97 40th Anniv. Locked Mall Rig "What next?"

rgsiii

Observer
I would get all of the mechanical things looked after first. Get all of the hoses, fluids and belts changed. Do all of the tune up sort of things. It will give you an idea of what the vehicle is like and how it feels. I would get some device like a scangauge. See what sort of temperatures the vehicle is running up high passes. Moving from sea level, I was shocked at the temps.

I have a pair of 80's and sometimes I regret doing some of the mods. The basic 80 is pretty capable.

I do like my 40th.

Forgot to mention about doing the birfields unless you know when they were done and see no signs of problems.

Last edited:

JohnnyS

Explorer
After the PM & you get all the cool stuff from Paul....
-ARB front bumper with 12000 lb Warn
-Hannah sliders and rear swingout bumper
-OME 850 front springs OME 864 rear springs and OME shocks
-Powdercoat the wheels black and install a set of your favorite 33s
And then......

rgsiii

Observer
I don't think that you could go too wrong with OME suspension stuff, 4x4Labs or Slee's stuff. I am not as familiar with the other products. I have Slee Step sliders which I think are a pretty good compromise for protection and convenience. The 4x4Labs rear bumper is wonderful and Luke is a good guy to deal with--he will make customised things for you.

Frankies offroad is supposed to have some nice suspension stuff. I have not seen it. I have had dealings with him and he is a good fellow.

I sort of regret my supercharger on my 40th Ann. It limits me to premium fuel and I really did not give it a chance to show if it needed it or not. It is much faster than the '94, but still not as fast as a stock Sequoia.

Moody

Needs to get out more
You'll love the 80. Sounds like you have a good start. With the RTT on top, I would recommend a very stiff spring for the front and rear. (I run 3" OME Comps up front and the OME 864's with a 1" spacer in the rear)

JohnnyS

Explorer
Moody,
What size tires are you running?
How did you correct your caster?
Bummer about Hannah, he made really great stuff.

Moody

Needs to get out more
Moody,
What size tires are you running?
How did you correct your caster?
Bummer about Hannah, he made really great stuff.

I have always just run a 285/75/16.

I currently have the OME Caster Correction Bushings, though I plan to swap them out to the Slee 'Blue' CC Bushings soon.

I too really wanted the Hannah Quality rear bumper, but I ended up with the 4x4 Labs, and I am glad I went with it. I love it.

Willman

Moody's 80 is truly a piece of gold. One of the best built 80's i have seen. The only thing he needs is a diesel motor:)

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
Sorry its been so long since I updated this thread!! We've been on the CDT trail with Lance Blair and the Beyond the Lane guys and now in the
Tetons. I finally got time to go down the Albuquerque, NM to pick the new cruiser up. After further inspection she has an oil leak, but not sure from where yet. It leaks about one quart every 1500-2000 miles. There was some wear on the drivers seat so I put on a set of Escape Gear front seat covers that we just got in at Equipt Expedition Outfitters. These covers a are beautiful and fit like a glove. They took less than 15 minutes to install and will take even less next time. The cool thing about the covers besides their legendary fabric and construction is the uber cool side pocket that they both have!! Its a cool spot to hand your SPOT on or throw your 2m radio in. The next mod was to put new shoes on. After much debate and reading I went with the norm for this vehicle, BFG All Terrains 285/75/16's. With no lift there is way enough clearance to go wheeling with them. I also went with this size as I didn't want to re-gear in the future. Basically it drives just as it did with the stock size tires.
Now it is time to do the rear brakes, belts and fluid changes. My eyes are currently bleeding from reading all of the post about what brake pads to use!

Attachments

• IMG_0296.jpg
    IMG_0296.jpg
    676.2 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0295.jpg
    IMG_0295.jpg
    611.2 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0288.jpg
    IMG_0288.jpg
    789.1 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
Here are pictures of the newly installed Escape Gear Seat Covers from www.equipt1.com Like I said, they fit like a glove and are legendary in Africa for their durability in the field!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0300.jpg
    IMG_0300.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0303.jpg
    IMG_0303.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0304.jpg
    IMG_0304.jpg
    699.7 KB · Views: 98

Forum statistics

Threads