'94 4 Runner Build/newb thread

RobD

I notice the 3RZ swap was mentioned. I'd recommend the 3.4 as stated in your original post. It is an easier swap if you're going to the 5 speed. Bolts straight up with no modifications to the motor mounts or tranny.

I've been running mine for over 4 years now, with zero issues and zero regrets. The 3.4 is a far superior engine. Well worth the time and effort.

Caoboy

Adventurer
Ah thanks for the info. That's one of the concerns I was looking at, i'd have to buy custom mounts and wasn't sure on where to get those yet. A buddy of mine was looking at TOS to do the swap for him. I believe he said they'd do it for around 4k. IDK if that was the labor only or if that was an OTD price. From where we are, it'd only be 400 to ship the rig to them.

Did you do the swap yourself or have someone else do it?

Caoboy

Adventurer
I tested the O2 Sensors today. Rear one in the FSM stated to just test the Ohm's and if it passes that test leave it be. It passed that test. The front one needs to be changed. It passed the Ohm reading. It seems like it failed the voltage feedback reading. At first it was good to go, pulled the jumper wire and tested like how the FSM stated, and it was good to go, then tested again, and it failed. I'm fairly certain it's throwing the code 25. I ordered a replacement Denso sensor from Rock Auto, and I'm going to shoot over to Napa to get a fuel filter. Hopefully that fixes the CEL, so I can stop fixing, and start modding! :D

Caoboy

Adventurer
Minor updates, front speakers were blown, dipped by a swap meet and picked up some replacement pioneers for 12 bucks. Of course they don't fit, even though they were the same size speakers, but a little fiddling with one screw, then angling the other screw into the original hole worked.

Also found out I should have 4.56 gears, as I have code G254 on the door jamb.

Picked up some 4Runner 16" rims too, and I'm planning on putting 235/85/16 tires on that. I'm leaning mostly towards Yokohama Geolander AT/S, as I mostly drive pavement to get to the dirt..Other runners are General Grabber AT2's and BFG AT's, depending on the price, they are pretty close to each other.

Caoboy

Adventurer
Ordered my lift!!!

PRO COMP HERE WE COME!!!! :D

JUST KIDDING.

I NEED new shocks, and a steering stabilizer, BAD.

4 Wheel Parts has a promotion, buy 3 pro comp shocks, get 1 free. I was going to go with Rancho, for a 'just for now' replacement set of shocks. The guy at the counter made sense though. They both outsource their shocks, and are both 'generic' in valving. Even their part numbers are very similar. They aren't like OME where they test and test and test to get the most out of each setup for each application.

I did buy an OME steering stabilizer. Ordered everything today, and they told me it'd be here tomorrow. So, 4 new shocks, 4 dustboots, and an OME steering stabilizer. Total came out to $228 after tax.

I was about to pull the trigger on an OME lift from Cruiser Outfitters (Sorry Kurt, I really wanted to call today and order) but with my luck, the transmission is acting a little funny. Me thinks it's time for a full flush, rather than another drain and fill, and go from there. It's starting to slip a little bit when downshifting or turning off overdrive. It was only doing it after a day at the lake, and on the drive back. It felt like the transmission tunnel was getting hot too. I figure I'll do the cheapest thing first, before I either have somebody tear into the transmission, or find a good reconditioned unit.

I installed a CB radio for now as well. Cobra 19 or 18, fit perfectly in the ashtray area. Bought a K30 Mag mount, but I'm not happy with the way it is. I still need to play around with the placement of the antenna for the best signal, But I'm really wanting to go for a giant 102" whip, for a 4' Firestick. From what I've read though, those are on opposite ends of the spectrum, Firestick getting a bad rap compared to a long whip.

Other than that, the rig has served me well enough!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior