2024 Lexus GX

CanyonLX

This would be 4 Runner sized. Little bigger than the current GX from what I've read so far.

GX460 was the replacement for the GX470.

100 series Cruiser would be a LX470 in a Lexus.

200 series Cruiser would be a LX570

LX = Full Sized Land Cruiser.

Think of it this way GX LX = size and the number designates the engine. 470 + 4.7 V8, 570 + 5.7 L8...

This is spot on.

ChasingOurTrunks

The Lexus GX460, Land Cruiser Prado, and 4Runner were all built on the same platform and all built in the same factory in Japan.

The Lexus LX600, Toyota Land Cruiser 300 series, 2024 Lexus GX, 2024 NA Land Cruiser, Prado, Tundra, and Sequoia are all built on slightly dimensionally different TNGA-F platform which is stretched to accommodate differences in the specific vehicle requirements e.g. the much longer wheelbase required for a Tundra.

The current speculation is that with the new 2024 Tacoma as well as Grand Highlander and Lexus TX (unibody crossover) going into production in the US, the 4Runner production will remain in Japan. 4Runner is also largely assumed to be the lowest of priority in terms of updating and/or release date.

Dimensionally there is only about 2 or 3 inches separating the GX from the full fat 300 series based LX in width and length which has led some to question whether the LX600 will remain viable in the US market or go the way of the 200 series Land Cruiser. So, I think you would be fine space wise in the new GX. It is longer than a Grenadier and while I don't have the specs off hand, should be similar in terms of cargo volume. Certainly more than the 4 door JK you used to have.

Regarding 4Runner vs future NA Land Cruiser having the same underpinnings, the 4Runner, if it ever gets updated, is speculated to have the 4 cylinder turbo and rest of the drivetrain of the newly released Tacoma and not the twin turbo V6 torque monster of the GX. The NA Land Cruiser is expected to slot above the 4Runner and may have the V6 available.

I certainly eagerly await the specs when they become available. I don't really eagerly await the pricing though.

Thanks Will that is super informative. I did not realize the 4-runner was built in Japan.

I now have the resources to go find out what the main differences are between the Prado and the 4-Runner; if the new 4R has a similar level of quality and components as the Prado rigs that bear the Land Cruiser name, it is a compelling option for us for our next rig as they seem to have lots of space in them - they used to be tiny rigs, but now they are officially mid-sized with the current gen in my opinion. Even if the motor isn't as rock solid, that's not a bad compromise if the rest of it is in the ballpark of the LC's legendary quality. I know lots of people smarter than me have sworn by the 4 runner for years, and perhaps this is the reason, but even if I'm a slow learner, I'm still learning :D

BuckinghamBuilt

Finally, a Lexus without that huge grill. I really like the design but I suspect a trail edition is going to be in high $70k to mid $80k for pricing since it holds the Lexus badge. I keep my eyes out for any new Toyota Sequoia TRD Pro's and those run $79K without dealer markups plus Toyota still can't produce cars like they did pre-pandemic.

I'll be interested in payload, towing capacity, and overall ground clearance.

utherjorge

Observer
There are some truly spectacularly incorrect things being posted here in many ways. Most places online are so far very impressed with the new GX, though you have a few dunce comments here and there from (insert garbage auto manufacturer here) fanbois.

As evidence of the enlightened/smarter commentariat here, at least the comments here hide behind better vocabulary. In nearly every manageable way, this is a homerun and will sell like bananas. The one true worry is that the pricing isn't out yet...but plenty of good dealers are out there already willing to sell at MSRP. So, only the rubes will be paying an overage.

Timroo

There are some truly spectacularly incorrect things being posted here in many ways. Most places online are so far very impressed with the new GX, though you have a few dunce comments here and there from (insert garbage auto manufacturer here) fanbois.

As evidence of the enlightened/smarter commentariat here, at least the comments here hide behind better vocabulary. In nearly every manageable way, this is a homerun and will sell like bananas. The one true worry is that the pricing isn't out yet...but plenty of good dealers are out there already willing to sell at MSRP. So, only the rubes will be paying an overage.
I agree about the msrp. Post Covid the Toyota dealership near me was marking up everything ridiculous amounts, yet the Lexus dealership across the parking lot was selling right at msrp… not saying this will be cheap at all, but I’m hoping it isn’t insanely expensive. Love my wife’s GX, so I’ll be watching this closely.

SkiWill

Thanks Will that is super informative. I did not realize the 4-runner was built in Japan.

I now have the resources to go find out what the main differences are between the Prado and the 4-Runner; if the new 4R has a similar level of quality and components as the Prado rigs that bear the Land Cruiser name, it is a compelling option for us for our next rig as they seem to have lots of space in them - they used to be tiny rigs, but now they are officially mid-sized with the current gen in my opinion. Even if the motor isn't as rock solid, that's not a bad compromise if the rest of it is in the ballpark of the LC's legendary quality. I know lots of people smarter than me have sworn by the 4 runner for years, and perhaps this is the reason, but even if I'm a slow learner, I'm still learning :D

I think the 4Runner being built in Japan is a huge plus, and I do think that has a big part of its overall quality. Having walked through some other Japanese conglomerate's factories in Japan, there's a different ethic to building there that I do think contributes to higher quality than some of the NA produced Toyota products.

The current generation 4Runner is not suited to towing what I tow over high elevation passes and I find the seats to be uncomfortable. Some find them fine, others don't. I'm in the don't category. I'm hoping the GX and 2024 NA Land Cruiser improve the seats relative to my preferences anyway. The GX certainly meets my towing needs and hopefully the Land Cruiser will as well if it's also available with the twin turbo V6.

Regardless, it's an exciting offering from Lexus. I can't say I'd need much other than a winch and some upfront animal protection. The 265/70R18 tires offer a very wide variety of whatever tires you could want in 33 in size. I don't need any more than that.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Jumping over from the LC Forum, wanted to see what the discussion looked like here.

Based on what I have seen the 2024 GX is potentially on my 5-year plan. Current 100 may go to the kids when they start driving in about 5 years. That'll give Lexus and the market 5 years to settle before I look for a used one ;)

I agree with the earlier comments about the lines being blurred now from what they used to be with respect to the frame and differences between the LC and GX/Prado/4R/Taco. Now all essentially on a scaled version of the same platform, don't really care and doesn't really matter IMO.

The fact that this new GX is here, is good news in my book. I was starting to look at the Grenadier prior to this news. Skeptical on whatever the new LC may be...

SkiWill

I agree with the earlier comments about the lines being blurred now from what they used to be with respect to the frame and differences between the LC and GX/Prado/4R/Taco. Now all essentially on a scaled version of the same platform, don't really care and doesn't really matter IMO.
Agree. They could call it the Toyolexadierover Janitor's Cart for all I care. As long as it's well built, priced right, I can get it serviced and it fit my needs, I'll buy it. And the Lexus GX certainly has the potential to fit the bill, pending pricing and full specs of course.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Quite liking this. It's the 1st Lexus I've liked the looks of in a long time.

I wonder if the upcoming North American Land Cruiser will be based off this?

Thoughts?

View attachment 782226

Word on the street the US LC will loose a few off road aspects that makes the 2023 and 2024 GX more capable

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior