80 Series vs. 4th Gen 4Runner. Thoughts?

Moody

Needs to get out more
I have had the 4runner for about a year now, and I have lifted it (885 front/ 896's rear) and just added sliders with the assistance of Willman. An ARB air compressor went under the hood, to be used with an ARB in the future. I also have an ARB ft. bumper sitting in the garage for a not-so-rainy day.

Tires upsized to a 265/70/17.

IBS battery kit on the way from Sierra Expeditions.

Last edited:

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
5" lift, 35" tires, front and rear bumpers, fulll skids and 4Runner is go-anywhere vehicle.

Sure...though it's not a Land Cruiser and never will be. If somebody's questioning their current 80-series like this postee is then I agree with some others...the 100-Series is their best upgrade choice overall. The 100 will exceed the Runner in almost every way including 4-wheeling.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Sure...though it's not a Land Cruiser and never will be. If somebody's questioning their current 80-series ....The 100 will exceed the Runner in almost every way including 4-wheeling.

Unless you don't want a massive truck. My 20 mpg is nice too.

FireGuy

Adventurer
Sure...though it's not a Land Cruiser and never will be. If somebody's questioning their current 80-series like this postee is then I agree with some others...the 100-Series is their best upgrade choice overall. The 100 will exceed the Runner in almost every way including 4-wheeling.

Dude, you have to stop posting nonsense on the internet as if it is fact. How exactly will a 100 exceed a 03 or newer V8 4Runner off-road? Same engine, tranny, and atrac, plus lighter, narrower, and more nimble. Facts are, a v8 runner with 4.88's, dual air lockers, and 33's is every bit as capable as your beloved 100. There is absolutely no advantage offroad in a 100 except maybe perceived comfort while driving. There is no magic button that allows the 100 to effortlessly hover over obstacles. Facts are it is bigger, slower, wider, and heavier.

Your posts about the absolute superiority off-road of the 100 have become legend on the internet. It is one of the best expedition style vehicles in the world. It is not one of the best wheelers. It is a big heavy pig with extremely limited IFS front travel. You have mastered three whole trails that you post the same 20 pictures of over and over. Your posts are almost dangerous in that some will buy a 100 based off your postings thinking they are ready to hang with the Jeeps.

2000UZJ

SE Overlanding Society
Dude, you have to stop posting nonsense on the internet as if it is fact. How exactly will a 100 exceed a 03 or newer V8 4Runner off-road? Same engine, tranny, and atrac, plus lighter, narrower, and more nimble. Facts are, a v8 runner with 4.88's, dual air lockers, and 33's is every bit as capable as your beloved 100. There is absolutely no advantage offroad in a 100 except maybe perceived comfort while driving. There is no magic button that allows the 100 to effortlessly hover over obstacles. Facts are it is bigger, slower, wider, and heavier.

Your posts about the absolute superiority off-road of the 100 have become legend on the internet. It is one of the best expedition style vehicles in the world. It is not one of the best wheelers. It is a big heavy pig with extremely limited IFS front travel. You have mastered three whole trails that you post the same 20 pictures of over and over. Your posts are almost dangerous in that some will buy a 100 based off your postings thinking they are ready to hang with the Jeeps.

I drive a 100, and get pissed off at his posts. A V8 4rnr with f/r lockers and a mild lift (if that) would keep up and or walk a 100. I have not wheeled with a 4rnr and my 100, but have wheeled one alone and they can get the job done fine.

The 100 is great offroad, not the ideal rock rig, to heavy, to wide, can't lift it enough, CONSTANTLY hitting the underside, rear bumper sticks out a mile, 7.5" of front end travel runs out instantly, atrac clunks around and bounces you. Yea, the 100 will get the job done... but many more rigs than can get it done faster without obstacle contact and less fuel.

But yes, 6 cupholders, leather, stereo, hot seats, plush ride... that's what counts for my 95% of my driving time.

2000UZJ

SE Overlanding Society

lol... I'm sure our 100's will "exceed" a LT 4rnr...

"exceed" in what? Fuel consumption? How many groceries we can pack in the back?

John, we all know your 100 is built, we know you like to question every vehicle that does not have uzj100 or 2uz-fe written somewhere on it. But for god sakes, take a Rubicon on 35's and F/R factory lockers for A THIRD of the 100 price and see what happens... I wheel my 100 hard as well, push the limits, yet I still get walked....

18seeds

Explorer
i'm on the search for a 100 series. I would really preffer a 4th or 5th gen 4runner but I barely fit in them. At 6 ft tall my head is about 1 inch from the ceiling. For me it was narrowed down to 1st gen tacomas, 3rd gen 4runners and 98-2000 100 Series. For the price it seems that the 100 series is the way to go for my needs. A few extra bucks gets you a more comfortable ride.

2000UZJ

SE Overlanding Society
i'm on the search for a 100 series. I would really preffer a 4th or 5th gen 4runner but I barely fit in them. At 6 ft tall my head is about 1 inch from the ceiling. For me it was narrowed down to 1st gen tacomas, 3rd gen 4runners and 98-2000 100 Series. For the price it seems that the 100 series is the way to go for my needs. A few extra bucks gets you a more comfortable ride.

I will say this, out of all the 4rnr and tacoma's. I'd wade right through the lot and pick a 100 up. They are far more comfortable on the highway and can haul a good amount of stuff in them and still stay comfy. Mine on the highway (even with KM-2's) is extremely comfortable.

FireGuy

Adventurer
I would still prefer a 100 simply for the comfort, headroom and added passenger capacity. Also, more and more, I am doing more expedition style wheeling where the 100 excels. That said, when the trails get technical, I'd take my 4Runner any day of the week.

Ric

Adventurer
We found a local 04 4Runner with the v8, 66k on the clock, one owner, stellar deal. We bought it, and we have the IS for sale. Hilary loves it. I think it will be great. Now for a little suspension upgrade, and we are done with it.

awesome, Ive got an 04 with the V8, that I bought two years ago, with 40K on the clock, now has just over 100K :smiley_drive:
Im not sure about the wheeling an 80, not here anyways, some of our trails are pretty narrow, but Id love to have an 80, always have loved them.

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
I'm laughing on some of these replies. Won't even argue wheelability, tire sizes, travel, durability, etc.....what I will bring up is now many Runners hang, mangle, and get stuck 24/7 on their low-slung poorly-placed gas tanks. Ground clearance on the driver's side is horriffic. We wasted over an hour two weeks ago while one was stuck, mangled it's undersides and everyone was bored. You want something to wheel that's the size of the Runner...get an H3 and really go.

FireGuy

Adventurer
I'm laughing on some of these replies. Won't even argue wheelability, tire sizes, travel, durability, etc.....what I will bring up is now many Runners hang, mangle, and get stuck 24/7 on their low-slung poorly-placed gas tanks. Ground clearance on the driver's side is horriffic. We wasted over an hour two weeks ago while one was stuck, mangled it's undersides and everyone was bored. You want something to wheel that's the size of the Runner...get an H3 and really go.

Wow. You just recommended a H3 over a 4th Gen 4Runner.

Funny my Budbuilt skids don't get hung up at all, my gas tank just slides right along. You are right, there is only one true 4x4, and it is a 100.

Robert B

Adventurer
I have a 100 Series and before getting the 100, had an 80 Series for 10 years. The 100 is a great high cruiser and good for mild off-roading. It is unstoppable and unflappable in the snow. It rides great and is very quite. The power marginally better than the 80, I get 1 mpg better than I did with the 80, although the brakes are way better.

That said, I kick myself every day for getting rid of my 80 Series. It provides a far better compromise for on- and off-road duty because it's limits off-road are far greater than the 100-Series. I think it also looks better than the 100 Series.

While I've never cross-shopped a 4-Runner and LC, I think you will miss your 80 Series if you got a 4 Runner. As others have suggested, I think it's on-road/off-road compromise is similar to the 100 Series, albeit in a small package. My 80 Series was able go most places that the Pathfinder I had before it went, although it may have been a tight squeeze and it went place I would never dream of taking my 100 Series or my F150.

Keep the 80 Series.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
The IFS vs Solid axle argument is over done. No way an IFS is going to do what a solid setup will do - even with major mods. The question is do you want superior off road ability or on road comfort. Seldom do the two exist on the same rig. My 05 Tacoma and my current 4runner are fine rigs and even with mods are ok off road. They will go a lot of places, they just bounce you around like a cork on a troubled sea whereas an 80 will glide smoothly over the roughest stuff. On road the IFS is nice for streets and their minor imperfections. The 80 is more truck like. To decide between the two is to pick one from two entirely different worlds.

I'd give just about anything to have my 80 back. Most regrettable sale I have ever made.

80 Series:
7%20Apples.jpg

4Runner:
Oranges.jpg

Last edited:

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
... stop posting nonsense on the internet as if it is fact. How exactly will a 100 exceed a 03 or newer V8 4Runner off-road? Same engine, tranny, and atrac, plus lighter, narrower, and more nimble. Facts are, a v8 runner with 4.88's, dual air lockers, and 33's is every bit as capable as your beloved 100.

I hate to side with Shotts, but as Schat so posted they are very different vehicles. The engine and ECU and fuel delivery are different though they share the same block. My understanding is that ATRAC is not nearly the same programming either, a much more lower-range, lower-speed modulation resolution on the Hundy.

The component size on the LC as well as the underside layout including the frame are totally different, and 4Skinners have been known to drag stuff.

This is not necessarily a forum of/for hard-core trails, and I've never "wheeled" with a latter-model 4R, but logic has it the LC design specifications favor a longer-lasting more durable vehicular setup. If you think paying the premium $ for that to do the local hard-core scene, that's subjective.

It is one of the best expedition style vehicles in the world. It is not one of the best wheelers.

:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle