2024 Land Cruiser in the USA?

DFNDER

If the mpg is actually as good as the ratings, I’ll probably dump my Defender and get an LC in ‘25 once initial market demand burns off. It’s pretty much all about the mpg for me. The oil companies are taking too much out of my pocket every time I take a long trip with the camper.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
If the mpg is actually as good as the ratings, I’ll probably dump my Defender and get an LC in ‘25 once initial market demand burns off. It’s pretty much all about the mpg for me. The oil companies are taking too much out of my pocket every time I take a long trip with the camper.
If the Tacoma get a real world 24, not seeing how the LC could do any better

MotoDave

Explorer
A bunch of details dropped today:

1958 edition starting MSRP $55,950
img_8727-jpeg.3562241

Pricing (copied from ih8mud https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/land-cruiser-pricing-announced.1332807/)

23 mpg combined (22 city / 25 hwy / 23 combined)

The configurator was also working off and on

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
A bunch of details dropped today:

1958 edition starting MSRP $55,950
img_8727-jpeg.3562241

Pricing (copied from ih8mud https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/land-cruiser-pricing-announced.1332807/)

23 mpg combined (22 city / 25 hwy / 23 combined)

The configurator was also working off and on

A small diesel and that thing would be getting 30+. My 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the OM642 diesel and a 5 speed transmission gets 25 hwy on 33 inch tires and a 2 inch lift. Plus I have heated seats and a rear locker.

GetOutThere

Adventurer
So around a 600km working range stock, empty, before off road tires. No payload numbers I can find anywhere.

The off road angles/clearances are Subaru numbers.

Canada hasn't had a Land Cruiser since 1989, so I'm pretty sure these will be flying off the lot if they start low 60s CAD. Though I'm not sure I personally see the value over a mid size pickup at that price point. There are a lot of good options with weak payloads on the overland market these days, but next to no mid size BoF SRA SUVs outside of Toyota.

MotoDave

Explorer
I've seen GX550 payload ratings of 1,545lb on Overtrail (18” wheels)

LC250 1958 Edition Payload: 1687 lbs
(GVWR 6725 lbs - Curb Weight 5038 lbs)

T-Willy

So around a 600km working range stock, empty, before off road tires. No payload numbers I can find anywhere.

Canada hasn't had a Land Cruiser since 1989, so I'm pretty sure these will be flying off the lot if they start low 60s CAD. Though I'm not sure I personally see the value over a mid size pickup at that price point. There are a lot of good options with weak payloads on the overland market these days, but next to no mid size BoF SRA SUVs outside of Toyota.

I was able to download a spec sheet ("download details") yesterday from the Toyota website. They've since removed that function.

But, for the 1958, it shows:

Payload of 1687 lbs
Fuel capacity of 17.9 gallons
MPG 22/25/23 yields a range of around 375-450 miles (600 - 725 kms).

Overall, not too shabby.

I wish they'd equipped it with the larger fuel tank from the GX, but, other than that, add some 33's and this truck is an out-of-the-box capable remote tourer.

Last edited:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I was able to download a spec sheet ("download details") yesterday from the Toyota website. They've since removed that function.

Payload of 1687 lbs

Overall, not too shabby.

I wish they'd equipped it with the larger fuel tank from the GX, but, other than that, add some 33's and this truck is an out-of-the-box capable remote tourer.
It’s what I want but don’t need it so probably won’t get it…😆

T-Willy

It’s what I want but don’t need it so probably won’t get it…😆

I hear ya.

It's the closest we'll ever see to a modernized 80 series, which is great.

Problem is, my 80 series still work great. I imagine I'll pick one up in two or three years once the dust, hype, and prices settle -- a long-term replacement to one of our 80s.

zimm

Expedition Leader

Payload of 1687 lbs

Overall, not too shabby.

What? the people want 500m range? lets build a drive train that can get it, then decrease the tank size just to screw with them.

GetOutThere

Adventurer

Payload of 1687 lbs

Overall, not too shabby.

If the payload of the fully loaded model really is close to 1700 lbs, that's a big deal. Awesome numbers.

I did my range calc using the combined, then removed 40km because no one is running dry.

ChasingOurTrunks

Biggest advantage of the LC over a similarly sized pickup is that you are getting a dust and waterproof shell while retaining payload; with a truck, you are sacrificing a % of payload in order to waterproof and dustproof your gear. In the mid-size market, this can often be as much as 20% of payload, which then puts you right back into Jeep JL/4-Runner territory. A midsize truck gives you more volume for cargo, but the game of payload is still afoot, and the LC actually has some significant advantages in this space if they truly are maintaining a near-1700 lbs payload. A roof load isn't idea, for example, but it can address the "volume" issue and the LC comes with payload to spare for racks and other load carrying kit.

Payload of 1687 lbs

Overall, not too shabby.

Did you happen on towing specs on that spec sheet? Curious what the official Toyota number will be.

Also will be curious if those payload numbers stick to that amount after the specs are officially released.

T-Willy

Biggest advantage of the LC over a similarly sized pickup is that you are getting a dust and waterproof shell while retaining payload; with a truck, you are sacrificing a % of payload in order to waterproof and dustproof your gear. In the mid-size market, this can often be as much as 20% of payload, which then puts you right back into Jeep JL/4-Runner territory. A midsize truck gives you more volume for cargo, but the game of payload is still afoot, and the LC actually has some significant advantages in this space if they truly are maintaining a near-1700 lbs payload. A roof load isn't idea, for example, but it can address the "volume" issue and the LC comes with payload to spare for racks and other load carrying kit.

Did you happen on towing specs on that spec sheet? Curious what the official Toyota number will be.

Also will be curious if those payload numbers stick to that amount after the specs are officially released.

Towing in 6000 lbs.

I expect the payload will stick. I calculated it from GVW - CW.

zimm

Expedition Leader
Stupid move, I agree.
On that note, every truck has design decisions that seem to defy reason. This is better than a 50 gallon tank and 10mpg.

I think we can also take 10% off of epa estimates. Suv's never get the estimate, except with the trip computers that are always 20% optimistic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior