New Sportsmobile on Order

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Nice, I like the idea of having front AND rear winches. I wish I had my front bumper on my F350 made to take a winch many years ago, adding it now (later) is always more, at the time I just had a received hitch put in the front of the bumper.

I understand your reasoning for no rear locker. As you know a straight axle is better/needs a locker less, and having a limited-slip all the time is really nice... I wish more rigs had both limited slips and rear lockers (my car kind-of does with A-TRAC). It's easy for me to spend your money, but I would encourage you to reconsider rear locker, especially since you hare having a custom axle built instead of using the factory Ford axle. I think you will push that truck in some locations/situations [which I fully support :) ] and will like to have it locked front and rear. Or because it's longer, will want to turn the front axle hard but need a locker for the traction.

Having said the above, I have wheeled my '96 F350 in Moab a few times with nothing more than a rear limited slip and have done very well. But if I was building/modifying a new truck... :elkgrin:

JL

the front locker is a definite. The rear will be limited slip, this way when im in two wheel drive i get power to two wheels when needed. the word on the street is that this system on the sportsmobile works so well the rear locker is not that necessary. so ill try it out and if any problems its not that big a deal to put an ARB in the rear later.

Rear winch is just to compliment front winch. I was on the fence on this one, i dont think i really need it. extra weight/money and space, but id really like to get anymajor wiring all done at the factory. so rather then add it later if i regret not having, i figured id just put it in now.

dzzz

Nice, I like the idea of having front AND rear winches. I wish I had my front bumper on my F350 made to take a winch many years ago, adding it now (later) is always more, at the time I just had a received hitch put in the front of the bumper.

I understand your reasoning for no rear locker. As you know a straight axle is better/needs a locker less, and having a limited-slip all the time is really nice... I wish more rigs had both limited slips and rear lockers

The 2011 F350 srw comes with a rear locker standard and limited slip as a minor add-on. Usually there's an air locker that will fit the front axle.

Back to the SMB, the Espar should be great, but will you still need to carry propane?

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
The 2011 F350 srw comes with a rear locker standard and limited slip as a minor add-on. Usually there's an air locker that will fit the front axle.

Cool, but I'm not buying a new F350.

This is James' Sportsmobile thread :sombrero:

Trail Monkey

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0014
Yes ill have the onboard rail mounted propane option for my stove and bbq.

im checking out the ring and pinion ratio in that dynatrac.

durango_60

Explorer
Fantastic plan, I can't wait to see the results. Yet another vehicle to add to my "try to buy this when the expo owner gets fickle" list.

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I know my rig is coming with 4.11's gears and I am pretty sure that is what they put in all the 4wd's unless you really push for something else.

I agree with James (Trail Monkey) that they rear limited slip works really well. After talking with Alan who has wheeled Moab many times and lots of other SMB owners on their forum I figured I could do without the rear locker....and it can alway be added later.

Since the rig is getting a propane tank you should get a portable fire pit like mine..
index.5.jpg

http://www.thefiredancer.net/

Everyone laughs at first but with no smoke in your eyes, it weighs nothing at all, you get a fire in the morning then it is cool in 5min to pack up and you can use it even with fire restrictions since it is propane/off ground/no sparks.

Just a thought...hey you will have the room and gvw :)

I will be out at SMB West next thursday to finish up the Disabled Explorers rig for SEMA...so watch for updated pics on yours.

Trail Monkey

Fantastic plan, I can't wait to see the results. Yet another vehicle to add to my "try to buy this when the expo owner gets fickle" list.

i have two other vehicles availabe right now for your list. what are you waiting for???

04 Tacoma
05 LJ

Chris

Adventurer
As long as you are taking the plunge, getting it locked front and rear is a great compliment to the full floating rear axle you will have. Even if you don’t use it much it's there when you do.

X2 on Relines' idea of locked rear and opening the front in tight areas, this happens more often than not. And Yep you probably will want to push it in some locations :Wow1: locked front and rear put a smile of my face :ylsmoke:

My first thought while spending your money was to pre wire the rear winch only and move the savings to the rear locker.

I'll get you that picture of the Aux Engels frig, thought I had one already.....NOT!.....so I'll throw in snap a pic and post this weekend.

Trail Monkey

I could use some help from SMB owners on this one. With building the roof rack from aluminess: what have you guys done for antenna mounts for HAM and CB? any photos?? are you using a clamp mount to a rail, or a bolt on type mount on a custom bracket etc?

thx...

Blackeye

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0008
I could use some help from SMB owners on this one. With building the roof rack from aluminess: what have you guys done for antenna mounts for HAM and CB? any photos?? are you using a clamp mount to a rail, or a bolt on type mount on a custom bracket etc?

thx...

Hey James,

We have an Aluminess rack on ours with several antenna. Aluminess installed some aluminum plate material at either side toward the front so that there would be mounting space for various antenna. You can see some of the antenna in the following:

337505962_Gn4mB-L.jpg

385519737_ZnUTU-L.jpg

493725881_erhBu-L.jpg

You can also check out http://blackeye.smugmug.com/Travel/Rocking-R-Sportsmobile/5514475_J85qK#337501966_4H7XS for more images.

We have a Diamond Antenna NR770HB Dualband VHF/UHF Mobile Antenna (NR770HB) with the Diamond Antenna K9000LRM Motorized Mobile Antenna Mount (K9000LRM) both from http://www.expeditionexchange.com/.

Alomng with some other antenna, we also have a Wilson Satellite Boost antenna and a remote mounted Garmin antenna for the Garmin GPSmap 376c.

Dave at Aluminess can and will accommodate just about anything...just ask him. I hope this helps.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
James,
I will be at SMB West next week and snap some pics of how my 3 antennas are mounted...at least how they are for now.
We kind of went quick on things for SEMA but I am thinking of putting all the antennas on motorized tilt mounts for when I am in overhanging desert scrub & trees.

Trail Monkey

Hey James,

We have an Aluminess rack on ours with several antenna. Aluminess installed some aluminum plate material at either side toward the front so that there would be mounting space for various antenna. You can see some of the antenna in the following:

thanks for the photos. very helpful.. im looking to have my solar panels up front , no satellite on my rig. then thinking a center mounted plate for the antennas, using the motorized mounts..

What are you keeping in that plastic case on the roof??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior