97 E350 Crestline Ambo Build/Mod

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
86896120-2E46-4605-90BD-981E02CA84C2.jpeg0B9795D6-CD12-4654-95B6-64AE71914F61.jpeg

A couple pictures of the CRX-50 installed into original cabinets. I sunk it into the outer wall so that it didn’t stick out so far.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I cut through the horizontal bar and added a piece of angle aluminum vertically. I have cut down the shelf, but still need to cut down the plastic sliding doors.

I’m happy with the way it turned out considering it’s retrofit into an existing cabinet.

The LEDs are still working well overhead at a cost of about $2.50 a light.

patoz

Expedition Leader
I cut through the horizontal bar and added a piece of angle aluminum vertically. I have cut down the shelf, but still need to cut down the plastic sliding doors.

That looks like it was made for it! Good job on the installation too.

Can you elaborate on the sentence I highlighted in red?

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
That looks like it was made for it! Good job on the installation too.

Can you elaborate on the sentence I highlighted in red?

I'll give it a shot. The I cut 19" out of the cabinet create space for the fridge and microwave. The horizontal shelf has been shortened 19". The upper section has a scrap installed, but the lower has a panel going all the way across so it can't be opened. The plastic doors will need to each be cut down 9" so that there will be space for them to open.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
There was a horizontal bar where I've circled in blue, and I added the bar that is circled in red.
0B9795D6-CD12-4654-95B6-64AE71914F61.jpeg
It's not as original as it may look. Since I'm planning to mostly cook outside, I really only need the fridge and storage inside. The microwave will be especially good for warming up a quick snack if boondocking.

patoz

Expedition Leader
OK, this last picture explains it pretty well. I thought you were talking about the framework withing the walls and that's what was confusing me.

I'm going to be doing the same thing and doing all my serious cooking outside. After all, were camping right, and that's where we should be cooking! I will also have a microwave inside for those 'just in case moments'.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
OK, this last picture explains it pretty well. I thought you were talking about the framework withing the walls and that's what was confusing me.

I'm going to be doing the same thing and doing all my serious cooking outside. After all, were camping right, and that's where we should be cooking! I will also have a microwave inside for those 'just in case moments'.

That’s my plan, in a pinch I can heat up a frozen dinner or warm up leftovers. I’m thinking some form of table/cook top in the side stretcher compartment. The goal is to be 100% ready to go on a whim. At most stocking the fridge while on the road.

I did cut out all but 1/2” if the vertical member in the wall and the inner wall board to sink it 2” deeper into the wall.

patoz

Expedition Leader
I think I covered this in my first build or somewhere in the second, but my plan is to build my outdoor kitchen on top of the stretcher, which I do have. I'm going to keep the floor mounts that are the closest to the wall and use them to anchor the stretcher/kitchen. Once I get to my campsite, I'll just unload it out the back and roll it around to the passenger side next to the right rear wheel well. I'll be able to use it there via umbilical cord electrical (12VDC & 120AC), propane, and fresh water.

I'll also be able to use it elsewhere with on-board 12VDC battery, propane tank, and small water tank.

Coachgeo

Explorer
The outer compartment will also house the stove and kitchen gear.
am thinking this way too. Got a vintage kitchen with sink, LP stove top, metal oven box etc. to fit this bill. . Hoping can figure out a way to pull the Huge Top Loading fridge/cooler out from inside thru a outer storage compartment too.... but not figured any remote way to do that yet.... cause well... floor of ambo living space will be about 4.5 feet off the ground since it will be on a military truck chassis...... could take big stool.. ok more like step ladder lol... to access the Top Loading fridge/cooler if it just pulled out at floor level? Don't really want install it at bottom of an outer compartment with door access to inside cause well.... then you'll have to to get down on knees to get something out from fridge. hmmmm.

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
am thinking this way too. Got a vintage kitchen with sink, LP stove top, metal oven box etc. to fit this bill. . Hoping can figure out a way to pull the fridge/cooler out from inside thru a outer storage compartment too.... but not figured any remote way to do that yet.... cause well... floor of ambo living space will be about 4.5 feet off the ground since it will be on a military truck chassis...... could take big stool.. ok more like step ladder... to access the fridge/cooler if it just pulled out at floor level? Don't really want install it at bottom of an outer compartment with door access to inside cause well.... then you'll have to to get down on knees to get something out from fridge. hmmmm.
For your application it sounds like a top loading CRF Dometic (or similar) would be better. In the box it could sit in a compartment or on a shelf... once you arrive, you can carry it out and chain it to the rear bumper ;)

I hate that we have to worry about things walking off, but a $1000 +/- cooler could easily grow legs if you're not watching.

turbodiesel

For your application it sounds like a top loading CRF Dometic (or similar) would be better. In the box it could sit in a compartment or on a shelf... once you arrive, you can carry it out and chain it to the rear bumper ;)

I hate that we have to worry about things walking off, but a $1000 +/- cooler could easily grow legs if you're not watching.
Chain it is a great idea. Campsites are usually pretty safe but leaving $1K sitting around is just asking for trouble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman