'94 4 Runner Build/newb thread

austintaco

Explorer
That's a lot of truck for the money. Good find.

Part of your alignment or wobble might be the wheels that were on there. There are many horror stories about aftermarket wheels not balancing on the vehicle. Switching to stock Tacoma/4runner wheels from that era might solve the problem.

For the ARB, there is a guy on TTORA that has a 94 truck/4runner with an ARB that he wants to use on his Tacoma. You might contact him and see if he wants to sell it. I already posted on his thread to say that selling his and buying the correct one for his Tacoma would make more sense. Here is the thread:
http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184528

Caoboy

Adventurer
Thanks austintaco!

As of right now the bumper will have to wait. Next on the list is the LCA bushings, and tomorrow for sure I need to change fluids. IDK who changed the oil last, but it feels like they tightened the cap with a wrench! Maybe its delicate hands though, who knows!

WHEELS ARE ON! I'll put up a picture in a bit. It's awesome though, They ride really well, and the vehicle just feels better.

BLKNBLU

Explorer
I had the same "tight" problem with mine the first time I changed the oil. Maybe it's something about the design of the 3.0 My old 22re was always easy/normal to rermove.

Anyway, I just sold a '90 that I was thinking about building up but decided to look for a 3rd gen instead. I have a few parts that may be of interest to you which I will PM you about so as to keep your thread clean. If you haven't already found it, here is a very useful FSM for a '93 which I have been able to use for 99% of all my '86 22re and '90 3vz needs. The layout makes it particularly easy to use as you don't have to scroll through the entire manual.

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/

I saw your inquiry about auto hubs in another thread. Don't worry about yours. They are fine, or least #741 on the list of 1000 things to do. I'll look for the info about that and post up.

BLKNBLU

Explorer
OK here we go.

This one talks about the difference between manual hubs, automatic differential disconnect (ADD), and true "auto hubs"
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/autohub/
More about how it works.
http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/tech/the-automatic-disconnecting-differential-system-19259.html
and a couple about how to change it if so desired
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/add/

http://www.yotatech.com/f116/add-manual-hub-conversion-help-198595/index3.html

The hubs on the ADD in and of themselves are plenty strong. How they are activated is, however, a bit more complex and therefore has the potential to be a source of trouble. The reality though, is that few people experience any trouble with them.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Looks like you picked up a really nice Runner there Caoboy! I see now why you were asking about the front hubs on my thread. Glad I found your thread as I learned a lot from BLKNBLU as I assumed my ’92 had Auto locking hubs. Come to find out it has ADD (just like me…LOL)! Somehow I had the wrong idea that ADD debuted on the 3rd Gen 4Runners. Boy would I have been surprised when I popped the front end apart to install my hubs! The PO mentioned that it was slow to engage into 4x4 when it was cold so I figured the auto locking hubs were the culprit. None the less, I am still planning on a locking hub coversion but now it looks like I will be doing an ADD root canal while I am at it. I dislike vacuum disconnects as much as I dislike true auto locking hubs.

The to-do list is pretty short on my ’92 Runner so locking hubs is #4 on my list of things to get done.

Thanks for posting the hub info BLKNBLU! I have a lot to learn in the ways of Toyota's now that I am a member of the Toyota club now. :)

Caoboy

Adventurer
Ok thanks for the info BLKNBLU! That's going to help after my post, you'll see :D

Larry, I'm in the same boat as you, more info on that in a bit.

2/10/2012

Friday. I purchase gear oil for the diffs, DexronII OE Toyota Transmission fluid, oil, brake fluid to bleed the brakes and get a bit of new NOT BLACK fluid in there. Get to my buddy's house as he just went through all this stuff on his 4Runner and said he has the tools and garage ready to go for me. We end up going to Harbor Freight before they close (it's about 5pm) and pick up misc items like wire brushes and a shackle hitch receiver. Free Multimeter and 20% off coupons never hurt either! :D

Get back to the house and realize that the hitch receiver doesn't have the pin! First fail moment.

Onto the maintenance! Start with the important stuff, diff fluids! First we SCRUB the bolts down the wire brushes. This is the first time I'm actually under the truck...and MAN is it fricken dirty! There is grime everywhere. It's a big combination of old spillage and dirt...this truck looks like it's never seen an undercarriage wash, EVER! My plan as I go along will be to scrub the whole underside of the truck, at least drivetrain, so that I'll be able to see any problem. (and boy are there more problems!)

Change the front diff fluid....probably never had that done before, as it comes out a nice dark chocolate color, and is definitely nasty burnt smelling. You know the kind of burnt diff oil smell I'm talking about if you've ever change this! Fill with 2qts in the front. Bolts are back on, we are good to go!

Move back to the transmission. What do I see here? Fresh oil! *Oh it never drips or nothing, I always kept it maintained* Is what the prev owner said to me. Looks like the rear main seal is leaking just a bit, as it doesn't drip, but that explains the mess of what looks like wet grime all over the transmission pan! Speaking of which, I'll need to change out these pan seals so I can clean the crap off of the bolts and make sure the trans seal is good as well as clean the mesh screen filter.

Drop the bolt on that, out comes nasty black fluid, no surprise here. Wait about 15 mins, it's still slowly dribbling out, but I plug it up anyways. I should have taken a baseline dipstick measurement, but I didn't. I'm really paranoid about making sure to put in the same amount of transmission fluid, as I know these autos can be finicky and tend to blow up if you don't put in enough, or too much. I dump 1 qt in, then I fill that empty quart bottle with dirty fluid. I do this with the whole fluid that I took out, so I can put in exactly the same amount. Works for me, and the fluid shows up on the dipstick as good to go. Drained about 3.8qts of fluid. We get dinner at this time from a friend. In-n-Out! Break for a few to eat.

Hop back under the truck, and we were kind of confused as to where we drain/fill the transfer case. I didn't have enough fluid (should have purchased 6, but only purchased 5) anyways, so I'll do that in a bit there.

Also, we noticed in the FSM and under the truck, the transmission has 2 drain bolts? We were kind of confused at this. Do we drain both bolts, and just fill with one? At first I thought this was the transfer case drain bolt, but it ended up not being that. Seeing as how the fluid all has to mix, and there's only 1 dipstick where you fill, the new fluid should eventually mix into both reservoirs. I'll find out if it doesn't and the trans blows up! (5spd manual swap? :D )

We move back to the rear diff, notice that somebody has at least changed that before, as the fill bolt is stripped from somebody trying to loosen it. We shoot it all around with some WD40 and let it sit, and we move on to bleeding the brakes. Bleed those, a LOT of air is coming out. It just keeps coming and coming! I think we need to bleed them again just to make sure. Plenty of sediment too, so it's always good to keep bleeding them and getting that fluid changed to new. We break the rear drums loose and clean out the brakes...so much crud in there! We also bend back the drum cover which was causing a 'whisk whisk whisk' sound while driving. I swear there were black widow nests between the cover and the drum! More evidence this vehicle sat for a LONG time....bleh...

Go back to the fill bolt on the rear diff and attempt to loosen. It just starts to strip more. Good thing I decided to make sure that we can fill it before we drain it! I'll need to hop down to Toyota and see if they have any bolts in stock so I can have a shop break it loose (weld a bolt onto it and break it loose that way ) So I can replace that and the fluid.

Also we noticed that they put some old school spring coil spacers in the rear to make sure it doesn't compress too much when towing? Those will be coming out when I get to the new shocks/springs.

By this time it's about 11PM. Yeah we took our time, but we didn't want to rush anything either :D

We go to start the truck, and my friend is freaking out because it's making a squealing noise. Shut the truck down, pinpoint the problem to a guess of a squeaking power steering belt/pulley. Get some spray lube for belts, pop the cap, and it falls down between the header and chassis, right under the EGR valve. I reach down, touch the EGR valve wire harness, and the connector breaks off from the harness! FML. We try to re solder it, but the whole clip pulled out/broke...REALLY brittle. I'll go swipe one from a junk yard... Luckily it's the sensor side, so I don't have to deal with a janky rigged harness after this. Fail moment 2.

We shoot some lube on the pulley, solved that noise!

Also threw in new air filter.

It was late, didn't have time to change the oil, I had looked at it when I purchased the truck, it was pretty fresh. I wasn't bothered with it until I started noticing all the issues I've seen with, and want to get a baseline fluid change done, that way I know what's been done when. I'll change that later on today after I run to the store.

Get in the truck, do the whole PRND2L and back and forth a few times, as well as the transfer case (even though we didn't swap that fluid LOL) Pull outta the garage, drive it up and down a bit, check the fluids, we are good to go.

Adjust the headlights, that was a big difference! Now I think they are aimed too high. I'll need to take a look at the FSM and adjust the properly...the light first splashes down about 20ft in front of the truck.

Caoboy

Adventurer
2/11/2012

SHAKEDOWN RUN!

WOOHOO!!!!!

I've been waiting for this day, and my wifey has been mad at me this whole time, because I've been purchasing/playing with the vehicle and not paying attention to her. You know how it is! Pick your battles, right?

Load up the truck ( and MAN do I need to change the shocks/springs!) and get going to rendezvous with our convoy!

Meet at the local Shell gas station. Dump a bottle of Lucas Oil Fuel Injector cleaner into the tank. Fill up, $49.80! Not bad, I'm sure on an empty tank it's about $60, I had about 1/4 tank left.

My little bro offers to buy some munchies for the trip, I'm not going to complain! Donettes breakfast and beef jerky, doritos and something else I forgot for later. Survival food!

So far the rigs in the convoy are 2 2nd gen 4Runners, and one LC100. There was supposed to be a 3rd gen 4Runner as well, but he got scared at the last minute and decided to just ride in the LC.

We head out and encounter a bit of rain (sprinkles?) driving up HWY 4 West. Good thing I change those wiper blades! Rendezvous at the 49/4 JCT with a buddy in a 2wd Frontier. Top off at the Shell station up there, and keep driving. End up going throw a very low cloud, looks like nasty fog! We were definitely in the Sierra's now!

6863781319_41e0f9533d_z.jpg

6864308303_9bd01a0549_z.jpg

6864732141_e3aa8e5903_z.jpg

Find our turnoff, and take it. I start filming with my AWESOME Nexus and new mount I bought for it. It's a maintained road, but the washes and whatnot in it make us very aware that the shocks definitely need to be changed, and probably the tired rear coils too. 20 minutes on the road and we end up to our first destination!

Candy Rock

We've been doing recon, trying to find more places to camp/fish/shoot. This is an interesting place. We 'climb' down what seems like a 85* descent down to the river. Nothing but granite boulders all over! I take some AWESOME panoramic shots of the area. The waters are clear (where it wasn't rushing) and the place just looks pretty cool. We find some salamander/newt creatures and take some photos of them. Lot's of photos! One is out of the pool of water they were in, and it just flips out! It does the craziest thing, it stands on it's hind legs, front legs spread wide, looks like it's praying, then kisses it's own ***!! ****** Right? It just did this the whole time, until we left. More cool pictures of that!

We were exploring for about 20 minutes around the area, then we decide to head back. Recon done! Good spot for a swim, day trip, bbqing. Just that, nowhere local to camp that we know of, yet.

I'm getting across the rocks and water, when all of a sudden my knife falls outta my pocket. I had taken it out for some reason, and ended up putting it back into my pocket. I thought it was clipped. Guess not! There goes the knife, right into a rushing water area, no way I can get to it, or even see it. RIP CRKT Hissatsu! I think I had jumped from one rock to another, and upon landing, the squat pushed the knife since it was barely clipped.

Next we were getting across another area, and all of a sudden my phone drops! FML!!!! I didn't even get a change to see it fall, my buddy just goes "YOUR PHONE!" and I see it sliding into the rushing water....bye bye 3 month old, $750 totally awesome Samsung Nexus...no insurance, never put it on. Lesson learned. Pay for the $8/month insurance...Sad thing was, this thing was in a holster, clipped to my belt. IDK how it happened, as I was crouching to get down a steep rock. I guess it just was fate. Actually, it was because I had my Glock holstered where I usually have my phone holstered. My phone was not in it's usual spot, so I wasn't used to it there. It wasn't supposed to be there, it should have been holstered/clipped into my cargo pocket, where I wouldn't have pressed against it with my thigh/oblique. Lesson learned? LEAVE YOUR PHONE. Especially with no insurance on it. I should have left it in the vehicle, but I hate leaving valuables in the vehicle when we are in an area we don't know, and who knows who could come out and burgle the trucks while we are gone?!

There goes 2 things. I'm lucky I didn't lose my Glock either, or else I would have just decided to go swimming after all 3 of them!! Ah well, I didn't lose my life, phones and knives can be replaced. People were like "oh go look for it, see if you can get it out of the water." WHY? It's gone, the phone is dead, and it's too dangerous in the area we were crossing to be looking for the phone. Not like it'd save anything, why bother?

So we finish heading back. Ascend the 85* slope, that was a nice workout. High Knees pays off here! Everybody who doesn't normally workout was complaining/breaking every few steps. WEAK! Push through! Glad I've been biking! It really paid off here!

Then we head out to another spot our buddy in the 2wd frontier knows. It's above 5000ft elevation, and we encounter snow. Yay! Get to put the 4WD to work now! SOOO excited! We go through some stuff, Land Cruiser in the lead. He's full time 4WD so he walks right through it. His only mod is Yokohama HT/S tires, all stock after that. He blows through the trail like nothing. My other buddies do it in 2WD, they have M/S tires on their trucks. My truck goes through the stuff, it's not a big deal. A little slippin, but nothing serious. No need for the 4WD yet. Then we head to a clearing, where it's nothing BUT snow. My buddy with his 4Runner attempts to just go through in 2WD. It makes it up the road in 2wd, but at the clearing it's ALL snow, and a bit deeper than in the road, so he can't get anywhere. Throws it into 4WD and makes it around and outta the way for the rest of us. I try in my truck. I only have the stock Bridgestone Dueller HT's on my truck. It goes through a bit, but the tread gets filled up with ice/mud real quick. Here's where the fun begins.

(My bro 'rig surfing')

6863735903_ba0f05b4e3_z.jpg

6863861543_a4d383f47e_z.jpg

I start spinning the wheels/sliding. Stop. Reverse. Try again, same ending. Reverse. Get momentum, get farther, get more stuck. NOW I try putting it into 4WD. Put it into park, Throw into 4H. Reverse. Nothing. Put into 4L, nothing. My buddies push a bit, truck unsticks and goes back. I try again, this time going in 4WD. It just drives like stock 2H ******?!

(Stuck in 2H...)

6863911821_a1b68ee47e_z.jpg

(Trying to just barrel up in 2H, yes this is actually going UPHILL)

6863953833_8b8b3e97cb_z.jpg

My friends are like "you are in 4wd right?" YES I AM? Did you put it in park or N? I put it in park. Try N? It probably didn't engage! OK. Try that. Still nothing. Wait. We hear relays clicking, so we know something is happening!

Other 4Runner guy asks "Is your 4WD light coming on?" there's a light? Who knows if that is out, or if it's not actually engaging. FML.

We back up the truck. Turn it off. Turn on, move to N, 4WD H/L. No light, all we know is that relays are clicking. I just back the truck to the side of the road out of the snow and start looking around under the truck to see if anything is loose or broken.

(Literally a quick push and gassing it got out of this...but without the push it wasn't going ANYWHERE)

6864094255_6953514d9c_z.jpg

Spin the front drive shaft. That is working!

Have my buddy get into the truck. Back it up, move forward. 2H, front shaft is not moving. OK.
Reverse, forward, 4H/L, front shaft is engaging and spinning. OK

So I've deduced that the hubs are not engaging? I'll need to look into (thank you BLKNBLU for the links) how to fix the hubs, or possibly something else (the vacuum canisters and other components to the 4WD?) that are probably broken.

We figure there is nothing else to do now, so onto shooting! Set up targets, have at it for a while. LC guy just drives around in the snow, ladeeda oh look my 4wd/center/rear diff locks are so awesome blah blah blah. We tell him to go fire up the grille and make lunch.

Get back down to the area to eat lunch. "You should get a Land Cruiser, 4wd always works in it!" Yea? Even if I dumped in 9k to equal the price he paid (12k) for his LC, I'd have a more capable truck than his! (no offense LC owners! :D )

We explore some more, I throw the truck into 4wd Just in case it might actually start working as we are in a snowy area (all on fireroads no street driving) And IDK if it was just me, but it felt like it was engaged as long as we were moving, I never got a chance to test it out, and as this is my first 4wd vehicle, I really don't know what I'm looking for. I'm going to try driving it on the road, in the court, really slow in both 2H/4H/4L and see if I can feel a difference. Only other thing I know I can do is go down to a buddy's shop, put it on a lift, and see if the wheels will all turn if it's in the air lol.

Luckily, it's not something major, and doesn't affect the daily driving of the vehicle. So I'm not stranded, and I can take my time and repair/replace whatever needs to be fixed.

Overall, except for the exhaust leak or valves ticking (probably both) and a funny noise I'm hearing from the center console/ transmission area when the truck hits about 4k RPM, and the loose gas pedal (there's play in it, I'm thinking it needs to be tightened up, I don't think I'm getting 100% WOT so that's another reason why the truck feels so slow) The truck is actually proving to be awesome.

I mean if this thing can take the neglect the prev owners have been doing to it, then with a little love and TLC this thing is going to get back to the awesome vehicle it's known for being!!!

Unless the engine blows up on me now.

*cliff notes: Lost knife, lost phone, lost 4WD? recon, shooting, snow, fun shakedown run, made it home alive, and truck is pretty decent for the neglect it's been given! *

Last edited:

Caoboy

Adventurer
02/12/2012

Today I changed all the (as far as I know) burned out bulbs. I think I need to get the glove box bulbs still. I'm at least legal with all brake lights, license plate lights, and sidemarkers working!

Pulled the radio, lovely jammed-in installation done by whomever. Plenty of dirt behind the console, and the radio is caked in dirt too. ****** was the previous owner doing? Since he told me he was the one who had it installed, I know that HE is the one who let this sit, or be submerged in silt, or something just totally neglecting the truck. Maybe he used it as a dairy truck for a long time? Who knows. I'm bringing this baby back to her prime!

I also have pictures from a friend of our trip. I'll be posting those later.

Never did get around to the oil change...I'll do that right after work tomorrow, and probably re-install the radio properly. Did I mention they used a dremel to shave the OEM trim? IDK why they even did that. A trip to the junk yard is definitely in order!

That was one good dissertation. Great you had a good time and I'm sure all of us in here would like to see pictures :)
Sorry for your loss, hate when it happens - every time.

I'll guess your problem with the 4x4 is the ADD vaccumvalve.

Caoboy

Adventurer
Sorry, I like to be expressive when I write. Let's just say I've never been able to summarize. :D

And yeah, after doing more research, I'm going to check out all the VSV's and lines and see if anything funky is going on there. It will be great if it's a quick fix, and not another $300 fix! :smiley_drive:

Caoboy

Adventurer
Today it was raining, so I decided to work inside the truck.

Interior is stripped out, not left except for the dash, steering wheel, and door panels. I'm going to start cleaning everything tomorrow. Everything needs to be cleaned! I've never seen such a dirty vehicle...

Whatever gummy foam insulation that is under the carpet is coming out as well, it all ripped off and crumbled as I was pulling out the carpet.

Once I get my phone back I can take/upload more pictures of the progress lol...

BLKNBLU

Explorer
Where was that broken part located? Under the hood? On the front axle/diff/actuator thingy? I poked around a bunch of sites and couldn't really come up with the part you have described. Typically though Toyota calls those things vaccum switching valves or VSVs. Re read the link I gave you from Off Road dot com for trouble shooting the ADD system. I think you're on the right track that you are not getting vaccum or a signal to something.

Off Road link
http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/tech/the-automatic-disconnecting-differential-system-19259.html

Caoboy

Adventurer
It's a vacuum port located on the intake manifold. 3 ports...I'm wondering if I can just make my own version with some fittings, or if I can tee the vacuum lines off the one good port, and plug the other 2.

Thanks for those links, they have been life savers...The ADD system really isn't that difficult to look through, a couple of vacuum lines, some solenoids, and that's about it. I may end up just running a vacuum line to the passengerside and calling it a day though. I think that's what one site said was the quickest fix, least amount of problems. Or I could fix it with a solid axle conversion. (i kidd :D )

Also I fixed the janky window issue. The guy said "It's a wiring issue maybe, idk what's wrong with it but the switch doesn't always work"

What was wrong with it? Perhaps its the soda which was spilled all over the shifter area?

Here is the window switch:
6980910915_c7d4331c1b.jpg

Take it apart, looks like this :

6980912217_e6e9914537.jpg

Clean this area, as you can see it has all kinds of gunk in it...it was sticking/not contacting...depends on how it feels. Clean the contacts, as well as the metal contact that the switch pushes. Once those are nice and shiny, it's good to go.

6834785844_812b058038.jpg

Put it back together in reverse order, and it's good to go.

Make sure to twist out the bulb first, i think that was giving me a little issue. It's pretty simple.

Last edited:

BLKNBLU

Explorer
Ah. Try this one. The one listed as 23265. Looks like one of the three gets a plug.
http://www.villagetoyotaparts.com/s...imLevel=13941&ukey_modelRange=0&searchString=

However in that case I'm less certain of it being your 4wd engagement solution. Can't hurt to fix it anyway though.

You kid about a straight axle but someone elses straight axle could be your answer too. Pick up a non ADD front diff, axle tube, and manual lockouts on the cheap from someone doing a swap and just ditch the whole ADD mess. Good luck and hang in there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior