sized trucks that never haul anything but a kid or two and maybe a bicycle tossed in the back occasionally. We have lots of those types just outside of SF where parking is easier. ;-)

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
I got a 99 suburban that goes 500 miles on a tank of gas. But it is a 40+ gallon tank.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

junglecaptn

My Ram has a 32 gallon tank and range is about 500 when filled. That is probably a highway mileage not off road. Not sure what off road would be yet.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I do 500-520miles per tank going to grandma's house in Eastern Washington in our Subaru. Taking the more remote routes north having that range is really nice. We make lots of pit stops but don't need to stop at the little hole in the wall over priced gas pump in the middle of no where. Funny enough our last trip up there grandpa made the trip too. but he had the bright idea to hit 395 I warned him there wasn't much out there beyond a certain point heading north. His old ride was a 1500 Suburban 2003 which he regularly posted 20-21mpg he's SLOWWW.... His new ride is a SLK350 which has a 18.5 Gallon tank and surprisingly near full size uninflated spare with air pump under the trunk floor!! Anyway his drive was 21hrs and he was in a bit of a panic because everything he did come across was closed his idea to just get a room some place didn't happen because he was in no mans land by the time he decided he'd find a place to crash for the night. LOL Oh and apparently if you really try the SLK 350 will do 33mpg Tank average and will do 50 miles after the fuel light goes on. HA HA The 1am phone call went something like "Ah yea so I'm in big trouble almost out of gas in in the middle of freaking no where - you may need to come get me" <- followed by "Oh wow!! A gas station thats open!!! Ok talk to you later!" HA! He did 560 miles on a tank because he couldn't find an open gas station!!

For folks who don't do more than a few trips a year keeping extra fuel cans around at the house for those road trips is just a big pain. My old Land Cruiser we actually didn't take it on some trips because the mileage and range was so bad we simply didn't want the hassle. If you get the new midsized trucks offering car like passenger crash safety standards and car like range it changes the game a little I'd be more than happy to take the diesel pickup instead of the Subaru ;-)

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
The only reason I know is my gas gauge doesn't work. So have track it by mileage. No matter if it dirt road, city or hwy my mileage stays about 13mpg. So I treat it like 10 mpg. So far I have not run out but I've gone 490 miles and fear got the better of me so I topped off. After pumping I realized I had another 20 miles I could've gone.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

4x4x4doors

Explorer
Talked to a friend whose neighbor is driving one of the test diesel Colorados. Crewcab is averaging 26 mpg for his commute (25 mile one way) and around town miscellaneous driving.

rkj__

Adventurer
Talked to a friend whose neighbor is driving one of the test diesel Colorados. Crewcab is averaging 26 mpg for his commute (25 mile one way) and around town miscellaneous driving.

Hard to take much meaning from that, without knowing a little more about how he is driving the truck. But, it sounds like it is on track to beat the economy of the V6.

orangeTJ

Explorer
I really like what GM did with the Colorado its a much needed shot in the arm for the midsized market.

Agreed, especially when other manufacturers have dumped their small trucks. Ford dropped the Ranger a few years go, which was very dated when it was sent packing.
Dodge dropped the Durango - I'm not sure how long it's been gone.

I've ridden in a 2014 Tacoma - its reminiscent of any import truck, the seats sit too low to the floor, cause your legs to be outstretched more like you are in a passenger car. Heck, even my cheap Chevy Aveo was more comfortable in the "seat height from the floor" aspect.

I haven't looked at the Colorados, but my brother did and chose the Tacoma because he got a better deal on it.

Depending on what my vehicle needs are later on, the Colorado Diesel will be the first small / mid sized truck I look at.

smlobx

Wanderer
I'm a diesel guy.
Last year I bought a Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel and love it. So far I've averaged 28 mpg in over 15k miles of combined driving.

I also have 2wd 4 cylinder Gas Ranger that gets 25 mpg combined. Unfortunately, that great little truck is getting long in the tooth and I am eagerly awaiting the ZR2 diesel option as the best possible option for me.

Two of the big advantages for the Expo community going with diesel is the low end torque that often superseeds the v8 version and the drastically increased range. I chuckle when I see taco rigs with several Jerry cans hanging off the back...&#128521; my F-350 diesel has a 600 plus mile range on the highway and easily 400 miles offroad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998