2017 F250 for Cape Horn

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Isn't the new 10 speed for the F150? The 6r110 G and 6r140 are pretty nice transmissions. I thought a 10 speed was coming for 2020?

Either gear for stock tires is fine. 4.30 for slightly larger tires. 4.30 for much bigger tow ratings. 3.73 coasts nicer and has lower unloaded rpm. Will need to regear the 6.2L's to 4.56 for 35"+ tires, so it doesn't matter to me. I'll add a front locker at the same time. On the 18's, it seems like you have to order 4.30 to get the rear e-locker.

Diesels aren't as picky with gears. I think 4.10 seems to be hot for them right now.

Diesels you only have a choice of 3.55 or 3.31 unless you get a dually. If I was buying a gas I would get 4.30 so I could pull a load with taller tires.

phsycle

Adventurer
F250 with 6.2l gasser. Tundra. Ram 2500 with 6.4l Hemi (Power Wagon would be a good fit for what you're doing). Any one of those three will be good options for your trip...

I would not suggest a Tundra in this case. Just the camper alone eats up almost all of the payload. Same with the Powerwagon. Both are around 1,500lbs. A Hawk is 1,100lbs Dry.

Dalko43

Explorer
I would not suggest a Tundra in this case. Just the camper alone eats up almost all of the payload. Same with the Powerwagon. Both are around 1,500lbs. A Hawk is 1,100lbs Dry.

Pretty sure you can get a Tundra with a payload of ~1.6k lbs, which should be adequate for a conventional camper and certainly capable of taking a lighter truck topper: http://adventuretrailers.com/campers/toyota-habitat/

Same applies for the PW. The underlying Ram 2500 platform is good up to 3.3k lbs; the suspension would likely need to be changed out on the PW for a conventional camper, but the rest of the platform is more than capable of dealing with that kind of payload.

phsycle

Adventurer
Pretty sure you can get a Tundra with a payload of ~1.6k lbs, which should be adequate for a conventional camper and certainly capable of taking a lighter truck topper: http://adventuretrailers.com/campers/toyota-habitat/

Same applies for the PW. The underlying Ram 2500 platform is good up to 3.3k lbs; the suspension would likely need to be changed out on the PW for a conventional camper, but the rest of the platform is more than capable of dealing with that kind of payload.

Even at 1.6k lbs, you've got a 1.1k lb DRY weight camper. Add water (20 gal tank), supplies, and at minimum, you're at 1.4k, but probably more. Add passengers, luggage, etc., you're now over. I'm not even counting the trailer they're looking to pull. Same deal with the PW. I understand you can change out the suspension, add air bags, bigger brakes, etc. But when it comes down to it, legally, you are over GVWR.

I would personally just get a 3/4 ton, whether it's an F250 or Ram 2500 (gas). I don't see any advantage going with either the Tundra or PW for this guy's uses.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Since we're talking camper, I would go with a Ford SD or the Ram 2500, and would avoid the PW or Tundra. The PW costs a bit more, and you'll need more rear spring.

The regular 250/2500 will leave a ton of budget space for mods. The Ford already has a rear locker, so add any locker you want up front. If you do custom gears at the same time, $3000 maybe. Add better tires, a simple level kit, and maybe some King Coil over front shocks, and you're still under PW pricing. Don't really need a sway bar disco, all though it's nice. 5 min with a electric impact fixes that for the rare case when you'd want to with a camper in the back.

I think $4-7000 can custom outfit a truck very nicely. My truck was $38,000! Power Wagon was $49-51,000. I can do all kinds of cool stuff for $11-13,000.

We see the same thing with the Colorado ZR2, it may be better for some people to build one themselves from the base truck.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
LOL Wrong.

16314261.jpg

Would you like a lolly?

phsycle

Adventurer
I think $4-7000 can custom outfit a truck very nicely. My truck was $38,000! Power Wagon was $49-51,000. I can do all kinds of cool stuff for $11-13,000...

I do believe you can get a Tradesman Powerwagon for much cheaper. Around $40k (or under?).

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I wish.

But even still, I live in the snow belt. That's how I lost my 2008 F250. Even if the aluminum was paper thin like a pop can I would have still chosen it.

Dalko43

Explorer
Even at 1.6k lbs, you've got a 1.1k lb DRY weight camper. Add water (20 gal tank), supplies, and at minimum, you're at 1.4k, but probably more. Add passengers, luggage, etc., you're now over. I'm not even counting the trailer they're looking to pull. Same deal with the PW. I understand you can change out the suspension, add air bags, bigger brakes, etc. But when it comes down to it, legally, you are over GVWR.

I would personally just get a 3/4 ton, whether it's an F250 or Ram 2500 (gas). I don't see any advantage going with either the Tundra or PW for this guy's uses.

The only thing that would need to be upgraded on the PW for a heavy camper load are the rear springs and shocks. Everything else on the PW (brakes, frame, axles, overall chassis) is pretty much the same as the regular gasser Ram 2500. I agree that there are other platforms that can do the job for a lower $, but I'm just pointing out that the PW is more than capable for such duties. Also, I don't know if the OP specified what kind of camper he wanted. In this day-and-age, there are lightweight hybrid truck toppers/campers that come in far below 1k lbs, like the Adventure Trailers product referenced previously.

Plenty of people also running conventional and lightweight campers on their Tundra's. As long as the weight is managed appropriately, either platform should handle that duty just fine.

I wish.

But even still, I live in the snow belt. That's how I lost my 2008 F250. Even if the aluminum was paper thin like a pop can I would have still chosen it.

Unlike a lot of brand loyalists, I don't have a problem with Ford's switch to Aluminum bodies. However, outside of weight savings, I think there is little benefit to the switch. Yes the body panels may take longer to degrade, but all the important parts underneath the truck (frame, axles) are going to rust at the same rate as other trucks do.

chet6.7

Explorer
I don't think Ram recommends their 2500 for a slide in camper,it's right in the manual as I remember it.

phsycle

Adventurer
The only thing that would need to be upgraded on the PW for a heavy camper load are the rear springs and shocks. Everything else on the PW (brakes, frame, axles, overall chassis) is pretty much the same as the regular gasser Ram 2500. I agree that there are other platforms that can do the job for a lower $, but I'm just pointing out that the PW is more than capable for such duties. Also, I don't know if the OP specified what kind of camper he wanted. In this day-and-age, there are lightweight hybrid truck toppers/campers that come in far below 1k lbs, like the Adventure Trailers product referenced previously.

Plenty of people also running conventional and lightweight campers on their Tundra's. As long as the weight is managed appropriately, either platform should handle that duty just fine..

Hm, interesting about the PW. I'm guessing they're just softer springs that give more articulation, then.

Camper the OP mentioned is right on the first post:
"My girlfriend and I have settled on a Four Wheel Camper Hawk (6.5ft) or Grandby (8ft) camper to live in for the year of travel. We considered a smaller camper, but I am concerned with overloading a vehicles GVWR and we would also like to pull a ~6000-7000lb horse trailer."

I believe there are bare-bones shell models that is essentially a truck shell, so dressing that up with minimal and light interior bits may be ok. Though they are still 800+ lbs Dry.

http://www.fourwh.com/product/empty-shell-model-popup-truck-camper/

But you look at the MPG of the Tundra vs the 3/4 tons, they are about the same----why limit yourself? Plus, the 6k lb horse trailer added on would still take it over payload on a Tundra even with a lightweight camper.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
For the super duty's - the 10 speed HD transmissions are supposed to be introduced on the 2020 model re-fresh along with the third generation 6.7L, and the new big-block gasser.

the non-US/Canada spec super duties optioned with diesels still use the 6.7L, but with the emissions equipment removed. Ultimately what puts the US diesels in to limp mode when not using ULSD is when the DPF gets clogged with crap from lower quality diesel and can't burn it off. The dual fuel filter system on the 6.7L was designed to filtrate fuel from Mexico, south America, middle east and Australia where the SD's are exported to.

and for those that have complaint against the AAM axles in the RAM's. There is nothing wrong with them, they're excellent axles just as well as the Dana's are. The Corporate 11.5 in the PW and RAM 3500's is essentially the same 14 bolt that GM uses in its rear axles. the 9.5AAM in the front, while unique to the RAM's, is a solid axle derivative of the same front differential that GM uses in their trucks as well and has been strengthened based on Chryslers safety margin requests. The 2014 plus axles are significantly reinforced over the previous generations and the issues with ball joints, steering and bent housings are things of the past.

Ford's 'Super 60" Dana 60 front end is still stronger than the 9.5AAM, but not by leaps and bounds. the 11.5 Corporate in the rear is marginally stronger than the Sterling 10.5 Ford uses (built by Dana) in the F250's. However the 2017+ F350's uses Dana M275 rear axles and the 450+ use Dana M300's. SO keep in mind that if you do option yourself with the Gasser F350, the Dana M275 rear axle doesn't have any after market gear support and you'll be restricted to using Ford's OEM R&P sets, which max out at 4.30.

the AAM/corporate RAM combo has ring sets up to 5.29

that said, Carli is working on a set of rebuildable super HD ball joints for the 2014+'s RAMs

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior