97 E350 Crestline Ambo Build/Mod

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Thought I'd post up here because all the brake light troubleshooting tips for Econoline vans fall somewhat short when working on an ambulance conversion. Econoline vans ordinarily don't have separate brake lights but instead share the circuits with the turn signals.

For the conversion the brake lights are no longer wired through the hazard switch and the multifunction (turn signal) switch. Instead the brakes lights are connected into the OEM wiring after the brake light switch and the turn signals are isolated from the brake lights.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Installed 3.5 deg bushing on drivers side. Used carpenter’s square and a floor jack to adjust hub face to 90, replace bushing, and reset to 90 again.

Tracks straight now... even with a crown in the road. It will even follow the curve on the highway when the super elevation was built to spec.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
39F95EB1-471E-44D4-82BF-88548ACF056E.jpegF5BFE7F3-97CE-4027-9D44-E5AF41ECD2DF.jpeg

:D
Need I say more... picture is worth 1000 words. Cheaper than OEM, & worth way more.
Fronts are HD comfort and the rear are HD standard. The combination seems to work well. I bought the fronts off another member... buying new I’m not sure which I’d get.

With heavier wheels I think the comfort shocks could be insufficient. The standard in the rear seem to manage the duallies well... the front have smallish 225/75r16 tires. Before buying new, I’d enquire with Bilstein directly... rather than just reading from a table for stock vehicles.

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Having put on some miles, I’m quite happy with the standard duty in the rear. The comfort ones in the front could be a bit beefier. To do it over i’d buy HD standard for both ends.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Had a bit of a surprise today... after much tinkering to try to fix the cruise control without success, I hit the on switch. Still nothing... but when I hit the accelerate button on the wheel, it seemed to accelerate... hmm. Then when I hit the brakes it disengaged.

Success at last... after changing fuses, relays, brake sensors... it was actually working... just without an indicator light. The light shouldn’t be too hard to fix once I figure out where it is on the dash of a ‘97 E350.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
@Coachgeo or anyone else, is there an indicator light for CC on the dash of a 12/96 E350? Or am I looking for something that doesn’t exist (as the internet seems to suggest)?
Dave? @Abitibi

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader

Thanks for the links. Mine is definitely the ‘97 model. There is no mention of any indicator light for CC. It was would appear that it doesn’t have an indicator light... who knows how long CC has been working. Sure glad I didn’t bring it in to be repaired... I’d have felt real stupid if I paid a tech to fix it and it was working all along.

Seems odd that there’s no light... there’s an idiot light to tell you to check your gauges... Cruise On seems more important to me.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I’m considering replacing the front seats. I’m finally recovering after having had my back freak out on me a couple weeks ago, and it has become much more apparent to me that my well worn seats aren’t cutting it.

My first choice, as with a lot of what I’ve been doing would be to replace them with newer, gray, OEM seats that aren’t so worn. Lumbar support would be appreciated... but I don’t have a fortune to spend on them.

Are there years of econoline seats that y’all love?

‘97 leave a lot to be desired, and newer ones look so much nicer. Mine aren’t trashed, but they don’t appear to ever have been award winning.

If I had time and energy, I do have experience with building custom seating systems... but I’d rather bolt in something 1/2 decent and focus my energy on the accommodations in the back. My long term goal for this project would be to have the rear finished before next spring.

Village Idiot
Yup. All the seat bases fit all the years.

I'm switching seats in my 2000, to a 2008+ seat. If you wanna wait a couple weeks, I'll let you know for sure. But I'm pretty positive they all swap.

Corneilius

Adventurer
The seat belt buckle is different so you'll have to swap yours onto newer seats. Pre 97 the floor mounting pattern is close but not the same. I mounted a set of 05 seats in a 96 by redrilling 2 holes on the seat base.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12