80 Series vs. 4th Gen 4Runner. Thoughts?

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
Wow. You just recommended a H3 over a 4th Gen 4Runner.

Funny my Budbuilt skids don't get hung up at all, my gas tank just slides right along. You are right, there is only one true 4x4, and it is a 100.

ABSOLUTELY...and IF an H3 was a TOYOTA everyone on this forum would agree. :wings:

Are you kidding?

4:1 T-case
More articulation
FAR better approach and departure angles
TRIPLE LOCKERS available from the FACTORY and with warranty
Gearing for 33' from the factory
With lift you fit 35's

The Hummer H3 kicks a Runner's BUTT and BIG TIME.

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
Are we talking "Time in the Shop" or "Resale Value?"

:coffee:

Capability off the highway...........

And you can laugh...but they have been holding up quite well. I'd not own one but to deny it's off-road capabilities is foolish. A 4Runner plays second fiddle and by a margin.

253844003_SXTbX-L.jpg

uzj100

Adventurer
Schotts - I thought Hummer was out of business. ;<)

As far as 100 vs 4th gen 4Runner. 100 is the Heavy duty line of Toyota offroad vehicles. 4th Gen 4Runner is Medium duty. Both are great, just the 100 is more overbuilt and it shows in the weight of the truck.

I have had 80s and now drive a 100. The 100 is the winner for me because, I hate to say it, I spend way more time on the road, based on the fact that live in the middle of NC.

If you are going on more technical trails, then get an 80. If this is your only vehicle and extreme is not your game, get a 100.

The 100 is a better all arounder for me.

(The Team Autobody 100 did win the Paris Dakar 6 more times than the Team Autobody 80, that has to count for something. It was a IFS Turbo Diesel 100 in unmodified class.)

Drive them all and decide.

:rally_guys:

Last edited:

Ric

Adventurer
Wow. You just recommended a H3 over a 4th Gen 4Runner.

Funny my Budbuilt skids don't get hung up at all, my gas tank just slides right along. You are right, there is only one true 4x4, and it is a 100.

I also found that funny.

Bottom line is, you can compair stock vs stock all day long, doesnt matter,,,,

Its the driver that matters, its the driver that counts.

I know great drivers that can wheel anything, anywhere. I know very bad drivers, that if they had the very best built rig, couldnt wheel an 3 rated trail. :smiley_drive:

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
I also found that funny.

Bottom line is, you can compair stock vs stock all day long, doesnt matter,,,,

Its the driver that matters, its the driver that counts.

I know great drivers that can wheel anything, anywhere. I know very bad drivers, that if they had the very best built rig, couldnt wheel an 3 rated trail. :smiley_drive:

Stock to Stock...Mod to Mod...a 4Runner can't touch an H3 and that's with the SAME driver in BOTH seats.

Box Rocket

to the REAL question....4Runner/100Series.....

You'll gain some advantages from either one, depending on your uses. You'll also have some disadvantages from either one, depending on your uses.

these have already been said, but I'll say it again.

4Runner Pros (purely my personal opinion)
More compact size for better maneuverability on more technical, tight trails.
Decent aftermarket support.
reliable drivetrain

4Runner Cons:
Compact size can compromise ability to carry sufficient gear
Less comfort and luxury features than the 100
slightly less robust drivetrain compared the the 100.

100 Series Pros
Large size offers ample room for gear and passengers
Higher payload capacity for that extra gear/passengers
Acceptable aftermarket support
More powerful drivetrain (assuming V6 chosen with 4R)
Excellent fit/finish and comfort level

100 Series Cons
large size can compromise abilities on tight trails
Limited suspension options
Slightly less aftermarket support (but it's improving)
Worse fuel economy than the 4R

Obviously more could be added to those lists. Bottom line is, decide what features are important to you and chose which vehicle has as many of those features with the least amount of compromises (there will ALWAYS be compromises).

Last edited by a moderator:

Ric

Adventurer
Stock to Stock...Mod to Mod...a 4Runner can't touch an H3 and that's with the SAME driver in BOTH seats.

as long as "you" think so, Im beginning to see why people dont like you much, lol
Im done arguing, aruging on the internet is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
as long as "you" think so, Im beginning to see why people dont like you much, lol
Im done arguing, aruging on the internet is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

No need to argue. Just need to wheel with all the different vehicle types. Some folks are so brand-loyal they are blind to the various facts and truths.

Oh, and I have plenty of friends. :victory:

I've led and AZ Hummer Club a few times and the H3's blow my mind. When I go with FJC's and 4Runners I am asleep. Taco's are another thing!

2000UZJ

SE Overlanding Society
ShottsCruisers;864051 Some folks are so brand-loyal they are blind to the various facts and truths. [/QUOTE said:
this may be the one thing I agree on with you...that and lockers are a great thing.

I do agree, there are many other brands that out of the box that walk the 100 in certain areas. The 100 is so overbuilt it's great. I have seen the H3T's do some pretty incredible stuff.

these rigs are built for a purpose. with money anything can out wheel anything. Experience is #1

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
this may be the one thing I agree on with you...that and lockers are a great thing.

I do agree, there are many other brands that out of the box that walk the 100 in certain areas. The 100 is so overbuilt it's great. I have seen the H3T's do some pretty incredible stuff.

these rigs are built for a purpose. with money anything can out wheel anything. Experience is #1

It's really too too bad that Toyota is so conservative that we can't buy a real quality Toyota product yet heve it truly designed for 4-wheeling like the Hummers. You know...small bumpers, triple lockers, heavy duty recovery gear, 4:1 T-case, etc, etc.

Toyota makes a great ride but they are missing so many things for wheeling.

2000UZJ

SE Overlanding Society
It's really too too bad that Toyota is so conservative that we can't buy a real quality Toyota product yet heve it truly designed for 4-wheeling like the Hummers. You know...small bumpers, triple lockers, heavy duty recovery gear, 4:1 T-case, etc, etc.

Toyota makes a great ride but they are missing so many things for wheeling.

well, look at the numbers, most rigs on the rocks are older and bought for something totally different (DD's). I don't think Toyota has any interest in pleasing the 5% of there customers that buy there Toyota's second hand and wheel them. We can wish and wish, but it's not going to happen. Market just is not there to invest millions on factory lockers (although they could very well outsource to ARB/Detroit) so the 5% of the Toyota owners that need lockers and 35's can get there way.

I do wish Toyota would enter the specialty market and make TT packages for the Crusiers, but the Landcruiser (100,200) is not something you would imagine seeing on the trails with a bumper sliding over a rock and a wheel several feet in the air and people screaming in excitement. That is what Jeeps and Hummers are for. Even Range Rover has a factory snorkel for the HSE's.

Toyota needs to get with it, get there **** together and atleast do a bit of work on the new cruiser. they market it as the toughest 4x4 in all other countries, everyone rants about how excellent they are. Then they send the watered down IFS luxo tank to the US. They are fabulous rigs don't get me wrong, but I wish the 100 has a little more "Toyota" offroad support

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
well, look at the numbers, most rigs on the rocks are older and bought for something totally different (DD's). I don't think Toyota has any interest in pleasing the 5% of there customers that buy there Toyota's second hand and wheel them. We can wish and wish, but it's not going to happen. Market just is not there to invest millions on factory lockers (although they could very well outsource to ARB/Detroit) so the 5% of the Toyota owners that need lockers and 35's can get there way.

I do wish Toyota would enter the specialty market and make TT packages for the Crusiers, but the Landcruiser (100,200) is not something you would imagine seeing on the trails with a bumper sliding over a rock and a wheel several feet in the air and people screaming in excitement. That is what Jeeps and Hummers are for. Even Range Rover has a factory snorkel for the HSE's.

Toyota needs to get with it, get there **** together and atleast do a bit of work on the new cruiser. they market it as the toughest 4x4 in all other countries, everyone rants about how excellent they are. Then they send the watered down IFS luxo tank to the US. They are fabulous rigs don't get me wrong, but I wish the 100 has a little more "Toyota" offroad support

You're right...it won't happen. Trouble is...look what it did for Hummer. Sales though the roof. Everybody wants one. Still want them. If they only could have made the FJ Cruiser with the same focus as Hummer did in the H3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78