2017 F250 for Cape Horn

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
Where did you read that?

the 4th gen axles have more ribs on the housing, and a large cast piece on the passenger side tube that holds the disconnect system that actually makes the axle housing stronger than the 3RD variants. Also steering links and ball joints are different part numbers with larger sizing for increased strength. Unfortunately the same cannot the said for the track bars (front or rear) which are lacking

Dalko43

Explorer
the 4th gen axles have more ribs on the housing, and a large cast piece on the passenger side tube that holds the disconnect system that actually makes the axle housing stronger than the 3RD variants. Also steering links and ball joints are different part numbers with larger sizing for increased strength. Unfortunately the same cannot the said for the track bars (front or rear) which are lacking

Got it. I didn't realize you were talking about the 4th gen changes. I keep thinking that the generation changeover was 2013, but I realize that was only for the 3500.

I do appreciate all the updates Ram has put into their 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. The 4th generation seems to have far less front end problems than the previous generations. I also agree that differences in axle durability between AAM and Dana are negligible. The AAM's have seen extensive use for towing and rock crawling; they work just fine.

Last edited:

Explorerinil

Observer
For the super duty's - the 10 speed HD transmissions are supposed to be introduced on the 2020 model re-fresh along with the third generation 6.7L, and the new big-block gasser.

the non-US/Canada spec super duties optioned with diesels still use the 6.7L, but with the emissions equipment removed. Ultimately what puts the US diesels in to limp mode when not using ULSD is when the DPF gets clogged with crap from lower quality diesel and can't burn it off. The dual fuel filter system on the 6.7L was designed to filtrate fuel from Mexico, south America, middle east and Australia where the SD's are exported to.

and for those that have complaint against the AAM axles in the RAM's. There is nothing wrong with them, they're excellent axles just as well as the Dana's are. The Corporate 11.5 in the PW and RAM 3500's is essentially the same 14 bolt that GM uses in its rear axles. the 9.5AAM in the front, while unique to the RAM's, is a solid axle derivative of the same front differential that GM uses in their trucks as well and has been strengthened based on Chryslers safety margin requests. The 2014 plus axles are significantly reinforced over the previous generations and the issues with ball joints, steering and bent housings are things of the past.

Ford's 'Super 60" Dana 60 front end is still stronger than the 9.5AAM, but not by leaps and bounds. the 11.5 Corporate in the rear is marginally stronger than the Sterling 10.5 Ford uses (built by Dana) in the F250's. However the 2017+ F350's uses Dana M275 rear axles and the 450+ use Dana M300's. SO keep in mind that if you do option yourself with the Gasser F350, the Dana M275 rear axle doesn't have any after market gear support and you'll be restricted to using Ford's OEM R&P sets, which max out at 4.30.

the AAM/corporate RAM combo has ring sets up to 5.29

that said, Carli is working on a set of rebuildable super HD ball joints for the 2014+'s RAMs

Do you have a link for this new big block ford gasser? I'm interested in readin up on that, thanks

Littlehouse

Adventurer
Do you have a link for this new big block ford gasser? I'm interested in readin up on that, thanks

Been in the rumor mill for about a year now due to a large investment, several hundred million, in the Essex engine plant. I don't think I've seen Ford confirm anything yet.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Been in the rumor mill for about a year now due to a large investment, several hundred million, in the Essex engine plant. I don't think I've seen Ford confirm anything yet.

Third from the bottom, 7.3L gasser.

uj4NZQO.jpg

TexasSixSeven

Observer
Isn't the new 10 speed for the F150? The 6r110 G and 6r140 are pretty nice transmissions. I thought a 10 speed was coming for 2020?

Either gear for stock tires is fine. 4.30 for slightly larger tires. 4.30 for much bigger tow ratings. 3.73 coasts nicer and has lower unloaded rpm. Will need to regear the 6.2L's to 4.56 for 35"+ tires, so it doesn't matter to me. I'll add a front locker at the same time. On the 18's, it seems like you have to order 4.30 to get the rear e-locker.

Diesels aren't as picky with gears. I think 4.10 seems to be hot for them right now.

The stock tires on factory 20” rims are 34.5”. I’ve driven them with both 3.73 and 4.30s. Either do just fine. I’d opt for the 4.30 if spending any decent amount of time towing, but I can’t see a single reason to regear to 4.56 when 4.30 is a factory option. Definitely not just because you want to run a .5” larger tire.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
Apparently there’s a loophole at Dodge if you order a chassis cab, you can get SRW gasser with the Aisin transmission and 4.44 gears. All the beef you’ll ever need. Not sure if you get the big rear mounted tank, but I think you do.

The Power Wagons don’t have the load capacity to handle most campers.

The Ford is OK too, the e-locker is nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online