2024 Land Cruiser in the USA?

tacollie

Glamper
If all that information is true that payload is actually less than the current gen 4runner. Maybe it performs better at full payload?

ChasingOurTrunks

Thanks for the link - this summed it up well unfortunately and what I was fearing all along for the last few months.....it's a Prado/GX460 replacement not a "Landcruiser" replacement. It's why I also respect the heck out of the IH8mud community they get to the bottom of this stuff and respect the mechanical lineage based on facts not badges:

"Now that it is FULLY CONFIRMED that the 2024 Land Cruiser is the de facto successor to the 150 series and is the next generation of the light duty Land Cruiser, and for the US market that there are ZERO heavy duty/wagon carryovers like the GX550 is getting (larger rear diff, better payload, e-KDSS, higher towing capacity), it should really bug the hell out of you that Australia gets the 2024 GX Prado for $40k USD. I'll give you an extra $5k considering we get the hybrid. Instead, we are stuck paying $56k for something that elsewhere costs $45k. Why? Because ************** Americans will buy anything, especially when there's a vacuum of decent products in the segment.

Toyota knows they'll likely sell their production capacity at $55k to the US market..but that doesn't mean that you have to pretend like you're not getting ripped off.

Just look at the 4Runner and you'll realize that the Land Cruiser badge is just a $10k appearance package."

I'm really struggling to see how this is different from a 4-runner in terms of practical use. Can the LC250 do anything the 4-runner cannot do, in a significant way? Here's the specs of both that I think matter most to an Overland application:

Metric4-RunnerLand Cruiser
Wheelbase2789 mm2850 mm
Width1926 mm1980 mm
Clearance244 mm221 mm
Towing5000 lbs6000 lbs
Payload1625 lbs1365 lbs
Touring Range804 km666 km

I'll ignore approach and departure as that depends on bumpers which is a common modification, but there isn't much to choose here between these vehicles. Both are built in Japan to Toyota's exacting standards, but I daresay the 4-runner is "tried and true" more than the new powertrain and design of the LC250.

Why would someone consider the LC250 over the 4-Runner for Overland and remote touring? Is it just treading on the cachet of being a "Land Cruiser"?

nickw

Adventurer
I'm really struggling to see how this is different from a 4-runner in terms of practical use. Can the LC250 do anything the 4-runner cannot do, in a significant way? Here's the specs of both that I think matter most to an Overland application:

Wheelbase2789 mm2850 mm
Width1926 mm1980 mm
Clearance244 mm221 mm
Towing5000 lbs6000 lbs
Payload1625 lbs1365 lbs

I'll ignore approach and departure as that depends on bumpers which is a common modification, but there isn't much to choose here between these vehicles. Both are built in Japan to Toyota's exacting standards, but I daresay the 4-runner is "tried and true" more than the new powertrain and design of the LC250.

Why would someone consider the LC250 over the 4-Runner for Overland and remote touring? Is it just treading on the cachet of being a "Land Cruiser"?
That's been my concern all along - based on what we know now, there are no/minimal mechanical differences and 'seems' like it's simply a cachet tread (to use your words which was great!). I'd buy a 4runner if we are objectively/quantitatively looking at the the two vehicles and as your data suggest, the 4runner may be better in several areas.

T-Willy

Wheelbase2789 mm2850 mm
Width1926 mm1980 mm
Clearance244 mm221 mm
Towing5000 lbs6000 lbs
Payload1625 lbs1365 lbs

Based on the information I've seen, I think the only real advantage of the 250 is the efficiency. I expect it also has a larger cargo area footprint (in sq. ft.) but Toyota only publishes volume (in cu. ft.), which in the case of the 250 is taxed by the battery bulge.

jchasse

Wheelbase2789 mm2850 mm
Width1926 mm1980 mm
Clearance244 mm221 mm
Towing5000 lbs6000 lbs
Payload1625 lbs1365 lbs

Is this the 5th gen 4runner or the upcomming 6th?

CanyonLX

Wheelbase2789 mm2850 mm
Width1926 mm1980 mm
Clearance244 mm221 mm
Towing5000 lbs6000 lbs
Payload1625 lbs1365 lbs

Can you add the Gx550 specs on there for comparison factors?

ChasingOurTrunks

Based on the information I've seen, I think the only real advantage of the 250 is the efficiency. I expect it also has a larger cargo area footprint (in sq. ft.) but Toyota only publishes volume (in cu. ft.), which in the case of the 250 is taxed by the battery bulge.

Yes the new drive train does appear to be quite efficient and I think that'll appeal to daily drivers. The 4-runner though comes with enough payload that one optional jerry can makes the actual touring range a wash. If folks are on a really tight touring budget, perhaps that efficiency will come into play also, but I'm thinking if a person is that tight budget-wise, they may not be looking at new vehicles.

Is this the 5th gen 4runner or the upcomming 6th?
Pretty sure it's current gen - I don't know specs on the next gen one.

Can you add the Gx550 specs on there for comparison factors?

Sure!

Metric4-RunnerLand CruiserLexus GX550
Wheelbase2789 mm2850 mm2850 mm
Width1926 mm1980 mm1980 mm
Clearance244 mm221 mm220 mm
Towing5000 lbs6000 lbs9063 lbs (!!)
Payload1625 lbs1365 lbs1367 lbs
Touring Range804 km666 km615 km (est. based on tank capacity and combined avg)

Basically, dimensionally identical to the LC250, with near identical range and payload, but with 3k lbs more towing capacity which is really interesting; something in the LC250 is lighter duty despite it being roughly the same size.

jchasse

Yes the new drive train does appear to be quite efficient and I think that'll appeal to daily drivers. The 4-runner though comes with enough payload that one optional jerry can makes the actual touring range a wash. If folks are on a really tight touring budget, perhaps that efficiency will come into play also, but I'm thinking if a person is that tight budget-wise, they may not be looking at new vehicles.

Pretty sure it's current gen - I don't know specs on the next gen one.

Sure!

Metric4-RunnerLand CruiserLexus GX550
Wheelbase2789 mm2850 mm2850 mm
Width1926 mm1980 mm1980 mm
Clearance244 mm221 mm220 mm
Towing5000 lbs6000 lbs9063 lbs (!!)
Payload1625 lbs1365 lbs1367 lbs
Touring Range804 km666 km615 km (est. based on tank capacity and combined avg)

Basically, dimensionally identical to the LC250, with near identical range and payload, but with 3k lbs more towing capacity which is really interesting; something in the LC250 is lighter duty despite it being roughly the same size.
interesting. how is "touring range" defined? a 5th gen 4runner isn't getting anywhere close to 800km on a single tank of gas, even when deal empty. 500 is more realistic.

GetOutThere

Adventurer
Starts at US $55,900. When I convert that to CAD I get 75K?

View attachment 823000

I'd be pretty surprised to see this start at 60K. I mean I hope you're right and all but......

Direct conversion is not how car sales work in Canada. I did not just pull the estimated price out of my ********.

The 2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road Premium is ~55k USD, and is ~61k CAD. Its the most direct comparison I have.

It starts to get weird when you look at the GX550 prices though, which are way above the average CAD cost conversion for new autos. Things definitely seem to be more volatile when it comes to CAD pricing lately, so it could definitely be more.

ChasingOurTrunks

interesting. how is "touring range" defined? a 5th gen 4runner isn't getting anywhere close to 800km on a single tank of gas, even when deal empty. 500 is more realistic.

Thanks for flagging that - I pulled those numbers of an article that had a bunch of 4-runner specs in it but your comment caused me to do some math and it appears the article has an error there. Direct answer to your question - Touring Range = range; "How far can I go on a tank of gas". Manufacturers have a habit of overestimating efficiency - they measure it on a cool day, down hill, with a tailwind or something - but the real world experience of users is sometimes quite different.

Since we don't really know the "real world" economy of the new LC, it seemed prudent to compare apples to apples on a "Toyota says the range is this much" basis, even with the knowledge that all of those numbers are likely inaccurate - the hope is they are all equally inaccurate to serve as a point of comparison. A better metric would be average range per tank in real-world conditions but that data isn't available in an apples to apples way. But, on closer look, it seems likely that the source I pulled those range numbers from is incorrect.

On math, there's a claim that the 4-runner gets 17 MPG combined, and a claim it has a 23 gallon tank, so that works out to 391 miles, which is 630 KMs. Lower than the 800 on the original source for sure. The same calculation based on 4-runner's claimed 19 MPG on highways (which might be closer to a "max range" figure) then changes the math to 437 miles or 700 kms, so it's pretty much on par with the LCs -- close enough where the habits of the person pushing the throttle will make more of a difference than the design of the vehicle.

Thanks for catching that!

Smitty619

I got to see the LC in person this week, the chassis, axles, etc remind me of a FJ cruiser/4 runner a lot more than it does a LC.
Because it’s a Prado. It doesn’t have the 300 series diff/running gear. The GX550 does get the bigger diffs though.
All in all I’m disappointed.
Payload is lackluster
91 octane requirement sucks
Small diffs on the LC vs GX and 300
Range is better but it’s got an 18 gallon tank.

K9LTW

Because it’s a Prado. It doesn’t have the 300 series diff/running gear. The GX550 does get the bigger diffs though.
All in all I’m disappointed.
Payload is lackluster
91 octane requirement sucks
Small diffs on the LC vs GX and 300
Range is better but it’s got an 18 gallon tank.
I'd even caveat the range/mpgs being better. Stick a 3-4k lb trailer behind the LC and it's going to take a massive hit compared to the GX. I'd guess it'll either be on par at that point or WORSE than the GX's.

And...Koons Toyota in Easton, MD is already starting with the ridiculousness. I mean, c'mon. If you're going to blatantly rip people off, at least use a stock photo of the correct color (the vehicle is supposed to be silver).
LC.PNG

Smitty619

I'd even caveat the range/mpgs being better. Stick a 3-4k lb trailer behind the LC and it's going to take a massive hit compared to the GX. I'd guess it'll either be on par at that point or WORSE than the GX's.

And...Koons Toyota in Easton, MD is already starting with the ridiculousness. I mean, c'mon. If you're going to blatantly rip people off, at least use a stock photo of the correct color (the vehicle is supposed to be silver).
View attachment 826810
Vary valid point about the towing range. Not really a consideration for my current use case, but fantastic point!
$20k markup on a First Edition doesn’t seem surprising. But there’s a few dealers that seem to be honoring MSRP, as per reports by folks on IH8MUD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior