97 E350 Crestline Ambo Build/Mod

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the information... it’s very good to know.

It has settled down now, but my back freaked out a few weeks back and I quickly realized the shortcomings of my ‘stock ‘97 seats’. They’re still in decent shape... and they have even been replaced with more stock seats. They aren’t bad for a truck with 200k+ miles and almost 17k hours on the clock. I could just cover the seats and call it a day, but that wouldn’t improve the lumbar or lateral support of these basic bucket seats. As a whole, I’m trying to keep it looking ‘stock’ so I’d rather fit in a new & improved seat than change the “look” of the rig. For advertising reasons I want it to appear to still be a E350 Ambulance to a casual observer... even though someone who knows their stuff may realize it’s a ‘97 with an ‘03 Stereo... and ???

I prefer my upgrades to still appear ‘stock’ unless function dictates things be must modified in a greater way.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
FYI... 7.3 psd will start to tick and sound different when you run start running on fumes. I ignored it at first, and as a result I stopped about a block short of the gas station that sold diesel. With the four batteries I was able to get it running again... I don’t recommend it. Once it was running it didn’t quite feel right till I’d been driving again for 15 min or so

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
D5DAEA9D-0343-4947-B064-615C8EE2A9B1.jpeg87930450-9CCF-4281-B135-229563CE06CB.jpeg

Can you guess which is the Halogen and which is the new LED?

Equal in brightness... 5 W rather than 37.5 W x2 for each light.

eporter

Adventurer
Saw this for 6k on Seattle CL. Looks like a Crestline?
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/ford-eeconoline-ambulance/6688893166.html
8f433e1b5890fb822c065d3cfcd53f8b.jpg

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
The curved covers are supposed to improve aerobics of the body.

They are designed so the paramedics can access all compartments without stepping out into traffic. Uneven rear doors so it’s not necessary to open both doors to gain access. The list goes on... they were built by paramedics in the first place... and have taken paramedic feedback to make them safer and better.

Coachgeo

Explorer
Scene light or head lights? If headlights..... the led may pack with snow cause it won't melt it.... unless you got heated LED headlights... then your back to drawing same amount of power though. Now if your never in snow.... no issue. hmm..... then again.........same issue may happen with scene lights.... never though of that.

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Left & Right Scene lights. I found the fixtures for the rear scene threw little light with the LED bulbs I have.

I’ll take my chances with them having snow buildup. They’re not for driving.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I came across this...

http://www.actionvansuspension.com/system.php
3255FF59-A3E6-4A11-A968-A136FF78F54E.jpeg

Not that I’m going to run out and change anything right now, but I’m wondering if the 2008+ radius arms would be a worthwhile upgrade over the pre 2008 style. Theoretically they would allow more droop, but the trade off would be the radius arm could no longer turn about its axis. ‘Turning’ along the radius arms axis would be reliant on bushing flex. Therefore, in the real world would 2008+ radius arms be an improvement or just a sideways step?

Has anyone driven an ‘08+? Does it ride and handle different/better than a ‘07 or earlier of similar condition? I’d like to increase castor a bit more... and perhaps lift it a touch more height in the front.

The Moog 880S have raised the front significantly, so it’s not really about height, but a bit more suspension travel could never hurt. The interior build is way more important, so this is more long term planning to be done with future maintenance. Also for the Benifit of others doing similar 2WD builds.

The other question: Would replacing the ‘97 exhaust which has a CAT in it with an ‘01 exhaust without a CAT make a difference to the performance or econmy of a 7.3 PSD? With fuel being $5.50-$6.00 a gallon it could be worth installing if it’d make an improvement in mpg so long as it doesn’t hurt torque. Can’t see how reducing back pressure could a negative for a turbocharged diesel. Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong... I’ve been told it has happened :D

Last edited:

eporter

Adventurer
So I contacted Quadvan here in Portland, Oregon. They take BRAND NEW, ZERO MILE front ends off 2018 2WD E350 cutaways and convert to 4WD. So, they have lots of front ends available. I think it's like $500 for everything strapped on a pallet, plus whatever shipping. So you not only upgrade radius arms, you get better brakes, shocks (no springs), hubs, steering, ball joints, bearings, etc. It's EVERYTHING that comes off at once. AND, it still all bolts up. You need a new swaybar and end links, but that's it.

So, I plan on eventually going that route, plus the Moog 880s, or one of those front end 2" leveling kits.

It's waaaay cheaper than rebuilding piece by piece, and in the end you have 2018 parts & tech, instead of older-level new stuff.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Canada. I just double checked my math... it has come down to about $5/gal (CDN) from $5.70/gal. For US guys that is about $4/gal (USD) now since our dollar is down.

The difference in the dollar works in American's favor... unfortunately I don't make 35% more than someone with a similar job south of the border... so it still costs $1.38/liter.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12