2024 Lexus GX

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
I need to see this in-person, but I’m liking the GX more than the LC.
It's definitely a bit of a toss-up to me but so nice to have all of these options of rugged capable SUVs. Who would have thought that after watching SUVs get neutered through the 2000s, that we'd see such capability come back from almost all manufacturers. . . Ahem... except the Blazer.

ABBB

It's definitely a bit of a toss-up to me but so nice to have all of these options of rugged capable SUVs. Who would have thought that after watching SUVs get neutered through the 2000s, that we'd see such capability come back from almost all manufacturers. . . Ahem... except the Blazer.

Vehicle manufacturers are losing billions to the aftermarket and they finally figured it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
Vehicle manufacturers are losing billions to the aftermarket and they finally figured it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wonder how much longer until with see ARB partnering with Toyota on lockers.

skrypj

One of the benefits to them all being on the same platform may be cross compatibility of parts. Like, for example, slapping some Tundra/Sequoia A-arms on a GX for cheap mid-travel. Or if there is difference in steering racks and tie rods, it might swap over.

SpeyRod

I need to see this in-person, but I’m liking the GX more than the LC.
I spoke with our Lexus dealer yesterday. He said to expect them to start showing up Feb-Mar time frame. We have bought a half dozen new cars from him over the last couple years. He said he would call me as soon as they have one in. No discussion of the pricing.

Dougnuts

Saw the Lexus guys all over Moab last week, in GX550s. One of them told me that production starts in December. Assuming made in Japan, your dealer may be right.

SpeyRod

Saw the Lexus guys all over Moab last week, in GX550s. One of them told me that production starts in December. Assuming made in Japan, your dealer may be right.
Nice! The only thing drawing me to the Lexus vs the LC is the engines. My NoBo is @ 5,500 loaded so the extra payload capacity is a selling point.

skrypj

Nice! The only thing drawing me to the Lexus vs the LC is the engines. My NoBo is @ 5,500 loaded so the extra payload capacity is a selling point.

If you are towing then the TTV6 is definitely the way to over the 2.4L Hybrid. While the 2.4L probably pulls well, the hybrid isnt capable of supplying sustained torque for long duration on the highway. If you got into a stout headwind or something where you need continuous high horsepower output, the TTV6 is just going to do this better.

I have had times with my F150 Ecoboost where I was using close to 200hp non-stop during a tow due to headwinds. The TTV6 can make 200hp at 2200 rpm, the 2.4L cant.

nickw

Adventurer
If you are towing then the TTV6 is definitely the way to over the 2.4L Hybrid. While the 2.4L probably pulls well, the hybrid isnt capable of supplying sustained torque for long duration on the highway. If you got into a stout headwind or something where you need continuous high horsepower output, the TTV6 is just going to do this better.

I have had times with my F150 Ecoboost where I was using close to 200hp non-stop during a tow due to headwinds. The TTV6 can make 200hp at 2200 rpm, the 2.4L cant.
I agree in general bigger is better towing, but the 2.3L EB I had in my Ranger was a really great engine - pulled our 20' Airstream (~5000ish) zero issues. That LC 2.4L may not be able to make 200 hp and 2200, it will just settle where it needs to RPM wise to make the required HP and don't see that being an issue, personally.

To me it's more about engine stress long term - if towing often bigger engines generally make more sense since they are less stressed and easier to deal with, short term, niche use cases wouldn't necessarily sway me one direction or another.

May be a dumb question - does the hybrid supply power at any speed / RPM? I honestly don't or didn't know the elec motors were being utilized at higher speeds and/or if they are HP demand based vs speed based.

skrypj

I agree in general bigger is better towing, but the 2.3L EB I had in my Ranger was a really great engine - pulled our 20' Airstream (~5000ish) zero issues. That LC 2.4L may not be able to make 200 hp and 2200, it will just settle where it needs to RPM wise to make the required HP and don't see that being an issue, personally.

To me it's more about engine stress long term - if towing often bigger engines generally make more sense since they are less stressed and easier to deal with, short term, niche use cases wouldn't necessarily sway me one direction or another.

May be a dumb question - does the hybrid supply power at any speed / RPM? I honestly don't or didn't know the elec motors were being utilized at higher speeds and/or if they are HP demand based vs speed based.

If I'm pulling long distances I don’t want the engine unnecessarily spinning higher than it needs to. I pull my trailer with my GX460 and it spends almost all of its time in 4th spinning 2800+ rpm and its just not as pleasant as towing the same trailer with my F150 Ecoboost at 1900 rpm. Especially if im already having to contend with high winds and the stress that brings.

Also I suspect an Airsteam is a lot easier to tow than a normal travel trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior