40 Guy builds a 100 Series

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Also, I recently hit 3/10 of my goal... now I gotta' think about a new timing belt and 90k service.

300k-miles-jpg.1338515

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Also, snuck in a quick mod... I finally got around to popping in my PFRAN LED kit for the 100 series. They work REALLY well. I am stoked for using them on our next camp out as they really light things up well. I am hoping to pick up an OEM rear dome light and install it into the rear hatch to throw a little more light over the tailgate area. I'll get some pics up soon.

iPhone pics but the amount of light is awesome over the facotry lights.
img_0042-jpg.1362616

The light is overwhelming, it is awesome! I am considering adding a third dome light onto the rear hatch to light up the tailgate fully when camping or rooting around in the back of the cruiser grabbing kiddo gear, camping gear etc.
img_0043-jpg.1362617

This is one of the most inexpensive, least difficult mods to do that makes a HUGE difference in the amount of usable light at night. What to go PFran!

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
Are you doing anything with that plate you removed to put the cup doohickey in? I've been trying to get my hands on one for a while...

Sentinelist

Adventurer
Great thread! Read the whole thing yesterday. Subscribed and relevant to my interests.

I just landed a galactic gray LX470 and am starting my plans. You're on the same track I'm thinking about down to the 2M radio!

CosmoBlu

New Cruiser
Great Job. Great Detail.

Just joined. Just purchased an 05, and thankfully found a virtual guidebook on how to build it out. Great information, great logic behind the decision making. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
Looks great bud!

Love the way you are bringing it all together...

I have two questions for you.

First: Can I ask what you found best to use on years of caked on brake dust?

Second: When adjusting TBs for front lift after the spacer install on the rear is it a set adjustment or just adjust here and then get out and look at it kind of thing?

NM-Frontier

Explorer
Great build, good write ups and approach to the build. 100s are a great platform, been enjoying all the 100s that have popped up here lately. Yours is just how I would like one set up.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Great thread! Read the whole thing yesterday. Subscribed and relevant to my interests.

I just landed a galactic gray LX470 and am starting my plans. You're on the same track I'm thinking about down to the 2M radio!

Thanks for the nice words.

Just joined. Just purchased an 05, and thankfully found a virtual guidebook on how to build it out. Great information, great logic behind the decision making. Thanks for taking the time to post.

The 05 and 06's are really nice. Take your time and enjoy it as you go. Remember that playing in it should dictate what and when you modify. I'd suggest the following:
  • Base line all your maintenance, fluids, belts and filters.
  • A decent set of tires for dirt.
  • Sliders if you actually get it in the dirt.
  • Then its up to you

Looks great bud!

Love the way you are bringing it all together...

I have two questions for you.

First: Can I ask what you found best to use on years of caked on brake dust?

Second: When adjusting TBs for front lift after the spacer install on the rear is it a set adjustment or just adjust here and then get out and look at it kind of thing?

1. Nothing I tried made any considerable progress on the brake dust. I'm looking into 18"s when I see a set I like from a tundra or similar.

2. It's an adjust as you go kind of thing, as you crank on the adjusting bolt you can raise and or lower at will, each side is independent of the other. I just matched by eye, measurement and made sure I had enough droop to be safe on the road when turning and going over bumps.

Great build, good write ups and approach to the build. 100s are a great platform, been enjoying all the 100s that have popped up here lately. Yours is just how I would like one set up.

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
We had a few nice days of weather during my days off the past two days, so I spent a little time getting back into projects on the 100. First up, I have had the fire extinguisher rolling around in the back of my 100 since the wheeling season and I decided to give it a place to live. I didn't like the idea of having it in the back as there are way too many things to open, move, swing etc to get to it. It didn't fit between the seat and door, but I wanted it out of the way but remain accessible. Onto the tire carrier it went.

I mounted it up with the little mount it came with, now before the safety police come out and start to grill me please know I have had the same fire extinguisher in the same mount screwed onto my roll bar of my 40 for over 17 years...bouncing, wheeling, freeways, no top... no issues, nada, zip, zero... I have confidence this isn't coming free. The pic makes it look like its sitting on the bottom tube but its about 1.5" off the lower tube.

Quick and easy, and now its out of the way and accessible. :bounce:

img_0166-jpg.1374876

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78