2017 F250 for Cape Horn

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Bags will get you same net on a 250 as a stock 350 and they help to level out your load, a no brainer upgrade honestly.

Like most have said, for a south of the border ride it's probably best to stick to a gasser. Unless you order your truck, you'll need to get a FX4 equipped model to get the e-locker, dealers don't order them on 4x4's usually for those without the FX4 option.

Looks like you should look for a F-250 FX4 6.2L or a Powerwagon.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I looked into adding addition water separators/filters with a lift pump, but it looks like it replaces the stock filters. I'm fairly confident with my mechanical abilities, I used to work on marine diesels, but the horror stories of modern diesels leaving people stranded does scare me.

I'd look into a pre-emissions used diesel, but my state doesn't require vehicle inspections and I'm leery of purchasing a motor I know has been tuned or altered in some way.

Considered the crew cab long bed with the 48gal tank, but I'm concerned with turning radius in city and possibly difficulties off road.

I haven't seen a rear bumper swing out for the 2017+ F250, any recommendations on where to store 4+ jerry cans?

Ford has a pretty sweet fuel filter setup now, it blows away the other 2 IMO. I think my next truck will be a gasser, they seem to get a higher tow rating every year and I have 3 or 4 more years to go.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Most trucks on my lot's have Fx4. It add some skidplates, not heavy duty or anything, but way better than nothing. You can beef them up more if you want to. And the downhill assist, which is actually pretty cool.

I thought all the new Fords had the bigger hitch? Mine does, and it's just a 250.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Most trucks on my lot's have Fx4. It add some skidplates, not heavy duty or anything, but way better than nothing. You can beef them up more if you want to. And the downhill assist, which is actually pretty cool.

I thought all the new Fords had the bigger hitch? Mine does, and it's just a 250.

They all come with the 2.5 hitch, that's probably what you have, early 2017's had the 3", then the switch to later jobs it went only to dually diesel models. I have the 3" hitch since have a F350 single wheel, but you cant get it that way anymore.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Thanks. That makes more sense. A 2.5" hitch with a 2" adapter (that gets stolen on the dealers lot).

Anyways, I'm loving the new truck. Ride is starting to finally smooth out a bit. I hope the Mich LTX's pick up a lot of nails, or wear quickly. 6.2L is plenty of go. I have to go to the dealer to get a brake controller added, but that can wait.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
They all come with the 2.5 hitch, that's probably what you have, early 2017's had the 3", then the switch to later jobs it went only to dually diesel models. I have the 3" hitch since have a F350 single wheel, but you cant get it that way anymore.

My 2017 Job 1 has the standard 2.5" with the 2" sleeve, but my buddies Job 1 came with the obnoxious 3" receiver. I personally don't see the need unless you have a DRW or 450 or bigger, but it does look cool.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
My 2017 Job 1 has the standard 2.5" with the 2" sleeve, but my buddies Job 1 came with the obnoxious 3" receiver. I personally don't see the need unless you have a DRW or 450 or bigger, but it does look cool.
I ended buying a "weigh-safe" 3" aluminum receiver hitch to avoid using adapter sleeves. I think the 2.5" had a 15k capacity and the 3" had a 18k if I remember correctly.

Dalko43

Explorer
I tested them all, the 2017, 2018 Fords are going to be hot for a while. We'll see what the 2019 Dodges have in store, but the current Dodges ain't so hot if you drive both back to back. Progress as usual, not really fair to compare new models to old models.

Lol...Buliwyf and his 'Fords are superior' comments.

What the diesel availability south of the equator?

They have diesel in South and Central America; I don't think ULSD has the same availability down there as it does in North America.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Well, I didn't buy a Dodge, did I. Good luck in 2019. Maybe they'll get rid of the AAM axle. I wanted to like the Dodge, but some of the critical areas I'm interested in, are FUBAR on them.

Last edited:

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Just for safety reasons I would buy a gas truck.
There are no good (or call it american quality) diesel in many countries of Latin America.

------------

I have question to the ford guys here.

Why has not Ford put the new 10 speed transmission in F250/350 yet?
Is not the 10 speed more necessary for HD trucks?

and if you were to buy a new F250 strictly for overlanding what gears would you buy it with? and why?
3.75 or 4.30?

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Isn't the new 10 speed for the F150? The 6r110 G and 6r140 are pretty nice transmissions. I thought a 10 speed was coming for 2020?

Either gear for stock tires is fine. 4.30 for slightly larger tires. 4.30 for much bigger tow ratings. 3.73 coasts nicer and has lower unloaded rpm. Will need to regear the 6.2L's to 4.56 for 35"+ tires, so it doesn't matter to me. I'll add a front locker at the same time. On the 18's, it seems like you have to order 4.30 to get the rear e-locker.

Diesels aren't as picky with gears. I think 4.10 seems to be hot for them right now.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Buliwyf

Isn't the new 10 speed for the F150? The 6r110 G and 6r140 are pretty nice transmissions.

Not sure. That's why I am asking. People happen to like that new transmission. My logic tells me that it could be better for F250 as well.

I thought a 10 speed was coming for 2020?
This I don't know. I hope they will put it. It has better gear ratios and you could have better control over the truck.
Don't forget big trucks in the US or the EU have a lot of gears. 15-25 is normal. I have seen a MAN truck with 28 gears. :D

The new 10 speed may come with the aforementioned new 7.3 GAS.
Also, 3.5 Ecoboost has got more HP/lb-ft than 6.2 Gas. So I think the 10 speed won't have any issues if they pare it with the 6.2

On the 18's, it seems like you have to order 4.30 to get the rear e-locker.

This is good to know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior