2017 Chevy Colorado ZR2

XJLI

Adventurer
I liked the t100 too, always thought that was such a great truck. KC O'Connor and I have had some fun backcountry outings and was always impressed by his T100 with 4 Wheel Camper combo. The Tundra is great too, a bit quieter, effortless power and not too different sizewise than the current Tacomas anyway, but seemingly much roomier inside. I had a lot of great trips in mine, thing just ate up the miles and even with such a simple setup it worked great for 1-2 people.

And I see you have a '95 D1, ironically that's what I decided to keep as my daily driver and sell this truck. It was a 5 Speed with a 4.6 conversion. Was a fun rig to drive. Definitely my non rational side got the best of me. After a couple of years though I regretted it as the Disco was keeping me busy with leaks and little things. Plus for long trips it just beat me up.

I really am not a Toyota guy. But even in the rusted out, beat up state that T100 was in, it just.... went. It did it's job. 155k miles on it and the doors open and closed perfect, the motor quietly ticked away like a little sewing machine and didn't have a leaking fluid on it, and driving it just felt tight like it was a brand new truck. My D1 was (yea, was, it got crushed unfortunately... motor went and I just couldn't justify the repair) was built like a tank. Everything built to be accessible and changeable, large tolerances on everything, etc. But man, it drove like an old ship down the road... but I was used to that feeling coming from modified XJs. It was a LOT more comfortable though. I'd argue one of the most comfortable vehicles I've driven. The driver's seat just "fit."

A couple of our friends have Elements, they are popular with kayakers and cyclists. I can see why, too. Tons of interior space that is highly useable. You can store several bikes or boats inside and still carry the people that go along with them. You can carry gear and sleep inside. In a way they are small Sprinters (which are also very popular right now). I don't know if they feel any more cheap than any other run of the mill Japanese vehicle, Civics, Tacomas, etc. that we've owned.

My buddy had an Element for almost ten years and everything positive and negative said here is true. It IS very plasticky, it DOES drive like ****, the seating position is terrible. BUT you could drive a four wheeler right into the back of the thing and hose it out after. His was a 5 speed too. But those front and rear subframe bushings were toast at 140k and the things drove like garbage.

For another never ending example...the 1st gen Tundra, I like it...but no manny and the dash looks like it came out of a Ford Taurus....don't want to be looking at that thing for a couple hundred thousand miles.

I don't like it much either. It's that "Toyota-bland" style just makes me think everything came out of the Camry. But that's been their schtick for a while.

Clutch

<---Pass
I really am not a Toyota guy. But even in the rusted out, beat up state that T100 was in, it just.... went. It did it's job. 155k miles on it and the doors open and closed perfect, the motor quietly ticked away like a little sewing machine and didn't have a leaking fluid on it, and driving it just felt tight like it was a brand new truck. My D1 was (yea, was, it got crushed unfortunately... motor went and I just couldn't justify the repair) was built like a tank. Everything built to be accessible and changeable, large tolerances on everything, etc. But man, it drove like an old ship down the road... but I was used to that feeling coming from modified XJs. It was a LOT more comfortable though. I'd argue one of the most comfortable vehicles I've driven. The driver's seat just "fit."

Good friend of mine had a XJ, his felt roached at 100K...while mine at the time had 250K, he couldn't believe how tight my Tacoma felt with that many miles on it...while I did go though the whole undercarriage and rebuild it at 285K, it feels new again. Engine still running like a top at 340K. Think that is why I am having a hard time not being able to get rid of it...still runs great, even though it has been in the shop a bunch recently. new fuel pump, clutch, 3rd member rebuilt.

That is the big worry of the Colorado, while everything looks good on paper, will it last like a Toyota? While I do think Toyota has slipped over the years, believe they are still pretty dang good in the long term reliability department. The Chevy at this point is an unknown.

I don't like it much either. It's that "Toyota-bland" style just makes me think everything came out of the Camry. But that's been their schtick for a while.

While I do like the Toyota blandness...do not like the Tundra's dash, might be able to forgive it if it had a manual with the V8, but it doesn't so no....that dash would be constantly starring at me, reminding how woefully dismal driving an automatic is. :D

Taurus vs. Tundra dash.

G3DashComp.jpg

toyota_tundra_3.jpg

Last edited:

p nut

butter
Oh...we know....we know... :p

It was the crack about your Tacoma being old and crusty, wasn't it?
:D
_
The new Tundra's interior (07+) is a vast improvement from 05-06. I don't mind the old interior, personally. V8 is nice, too.

Clutch

<---Pass
It was the crack about your Tacoma being old and crusty, wasn't it?
:D
_
The new Tundra's interior (07+) is a vast improvement from 05-06. I don't mind the old interior, personally. V8 is nice, too.

It twas! :D

It is in need of a major carpet scrub after this last winter...funky!

Had that thing so long, actually wore out my drivers heavy duty floor matt, blew holes where my heals sit.

---

Latest Tundra interior I do like a lot....didn't care for the 2nd gen Tacoma...felt like it was made out of recycled soda bottles. 3rd Gen Taco's interior is pretty awesome, really dig it...could spend 300K miles living in there, fa' sha'.

2016TOT090024_640_44.jpg

Last edited:

p nut

butter
The new ones are way too big IMHO. 1st gen is "just right"

Guess it just depends what you want to do with it, but there are a LOOOOT of trails a full-size truck like that will go on. The 1st Gen Tundra is only slightly bigger than a Tacoma, so it'll fit on more trails...but if I'm driving on trails where 1st will fit but 2nd gen won't...I'd rather be in a Jeep. 2nd Gen also rides so much nicer on road.

It twas! :D

It is in need of a major carpet scrub after this last winter...funky!

Had that thing so long, actually wore out my drivers heavy duty floor matt, blew holes where my heals sit.

---

Latest Tundra interior I do like a lot....didn't care for the 2nd gen Tacoma...felt like it was made out of recycled soda bottles. 3rd Gen Taco's interior is pretty awesome, really dig it...could spend 300K miles living in there, fa' sha'.

Wet vac will do wonders on the carpet and seats. I did that to my old Integra that had 240k miles on it. After several passes, it almost looked and smelled new.
_
I don't mind the 2nd Gen Tacoma's interior. But then again, I'm not that opposed to plastic interior in general. As long as there are no rattles, I'm happy.

XJLI

Adventurer
3rd Gen Taco's interior is pretty awesome, really dig it...could spend 300K miles living in there, fa' sha'.

View attachment 386906

I really like the interior. I haven't driven a 3rd gen, so I'm not sure if I can forgive the looks of the front end just yet.

Guess it just depends what you want to do with it, but there are a LOOOOT of trails a full-size truck like that will go on. The 1st Gen Tundra is only slightly bigger than a Tacoma, so it'll fit on more trails...but if I'm driving on trails where 1st will fit but 2nd gen won't...I'd rather be in a Jeep. 2nd Gen also rides so much nicer on road.

It's a real slippery slope in the northeast. The 2nd gen Tundra is definitely way too big for anything around here, and something Tacoma/Colorado or even Jeep sized I'm looking at a lot of pin striping. Not pretending to replace a SWB Jeep on 35s or anything but I do need a "one vehicle does it all" solution. That's why the ZR2 is perfect... I bet I can shove 33s on it with barely any lift and that's really all it needs for what I want to do. It would be the same situation with a Tacoma TRD, Tundra would get an aftermarket locker and then again; same thing. By the time the ZR2 comes out I might as well wait and see what the Jeep pickup looks like, and I'm not sure if it's worth holding my breath for the Ranger anymore with how long that will take. I don't expect a real reliable long-term engine to get put in one of those stateside.

The VM A428 in the Colorado is unfortunately not a bulletproof Isuzu diesel like the V8 Dmax, but aussie 4x4 forums say it is a great motor so long as you keep up with the maintenance schedule. Same diesel thats in the 2010+ JKs and apparently the same one that's in the new London cabs. A few guys showing 250,000+ kms with no issues (only 150-175k miles but it isn't that old of a power plant yet) I'll assume this motor will be in the new Wrangler, too.

edit: apparently the 2nd gen Tundra is barely bigger than the first ten in overall dimensions. But the "shoulder height" of the truck I call it, seems a lot higher.

Last edited:

p nut

butter
It's a real slippery slope in the northeast. The 2nd gen Tundra is definitely way too big for anything around here, and something Tacoma/Colorado or even Jeep sized I'm looking at a lot of pin striping. Not pretending to replace a SWB Jeep on 35s or anything but I do need a "one vehicle does it all" solution. That's why the ZR2 is perfect... I bet I can shove 33s on it with barely any lift and that's really all it needs for what I want to do. It would be the same situation with a Tacoma TRD, Tundra would get an aftermarket locker and then again; same thing. By the time the ZR2 comes out I might as well wait and see what the Jeep pickup looks like, and I'm not sure if it's worth holding my breath for the Ranger anymore with how long that will take. I don't expect a real reliable long-term engine to get put in one of those stateside.

The VM A428 in the Colorado is unfortunately not a bulletproof Isuzu diesel like the V8 Dmax, but aussie 4x4 forums say it is a great motor so long as you keep up with the maintenance schedule. Same diesel thats in the 2010+ JKs and apparently the same one that's in the new London cabs. A few guys showing 250,000+ kms with no issues (only 150-175k miles but it isn't that old of a power plant yet) I'll assume this motor will be in the new Wrangler, too.

edit: apparently the 2nd gen Tundra is barely bigger than the first ten in overall dimensions. But the "shoulder height" of the truck I call it, seems a lot higher.

You're right in that the 2nd gen seems to drive bigger. But they're both pretty big vehicles. Probably not the best vehicles for your neck of the woods. There is much more open backcountry roads out here in the west, so fortunately, I get the comforts of the big rig and the ability to access remote parts of the back country.
_
ZR2's ain't no small puppy, either. Width is 74.3", compared to a full size like a Tundra that's ~80". Pinstriping on a $40k+ truck? Ouch. I'd just get a RZR and haul that around. :D

XJLI

Adventurer
You're right in that the 2nd gen seems to drive bigger. But they're both pretty big vehicles. Probably not the best vehicles for your neck of the woods. There is much more open backcountry roads out here in the west, so fortunately, I get the comforts of the big rig and the ability to access remote parts of the back country.
_
ZR2's ain't no small puppy, either. Width is 74.3", compared to a full size like a Tundra that's ~80". Pinstriping on a $40k+ truck? Ouch. I'd just get a RZR and haul that around. :D

Nowhere to drive RZRs here unless you know someone with property of want to go to a track. I rented one out west and it was a blast.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
That's something I noticed, the 2nd gen Colorado/Canyon is about the same size as my 2nd gen Taco. At least comparing width, length, wheelbase, height specs. I don't know if it seems bigger, though. That's something I noticed about the 79-95 and 1st gen Tacoma, a couple of inches here and there add to make it feel a lot bigger than it is. It's also more cramped IMO in size, larger pillars, smaller windows, more slope to the windshield. It all adds up.

Clutch

<---Pass
Wet vac will do wonders on the carpet and seats. I did that to my old Integra that had 240k miles on it. After several passes, it almost looked and smelled new.
_
I don't mind the 2nd Gen Tacoma's interior. But then again, I'm not that opposed to plastic interior in general. As long as there are no rattles, I'm happy.

That is the plan for this weekend, carwash down the road has a hot shampoo/vac.

---

Don't mind plastic either, 2nd gen feels a little cheap...it is similar to what is my mom's 2nd gen(?) RAV4, and my aunt's Scion. Stepdad's Highlander is pretty nice...I can see me tearing it up, interior is light tan...would look like crap pretty quick under my thumb. I need dark gray or black, to hide the filth. :D

I really like the interior. I haven't driven a 3rd gen, so I'm not sure if I can forgive the looks of the front end just yet.

I have driven the 4 and the 6, very nice....still feels like a Toyota.

Some days I hate it, others I say...yan know that isn't too bad. Some reason the grill doesn't seem huge in person.

Size wise....oh yeah...I remember running trails back in PA that my '85 4Runner would barely fit....then again I rather be on a dirt bike or quad. It is pretty wide open out here int he West...still manage to find tight trails...ended up on some old mining road last summer that the Tacoma barely fit down, was towing the bike trailer...road dead ended with no turn around...had to back down a couple miles...that kinda sucked...said to myself, dude what are you doing...just unload the bike to go explore this type of crap. Think that is what annoys me about exploring in the truck..running into deadends or gates that you can't get through...then having to go all the way back...where as on the bike, if you run into that, just whip it around...and blast back to the last fork in the road, where it takes forever in the truck.

The gas mileage of the diesels sounds appealing....don't think I want to deal with all of the other BS that comes with it. Willing to bet I could squeeze 25 mpg out of the 4 Banger Tacoma on the daily commute, diesels only get roughly 5 more than that, which isn't a whole lot in the big scheme of things, especially when the buy in cost is about $7-8000 cheaper for the gasser. Think it would fine for hauling the bike around on the weekends...and only hate it for 2 weeks out of the year when it is really loaded down when she comes with me. My solo trips I pack pretty light.

What really appeals to me about the the Tacoma is...the 2.7 is proven, the 5 speed manual is darn near nuke proof. Above all reliability is first on the "needs" out of vehicle. Then nit pick everything else.

Last edited:

XJLI

Adventurer
That's something I noticed, the 2nd gen Colorado/Canyon is about the same size as my 2nd gen Taco. At least comparing width, length, wheelbase, height specs. I don't know if it seems bigger, though. That's something I noticed about the 79-95 and 1st gen Tacoma, a couple of inches here and there add to make it feel a lot bigger than it is. It's also more cramped IMO in size, larger pillars, smaller windows, more slope to the windshield. It all adds up.

I feel like most new vehicles have this problem. They bloat the body from the bottom of the door to the roof, but they make the windows smaller. :squint: The big pillars suck too, I assume its all for crash testing and whatever.

T
I have driven the 4 and the 6, very nice....still feels like a Toyota.

Some days I hate it, others I say...yan know that isn't too bad. Some reason the grill doesn't seem huge in person.

Size wise....oh yeah...I remember running trails back in PA that my '85 4Runner would barely fit....then again I rather be on a dirt bike or quad. It is pretty wide open out here int he West...still manage to find tight trails...ended up on some old mining road last summer that the Tacoma barely fit down, was towing the bike trailer...road dead ended with no turn around...had to back down a couple miles...that kinda sucked...said to myself, dude what are you doing...just unload the bike to go explore this type of crap. Think that is what annoys me about exploring in the truck..running into deadends or gates that you can't get through...then having to go all the way back...where as on the bike, if you run into that, just whip it around...and blast back to the last fork in the road, where is takes forever in the truck.

The gas mileage of the diesels sounds appealing....don't think I want to deal with all of the other BS that comes with it. Willing to bet I could squeeze 25 mpg out of the 4 Banger Tacoma on the daily commute, diesels only get roughly 5 more than that, which isn't a whole lot in the big scheme of things, especially when the buy in cost is about $7-8000 cheaper for the gasser. Think it would fine for hauling the bike around on the weekends...and only hate it for 2 weeks out of the year, when it is really loaded down, when she comes with me. My solo trips I pack pretty light.

4 banger would be a good option, but if I'm making a payment I'm holding onto the truck for a while and I need a four door... so there goes the 4cyl, manual, 4x4 option. I'd also like the option of being able to tow 5-6k once or twice a year if I need to. The low 30s MPG people are getting from the diesel colorado really gets me excited, I haven't have a truck that got above 15mpg in a long time, and this truck would also be a road trip rig too; back to the "do it all" thing It doesn't need to be perfect at one thing, just pretty good at everything.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I feel like most new vehicles have this problem. They bloat the body from the bottom of the door to the roof, but they make the windows smaller. :squint: The big pillars suck too, I assume its all for crash testing and whatever.
I believe so. I know Toyota changed the frame between the 1st and 2nd gen fairly significantly at the cab mounts under the A-pillars, in front of the doors, to make it more substantial for crash worthiness. In the older trucks in a head on the body mounts would fail and between the engine pushing back and the cab shearing you ended up with the firewall collapsing around the engine. The 2nd gen now ends up with the cab remaining more intact and the engine cradle being shoved under the cab more. Those cab mounts are way beefier now, which is why you have to do a cab mount cut/re-weld for 33"+ tires.

I also assume the A-pillar had to grow because the B-pillar is gone on the Access Cab, so something had to hold up the roof. The windshield, that gets more shallow each generation, but that's been true since 1979.

The original Hilux windshield was almost FJ40 steep and by the 3rd gen 89-95 it had fallen backwards a ton. That's a fact of life for aerodynamics but I think the 2nd gen is almost silly steep and results in a monster dash board, deep gauges and short steering column. They solved that with the 3rd gen, which does have an improved dashboard, at least to the left of the radio (I don't much care for all the cars having a Jumbotron in the middle, but whatevs). Actually, the 4th gen 4Runner has a similar front clip but the dash on it isn't as deep despite sharing that similar porthole gauge concept.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
4 banger would be a good option, but if I'm making a payment I'm holding onto the truck for a while and I need a four door... so there goes the 4cyl, manual, 4x4 option. I'd also like the option of being able to tow 5-6k once or twice a year if I need to. The low 30s MPG people are getting from the diesel colorado really gets me excited, I haven't have a truck that got above 15mpg in a long time, and this truck would also be a road trip rig too; back to the "do it all" thing It doesn't need to be perfect at one thing, just pretty good at everything.

The Colorado D-Max sounds like a good platform for you.

Yeah, that whole cab/bed configuration thing...I over think it. extra cab stand bed works extremely well for me. While I could make a DCSB work...though I like to be able to close up the Wildernest and sleep in the bed of the truck when it is super windy....but a FWC would cure that, then you run into payload issues, and I don't want to daily drive with a FWC, I go camping about every 2-3 weeks for 3-4 days spring-fall. Wildernest works perfect for that...will probably have to get a Flip Pac if I get a new truck though....the Wildernest will look bunk on a brandy new truck.

I never tow any more than 1500-1700 lbs. 5X8 trailer with 1-2 bikes....occasionally 3.

XJLI

Adventurer
The Colorado D-Max sounds like a good platform for you.

Yeah, that whole cab/bed configuration thing...I over think it. extra cab stand bed works extremely well for me. While I could make a DCSB work...though I like to be able to close up the Wildernest and sleep in the bed of the truck when it is super windy....but a FWC would cure that, then you run into payload issues, and I don't want to daily drive with a FWC, I go camping about every 2-3 weeks for 3-4 days spring-fall. Wildernest works perfect for that...will probably have to get a Flip Pac if I get a new truck though....the Wildernest will look bunk on a brandy new truck.

I never tow any more than 1500-1700 lbs. 5X8 trailer with 1-2 bikes....occasionally 3.

The ZR2 dmax has me all hot and bothered. The price is a bit insane but who knows how dealers will sell them since they aren't even available yet. The short bed sucks since it would be nice to pull up and camp in the bed, but I'd rather deal with that a couple times a year than deal with a much larger vehicle every day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12