2024 Land Cruiser in the USA?

nickw

Adventurer
Try taking it to a Pep Boys or similar chain auto repair shop and see what their response is if it needs work!

My concern is finding a mechanic that can or would work on a FF axle if it was broken and needed repairs. Sure a good 4x4 Shop that is NOT brand locked would do fine with it but, a dealership or chain is unlikely to have someone that is capable of doing a proper repair.

My local off-road shop is great if you own a Jeep but, they will NOT TOUCH a 4x4 of any different flavor. That leaves me with working with the one Independent mechanic locally that does good work. 100's of miles away from home, how do I find someone to fix a FF axle that is 'broken'?
Still confused and disagree - FF axles are common on HD pickups still to this day, my 2021 has one as do the new trucks, can't speak for Chevy, but ALL Ford and Dodge 3/4T and 1T do so any Ram or Ford truck dealership won't have an issue. They are easier to work on, that is the whole point.

Maybe a local bougie "4X4" shop in Boulder or So Cal won't know, the ones who specialize in bed racks, fake beadlocks and Rotopax's - but if they can't work on a FF axle they should be near any axle.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
So far off topic by post #11 it’s ridiculous, and the OP who said “let’s stay on topic” in post #1 is in like a dirty shirt:ROFLMAO:

Sid Post

Observer
So far off topic by post #11 it’s ridiculous, and the OP who said “let’s stay on topic” in post #1 is in like a dirty shirt:ROFLMAO:

Yep! The thread got sidetracked pretty hard!

It would be nice for anyone with any exposure to the new Land Cruiser to speak up! Is it worth me waiting for or, will it just be a bloated PAVEMENT PRINCESS for mall crawling and the country club? :unsure:

Sid Post

Observer
To follow up on the Nissan posts:
I went to a new Nissan dealer and did a test drive of the new Pathfinder. The new transmission is a definite step in the right direction IMHO.

However, it didn't hold the road well; wandering all over the place. It leaned pretty hard even at slow speeds with modest turns. And, it felt underpowered with stock tires! I can't imagine putting a heavier or taller tire on this vehicle being acceptable without a turbo or engine transplant.

I'll leave this one for the Soccer Moms and Mall Crawlers unless something drastic happens!

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable

It would be nice for anyone with any exposure to the new Land Cruiser to speak up! Is it worth me waiting for or, will it just be a bloated PAVEMENT PRINCESS for mall crawling and the country club? :unsure:
It has the same frame as the new Tundra. I assume the rear axle will have a larger ring and pinion than the FF Dana 44. The specs so far look promising.

I believe you've asked this several times and AFAIK it's still true that nobody has one and won't until probably 03/24 at the earliest. I don't know how serious you are about getting a new vehicle but you seem to be wasting energy gnawing on the new LC. From what you've posted, price will rule it out even when they become available. We are all interested in seeing what it will be like in real life but there is no point in you "waiting" for something that is not realistically in your future.

Sid Post

Observer
I believe you've asked this several times and AFAIK it's still true that nobody has one and won't until probably 03/24 at the earliest. I don't know how serious you are about getting a new vehicle but you seem to be wasting energy gnawing on the new LC. From what you've posted, price will rule it out even when they become available. We are all interested in seeing what it will be like in real life but there is no point in you "waiting" for something that is not realistically in your future.

I could stretch my budget for one "IF" it is really worth it. Ideally, I'd like to find a good Series 80 at a lower price.

Then there is the issue of how different it will be from a Tacoma or Four Runner built from the same components and platform/frame. Will the Land Cruiser really be worth the extra money or, will it just be all marketing?

The frame and drive train appear to be common between all three of these Toyotas so, if it is just accessories and options or marketing, perhaps I would be better off with a cheaper Tacoma or Four Runner.

ovʀʟxnᴅ

How many of you are considering a 2024+ LC? Are we even going to be able to get ahold of a 2024 in 2024? Are they really going to get 20+ mpg? What's the lifespan been for any previous Toyota-used turbos and hybrid batteries? How immune is Toyota to the first model year curse that plagues most manufacturers?

Sid Post

Observer
How many of you are considering a 2024+ LC? Are we even going to be able to get ahold of a 2024 in 2024? Are they really going to get 20+ mpg? What's the lifespan been for any previous Toyota-used turbos and hybrid batteries? How immune is Toyota to the first model year curse that plagues most manufacturers?

The new drive train for the 2024 Land Cruiser is going to be the same as, or very similar to, the Tacoma and Four Runners which are in limited distribution today.

In North America, I don't think we will see any significant numbers until 2025 so, I expect a lot of price gouging initially.

Regarding MPG, I think a conservative person on the highway will see anywhere between 20 and 25 on average assuming flat areas and reasonable speeds. In the Rockies or West Texas with an 80MPH speed limit, mid-teens is probably a more realistic MPG figure.

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
Went to my local Toyota dealer to inquire about ordering LC. They expect to start receiving them sometime mid-year, however they are only expecting a couple a month and their waitlist has 45 people on it, they do NOT charge a dealer markup of any type but will not discount from msrp either.

I put myself on waitlist and was told it is realistically 18 months before they will get to me.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Sounds about like mine as well. You know with the waitlist Toyota is going to pump out mainly high optioned units cause they know people will take them. Did you inquire about the lifetime warranty…😜

gmtech

Observer
i have had a deposit down on one since sept of last year. im fourth in line at that dealership no mark ups . no word on anything yet. no word from anyone on IH8mud forum either to when anyone is going to get one . im pretty open to either 58 edition or landcruiser. just in the color i want which is any other than white or black..

rlynch356

Defyota
I am waiting to see it in person and for the hype to die down a bit, but I am on the list at the local dealer (no deposit), and hopefully will see one in person when they first arrive.
I am excited for it, but also not planning on replacing my 200 series as well... they are different.
It will replace a Jeep Wrangler 4Xe as the family hauler, although I doubt that it can achieve the same MPG's around town that the 4Xe does (who ever thought that would be said???)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears