2017 F250 for Cape Horn

marengineer

I’m looking to travel from Point Barrow (Alaska) to Cape Horn (South America) from Summer 2019 to Summer 2020 and I am having trouble deciding on a vehicle. The plan is to purchase a vehicle and Four Wheel Camper to gain experience with overlanding via weekend trips throughout the US.

My girlfriend and I have settled on a Four Wheel Camper Hawk (6.5ft) or Grandby (8ft) camper to live in for the year of travel. We considered a smaller camper, but I am concerned with overloading a vehicles GVWR and we would also like to pull a ~6000-7000lb horse trailer.

I am considering a Toyota Tundra, Ford F250, and possibly a Ram 2500 for the trip.

We are leaning towards the 2017+ F250 and are having trouble deciding between the 6.2L or the 6.7L.

As far as I see it, the 6.2L is bulletproof, but a gas hog. I am estimating 11mpg with the camper and equipment on average, which would mean ~ 330 mile range per tank of fuel. (35 gal – 5gal reserve * 11mpg). Based upon our travel requirements I would prefer to have a >500 mile range of fuel. This would mean we would need to carry about four jerry cans of fuel. The gas range of the 6.2L is my only concern. I also like the fact the 6.2L has a larger payload capacity, and could be better off road, due to it’s lighter weight.

For the 6.7L I would add a Titan after-market tank (55 gal), and I am estimating 14 mpg, which would put my range at 700 miles. (55gal -5 reserve * 14 mpg). My concerns with the 6.7L are the higher vehicle weight for off road, the reliability of the engine, DEF fluid availability, and ULSD.

Do you think the range of the 6.7L is worth it for the planned trip? It looks like ULSD will only be sold in Mexico after Dec 2018 and is already available in many other South American countries, DEF seems to be available in major cities, the 6.7L seems to be one of the most reliable diesel engines recently produced, there will be some issues with starting in Alaska, if all else fails in South America I could delete the DEF system.

Thoughts or considerations? I know the diesel vs gas topic has been debated, but it seems the newer trucks are proving to be more reliable?

Thank you!

js9234

Observer
Can't answer all your questions but why not move up to a 350/3500? Not much of a price difference but a lot more payload and seems like you'll need it. I would count the Tundra out on payload alone even though it's a quality truck. I'm planning on doing a similar trip(probably not going further south than Mexico. Still up in the air) in Spring of 2020 in a 2014 Ram 3500 with a Cummins but was worried about the quality of diesel down there. Were you planning on pulling the horse Trailer down there as well?

marengineer

Not planning on taking the horses to Cape Horn. The horse trailer would come along for local shows in the US. I am ruling out the 1 ton trucks due to HOA restrictions in my neighborhood (3/4 ton is the max), and it seems some people have had issues with GVWR > 10,000lbs and countries requiring a commercial license.

I have a '12 F350 with the 6.7l. Great motor, effortless power, decent fuel mileage with a load. If I were setting up to do long distance remote international travel , I would probably stay with a gasser though. While the 6.7 is very reliable (any common rail diesel actually), the potential Achilles heel is with the fuel system and their sensitivity to fuel quality. Water in fuel is the killer for the HPFP. When they have a problem, it tears up the entire fuel system. ULSD has less lubricity so that can add to the wear and tear (probably not a big deal but if the fuel is suspect to begin with...). Yes, you can get the bigger Titan (or TransferFlow), but check at how much lower they hang down. May not be a concern, but it's good to be aware of it. I have a Supercab and they don't have a larger tank available (stuck with a 27g) so make sure of what cab style you're planning on. Larger tanks should be available for the gassers too.

You could do the weight loss program on the 6.7 have no more worries on the DEF or constraints on the ULSD, but the fuel system will always be sensitive.

adam88

Explorer
HopelessDiamond has great advice. I would give the same advice. Don't forget the upfront cost for the diesel (extra 8k I think?). While the 6.7L is a great engine, the reliability and ease of maintenance of the 6.2L can't be beat. It is probably one of the most bulletproof engines ever made at this point, with extremely low failure rates. Honestly, the only time anyone should ever get a diesel engine is if they are towing heavy loads. Hauling is best left to a gas engine.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
The 2017+ F-250/350 truck has a 10 gal DEF tank now (previous era was 5 gal), I average 5,000+ miles between fill-ups, so in regards to that, you could easily handle keeping up with having it on hand or filling up when you come across it. In regards to the additional weight with the diesel in comparison to the gasser, well I don't see it as a burden, we use ours off-road daily and I have yet to see a major difference, but I don't spend extensive time in extremely soft sand so I have no comparisons in that regard. The diesel will undoubtedly have a better fuel range as the 6.2L is no better than the 5.7L in the Tundra when it comes to fuel efficiency. The ULSD availability may be an issue, I can be of no assistance there, so I'd do some more research on that front. The 6.75' short box has a 34 gallon tank, that alone puts you at your 500 mile mark per tank without the need for a $2K fuel tank upgrade. The 8' long box has a 48 gallon tank, defiantly no need there.

In regards to the reliability of the 6.7L, I wouldn't hesitate to take one anywhere in the world. I am on my third 6.7L Super Duty since 2011 and I have personally never had an issue, nor has anyone I know. This doesn't mean that problems don't exist, but we've had better luck with them than we ever did with the Cummins in the Dodge's we used to own. As with any diesel, just make sure you change your fuel filters every 10-15K just to be safe, the 6.7L has two. I change my air filters and fuel filters every 10,000 miles and my oil every 5,000 miles. The 6.7L Super Duty is a nice truck, but it's pricey, the 6.2L gasser can certainly be had for a lot less, that said it's on the way out and soon to be replaced with a new 7.0/7.3L. You can probably cover the difference in the extra fuel needed with the savings in purchasing the gasser?! One positive with the diesel is that you'll have a second battery and a HD alternator to help with the load from all of your accessories.

I can't speak to the Toyota at any depth, but that motor is solid and has lots of power, but it's extremely inefficient, just like the 6.2L. In regards to getting parts and service if needed while abroad, well I don't know for certain, but I'd have to assume that you'd have better luck with the Toyota than you would with either Ford. My pick would be the diesel, but I am biased because I own one, in your case I'd probably lean towards the Super Duty with the 6.2L gasser. Eliminate the extra expense up front on the purchase as well as the added maintenance and operating costs for pricier fuel and DEF. It goes without saying, that you'll get better mileage with the diesel if you plan to tow.

Good luck in your search, it sounds like an amazing adventure awaits the two of you, be sure to start a build thread as you go along with the build.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I own a 2017 F-350 with the 6.7, although it has been a good truck so far, I only own it for towing capacity or I would have the 6.2. To me this is a no brainer, I would get the 6.2 for your application.

Dalko43

Explorer
F250 with 6.2l gasser. Tundra. Ram 2500 with 6.4l Hemi (Power Wagon would be a good fit for what you're doing). Any one of those three will be good options for your trip. I think a gasser is a no brainer for traveling south of the border, at least for the time being. ULSD and DEF is starting to see use in developing nations, but I don't think you can expect the same level of availability or quality that you can in Europe or the North America. Fuel range can be dealt with toting extra jerry cans. The Expedition Overlands crew seemed to complete their recent South America trip (with heavily-laden gasoline vehicles) just fine. I'd be surprised if their LC 200 was getting anything better than 11-12 mpg, and yet they didn't seem to have any issues.

If you really want to go the diesel route, I'd say you're either looking at deleting a modern diesel truck (which is technically illegal) or you're looking at getting an older diesel which doesn't require DEF and can run reliably on lower quality diesel fuel (a 7.3L F-250, a 24v or 12v 5.9l Cummins Dodge, ect.).

IMHO, the 2nd option could be more fun and cheaper to do. It also may make more financial sense if you just want to use the vehicle for this trip and then sell it afterwards.

Last edited:

Explorerinil

Observer
I'm looking to travel from Point Barrow (Alaska) to Cape Horn (South America) from Summer 2019 to Summer 2020 and I am having trouble deciding on a vehicle. The plan is to purchase a vehicle and Four Wheel Camper to gain experience with overlanding via weekend trips throughout the US.

My girlfriend and I have settled on a Four Wheel Camper Hawk (6.5ft) or Grandby (8ft) camper to live in for the year of travel. We considered a smaller camper, but I am concerned with overloading a vehicles GVWR and we would also like to pull a ~6000-7000lb horse trailer.

I am considering a Toyota Tundra, Ford F250, and possibly a Ram 2500 for the trip.

We are leaning towards the 2017+ F250 and are having trouble deciding between the 6.2L or the 6.7L.

As far as I see it, the 6.2L is bulletproof, but a gas hog. I am estimating 11mpg with the camper and equipment on average, which would mean ~ 330 mile range per tank of fuel. (35 gal – 5gal reserve * 11mpg). Based upon our travel requirements I would prefer to have a >500 mile range of fuel. This would mean we would need to carry about four jerry cans of fuel. The gas range of the 6.2L is my only concern. I also like the fact the 6.2L has a larger payload capacity, and could be better off road, due to it's lighter weight.

For the 6.7L I would add a Titan after-market tank (55 gal), and I am estimating 14 mpg, which would put my range at 700 miles. (55gal -5 reserve * 14 mpg). My concerns with the 6.7L are the higher vehicle weight for off road, the reliability of the engine, DEF fluid availability, and ULSD.

Do you think the range of the 6.7L is worth it for the planned trip? It looks like ULSD will only be sold in Mexico after Dec 2018 and is already available in many other South American countries, DEF seems to be available in major cities, the 6.7L seems to be one of the most reliable diesel engines recently produced, there will be some issues with starting in Alaska, if all else fails in South America I could delete the DEF system.

Thoughts or considerations? I know the diesel vs gas topic has been debated, but it seems the newer trucks are proving to be more reliable?

Thank you!
I manage a fleet of ford vehicles, bought for fleet because they are cheap price wise for fleet owners. Overall the 6.7 is the only reliable power stroke we have had, I say that because in cold weather the 7.3 has trouble starting. The 6.7 is very complex and is not something the average person can work on, they have been decent with minor emission problems and turbos on the first gen. Ball joints and steering components have failed much like older ram. The 6.2 has been pretty much problem free, the 5.0 in my truck is leaking oil with 2500 miles on it. I wouldn't consider any diesel for South America until better fuel can be sorted out.

I would get a ram power wagon, the 6.4 has been great, tons of power and front and rear lockers might come in handy.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
How much do those slide-in campers weigh? My 250 has 2500# haul capacity only. If your camper is under that, cool. But I'd recommend air springs and Daystar cups added for stability. I'll go look at my sticker. Keep in mind, 250's might only have a 10,000# GVR and a 12,500# tow rating.

A 350 might be a better choice with 3500# hauling capacity.

I tested them all, the 2017, 2018 Fords are going to be hot for a while. We'll see what the 2019 Dodges have in store, but the current Dodges ain't so hot if you drive both back to back. Progress as usual, not really fair to compare new models to old models.

If you don't need the 6.7 diesel, don't get the diesel. It's a major headache. Cold starts, dealer fuel filter changes, two water pumps, expensive. If you want power, just make sure the 6.2L trucks have 4.30 gears. The 3.73 is plenty good though. And if you plan on tires larger than 34", you'll need a 4.56 gear anyways. Note that the diesel eats 700# or your cargo capacity. The higher end KR, Lariat, Plat trims might eat another 500#. Back massager's and moon roofs add up.

Don't overlook the XL's and XLT's either. The electric package for an XL is only $1200. My eyes prefer the standard XL/XLT headlights with 4 low beam bulbs, over the LED lights. Halogen isn't as bright, but has better throw in snow. Absolutely get the Fx4 and the E-locker. The rear sway bar, camper kit is a good idea as well. No need for dual alternators. If you want a single heavy duty alternator, order the plow kit, and add a Hellwig sway bar your self. That's the way I'd go. The plow springs match the rear springs nicely.

You want range? Get the crew cab long bed. 45g tank or something obscene on those. The new Fords read E on the gauge early. I think my 35g tank goes to E with 8g left in the tank. My 6.2 gets 15 mpg hwy unloaded.

Things to know:
-Make sure the bed and cab line up. They can be a PITA to line up at the factory. The cab is a hair wider on each side of the bed. Simple fix. Loosen the bolts and give a swift kick to one of the doors.
-Door creaks are just the striker, lube it, or put a little piece of E tape on it.
-The auto hubs will be locked on delivery.
-You might need shackles to hook trailer chains up. The hitch is a HD 3" with thicker chain hook area.
-make sure your 3" to 2" hitch adapter and pin is attached to the truck. Dealers love to steal those because they were missing on someone else's truck.
-Retorque lugs at 3000 miles.
-Spray in bed liner ASAP.
- these new trucks can be programmed to allow tire pressures as low as 50 without tripping out. Many stock trucks will allow down to 60 in the rear. If you trip the low pressure warning, take all tires up to 80 until it clears.

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I'd rather overload a 250 and take my chances with the highway patrol guys. HOA's can be pure evil. Add more spring to an F250 and you've got an F350. Even a Firestone RR kit would do the trick.

LOLz, the FWC hawk is under 1000#'s! My mistake. Man that's light.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
How much do those slide-in campers weigh? My 250 has 2500# haul capacity only. If your camper is under that, cool. But I'd recommend air springs and Daystar cups added for stability. I'll go look at my sticker. Keep in mind, 250's might only have a 10,000# GVR and a 12,500# tow rating.

A 350 might be a better choice with 3500# hauling capacity.

I tested them all, the 2017, 2018 Fords are going to be hot for a while. We'll see what the 2019 Dodges have in store, but the current Dodges ain't so hot if you drive both back to back. Progress as usual, not really fair to compare new models to old models.

If you don't need the 6.7 diesel, don't get the diesel. It's a major headache. Cold starts, dealer fuel filter changes, two water pumps, expensive. If you want power, just make sure the 6.2L trucks have 4.30 gears. The 3.73 is plenty good though. And if you plan on tires larger than 34", you'll need a 4.56 gear anyways. Note that the diesel eats 700# or your cargo capacity. The higher end KR, Lariat, Plat trims might eat another 500#. Back massager's and moon roofs add up.

Don't overlook the XL's and XLT's either. The electric package for an XL is only $1200. My eyes prefer the standard XL/XLT headlights with 4 low beam bulbs, over the LED lights. Halogen isn't as bright, but has better throw in snow. Absolutely get the Fx4 and the E-locker. The rear sway bar, camper kit is a good idea as well. No need for dual alternators. If you want a single heavy duty alternator, order the plow kit, and add a Hellwig sway bar your self. That's the way I'd go. The plow springs match the rear springs nicely.

You want range? Get the crew cab long bed. 45g tank or something obscene on those. The new Fords read E on the gauge early. I think my 35g tank goes to E with 8g left in the tank. My 6.2 gets 15 mpg hwy unloaded.

Things to know:
-Make sure the bed and cab line up. They can be a PITA to line up at the factory. The cab is a hair wider on each side of the bed. Simple fix. Loosen the bolts and give a swift kick to one of the doors.
-Door creaks are just the striker, lube it, or put a little piece of E tape on it.
-The auto hubs will be locked on delivery.
-You might need shackles to hook trailer chains up. The hitch is a HD 3" with thicker chain hook area.
-make sure your 3" to 2" hitch adapter and pin is attached to the truck. Dealers love to steal those because they were missing on someone else's truck.
-Retorque lugs at 3000 miles.
-Spray in bed liner ASAP.
- these new trucks can be programmed to allow tire pressures as low as 50 without tripping out. Many stock trucks will allow down to 60 in the rear. If you trip the low pressure warning, take all tires up to 80 until it clears.

Unless he gets one of the first job 17 models it is highly unlikely to have a 3" hitch on anything but dually diesels. I found the fx4 package a waste personally. I got the e-locker as a stand alone option, and installed Fox 2.0 shocks which seem to be rated better than the Ranchos.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I'd rather overload a 250 and take my chances with the highway patrol guys. HOA's can be pure evil. Add more spring to an F250 and you've got an F350. Even a Firestone RR kit would do the trick.

LOLz, the FWC hawk is under 1000#'s! My mistake. Man that's light.

Not sure if its a diesel only option but in 2107 Ford had the max tow package on f250's and it came with some beefy springs in the back, but the camper package probably does the same thing.

marengineer

I looked into adding addition water separators/filters with a lift pump, but it looks like it replaces the stock filters. I'm fairly confident with my mechanical abilities, I used to work on marine diesels, but the horror stories of modern diesels leaving people stranded does scare me.

I'd look into a pre-emissions used diesel, but my state doesn't require vehicle inspections and I'm leery of purchasing a motor I know has been tuned or altered in some way.

Considered the crew cab long bed with the 48gal tank, but I'm concerned with turning radius in city and possibly difficulties off road.

I haven't seen a rear bumper swing out for the 2017+ F250, any recommendations on where to store 4+ jerry cans?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior