2024 Lexus GX

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
I'm impressed by it! I love the look, the modifications, and the maintained luxury of the Lexus brand.
From what I've gathered, you should be able to get two different levels of luxury trims with the OverTrail package which will be nice. That way you don't have to buy all the bells and whistles to get this package.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
The retro boxy style +++

The price - - -

Lexus will offer the GX with six trim levels, starting at Premium and topping out at Luxury Plus. In between those, you’ll find a plus variant of the Premium offering and the new Overtrail and Overtrail Plus variants. These new trims come standard with 33-inch tires wrapping 18-inch rims, a locking rear differential, and a wider stance than the standard GX.

Lexus says these ‘24 GX models will start hitting dealers early in 2024, with production slated for the Tahara plant in Japan. The company hasn’t revealed pricing, but you can assume the GX’s current $59,775 base price is going away. We’re expecting a sizable rise in the GX’s price.”

SkiWill

Quite liking this. It's the 1st Lexus I've liked the looks of in a long time.

I wonder if the upcoming North American Land Cruiser will be based off this?

Thoughts?
I completely agree. The rumors are that the NA Land Cruiser will be based off the GX since the 300 Series is not coming except as the LX600. While some have hoped that it would be a 70s Series, that's a complete fantasy. The 250 series GX/Prado platform is the only thing that makes sense for the NA Land Cruiser. I'm hoping that the Toyota version will be available without the adaptive dampeners on the GX and some other easier to clean and service features as opposed to a direct copy with almost no difference in price like the erstwhile 200 series/LX570. I won't hold my breath for Bronco/Wrangler/Grenadier hose out the interior, but it sure would be nice...

The next question is where will the 2024 Land Cruiser go in the forums? Is it a Land Cruiser or is not a Land Cruiser since it will be on the GX/Prado/likely upcoming 4Runner platform. Decisions!

If the price is right and the features (and in some cases lack thereof) are right, I'll very likely buy one (The Land Cruiser probably not the GX).

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I completely agree. The rumors are that the NA Land Cruiser will be based off the GX since the 300 Series is not coming except as the LX600. While some have hoped that it would be a 70s Series, that's a complete fantasy. The 250 series GX/Prado platform is the only thing that makes sense for the NA Land Cruiser. I'm hoping that the Toyota version will be available without the adaptive dampeners on the GX and some other easier to clean and service features as opposed to a direct copy with almost no difference in price like the erstwhile 200 series/LX570. I won't hold my breath for Bronco/Wrangler/Grenadier hose out the interior, but it sure would be nice...

The next question is where will the 2024 Land Cruiser go in the forums? Is it a Land Cruiser or is not a Land Cruiser since it will be on the GX/Prado/likely upcoming 4Runner platform. Decisions!

If the price is right and the features (and in some cases lack thereof) are right, I'll very likely buy one (The Land Cruiser probably not the GX).
Why wouldn't it be a Land Cruiser?

To me the answer is in your question above. You said it would be a Prado Platform. Is the Prado not named Land Cruiser Prado? There are different version of Land Cruisers... 70 Series, Prado, 300 series etc...

Last edited:

ChasingOurTrunks

Are these are most similar to the LC Prado, or the full fledged Land Cruiser? I think that would be a deciding factor for me as I understand the LC Prado to be a good bit smaller in general, and it might be to small for what I like. But, having been starved for in-the-flesh LCs for a long time here, and only ever seeing previous GX's in shiny flashy condition, I've not paid much attention to them. I need some schooling in the platforms here.

Lexus GX460 = Land Cruiser Prado? Toyota 4-Runner?
Lexus GX470 = Land Cruiser 200 series, or just a fancier Prado/4Runner?
Lexus LX = Full Fledged 300 series?

As a rig though I think it looks great - I love the styling of it. But, I'm thinking that if the GX is just a 4Runner mechanically, and that is also a LC Prado mechanically, then the 4Runner is a better bet for the money. I recognize the 4Runner likely won't be built in Japan but I'd be curious how much of a difference that would actually make on quality?
I am warming up to becoming a Toyota guy in the future if you can't tell :D

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Are these are most similar to the LC Prado, or the full fledged Land Cruiser? I think that would be a deciding factor for me as I understand the LC Prado to be a good bit smaller in general, and it might be to small for what I like. But, having been starved for in-the-flesh LCs for a long time here, and only ever seeing previous GX's in shiny flashy condition, I've not paid much attention to them. I need some schooling in the platforms here.

As a rig though I think it looks great - I love the styling of it. But, I'm thinking that if the GX is just a 4Runner mechanically, and that is also a LC Prado mechanically, then the 4Runner is a better bet for the money. I recognize the 4Runner likely won't be built in Japan but I'd be curious how much of a difference that would actually make on quality?
This would be 4 Runner sized. Little bigger than the current GX from what I've read so far.

GX460 was the replacement for the GX470.

100 series Cruiser would be a LX470 in a Lexus.

200 series Cruiser would be a LX570

LX = Full Sized Land Cruiser.

Think of it this way GX LX = size and the number designates the engine. 470 + 4.7 V8, 570 + 5.7 L8...

Last edited:

T-Willy

Insofar as Toyota's new US Land Cruiser shares the GX550 platform, its dimensional similarities with the 80 series are interesting. A slightly larger body rides atop the same wheelbase and slightly wider track. Eager to see payload and fuel capacity on the new platform.

------------------------------------------- 1994 80 Series2024 GX550 Overtrail

Length188.2197.04
Width (w/mirrors)7683.22 in.
Height73.2 in.76.18
Max Cargo Volume91 cu.ft.NA
Track width (Fr/Rr)64/6466.41/66.45
Payload1765NA
Fuel Capacity25.1 gallonsNA
Overall MPG12 (11/14)17 (NA, hybrid to come)
Minimum ground clearance 10.8NA
Wheelbase112.2112.2

Last edited:

SkiWill

Why wouldn't it be a Land Cruiser?

To me the answer is in your question above. You said it would be a Prado Platform. It the Prado not named Land Cruiser Prado? There are different version of Land Cruisers... 70 Series, Prado, 300 series etc...
I was basically kidding and poking the bear. There are arguments from time to time about the Prado not being a "real" Land Cruiser like the new Defender is not a "real" Land Rover. Much ado about nothing as far as I'm concerned on either the Land Rover or Land Cruiser arguments.

The Lexus GX460, Land Cruiser Prado, and 4Runner were all built on the same platform and all built in the same factory in Japan.

The Lexus LX600, Toyota Land Cruiser 300 series, 2024 Lexus GX, 2024 NA Land Cruiser, Prado, Tundra, and Sequoia are all built on slightly dimensionally different TNGA-F platform which is stretched to accommodate differences in the specific vehicle requirements e.g. the much longer wheelbase required for a Tundra.

The current speculation is that with the new 2024 Tacoma as well as Grand Highlander and Lexus TX (unibody crossover) going into production in the US, the 4Runner production will remain in Japan. 4Runner is also largely assumed to be the lowest of priority in terms of updating and/or release date.

Dimensionally there is only about 2 or 3 inches separating the GX from the full fat 300 series based LX in width and length which has led some to question whether the LX600 will remain viable in the US market or go the way of the 200 series Land Cruiser. So, I think you would be fine space wise in the new GX. It is longer than a Grenadier and while I don't have the specs off hand, should be similar in terms of cargo volume. Certainly more than the 4 door JK you used to have.

Regarding 4Runner vs future NA Land Cruiser having the same underpinnings, the 4Runner, if it ever gets updated, is speculated to have the 4 cylinder turbo and rest of the drivetrain of the newly released Tacoma and not the twin turbo V6 torque monster of the GX. The NA Land Cruiser is expected to slot above the 4Runner and may have the V6 available.

I certainly eagerly await the specs when they become available. I don't really eagerly await the pricing though.

SkiWill

Insofar as Toyota's new US Land Cruiser shares the GX550 platform, its dimensional similarities with the 80 series are interesting. A slightly larger body rides atop the same wheelbase and slightly wider track. Eager to see payload and fuel capacity on the new platform.

Length188.2197.04
Width (w/mirrors)7683.22 in.
Height73.2 in.76.18
Max Cargo Volume91 cu.ft.NA
Track width (Fr/Rr)64/6466.41/66.45
Payload1765NA
Fuel Capacity25.1 gallonsNA
Overall MPG12 (11/14)17 (NA, hybrid to come)
Minimum ground clearance 10.8NA
1994 80 Series2024 GX550 Overtrail

Given the pathetic 21.1 gallon capacity in the LX600, prepare for disappointment on the fuel capacity anticipation and hope for better than the initially estimated 17 mpg combined for the 2024 GX.

jaxyaks

Adventurer
The current speculation is that with the new 2024 Tacoma as well as Grand Highlander and Lexus TX (unibody crossover) going into production in the US, the 4Runner production will remain in Japan. 4Runner is also largely assumed to be the lowest of priority in terms of updating and/or release date.
The Tacomas will be made in Mexico, they built 2 factories to build them there.

SkiWill

The Tacomas will be made in Mexico, they built 2 factories to build them there.
You're right. I forgot they moved them to make room for Tundra and Sequoia production in the US. Either way, given the number of new models being manufactured in NAFTA zone, it's hard to imagine shoving another couple hundred thousand 4Runners per year through any of the NAFTA facilities.

T-Willy

Given the pathetic 21.1 gallon capacity in the LX600, prepare for disappointment on the fuel capacity anticipation and hope for better than the initially estimated 17 mpg combined for the 2024 GX.
I too expect to be disappointed on that. I further edited / formatted that table after you quoted it. Apologies.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I too expect to be disappointed on that. I further edited / formatted that table after you quoted it. Apologies.
I've never done any digging on this. Are there any after market long range fuel tank options out there for current GX's?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior