97 E350 Crestline Ambo Build/Mod

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
View attachment 717281View attachment 717282View attachment 717283View attachment 717284View attachment 717285
Progress. Although it’ll still take some tweaks and revisions. I really like that it’ll be tucked in tight once it’s done.

Been making some progress…

IMG_5023.jpeg

My old school 3D printing. It’s currently set up for mild steel. Unlike newer models that are automated that only create plastic parts. These parts will require a bit more fine tuning to make this Sterling mount bolt onto the Dana 70 axle I have.

IMG_4979.jpeg
I prefer the high mounted position on this Steering axle.
IMG_4978.jpeg
The Sterling housing is shaped slightly different. No matter, nothing I can’t compensate for with the help of my friend Miller.

A little more work and it’ll be a bolt on part.

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Made some more progress…
IMG_5029.jpeg

IMG_5028.jpeg

They'll still require some more work with the pneumatic file but they’re getting closer. It’d be a lot easier if the axle were sitting on a bench rather than under a 5000 pounds aluminum box that’s not very far off the ground.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
And who doesn’t like fire… IMG_5039.jpegIMG_5040.jpegIMG_5041.jpeg

Not shown is using channel locks to pick it up and bend it in my winch fairlead… that was dangerous enough without trying to take a picture while doing it and I had no desire for a crescent shaped brand. 🤷‍♂️

IMG_5042.jpegIMG_5049.jpeg

Not to mention metal that’ll sear your flesh for 20 minutes.

Right side is getting closer. Once both sides are notched, I’ll test fit it with the sway bar in place again. They may need some minor adjustment once everything is in place to ensure that nothing binds.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
IMG_5077.jpegIMG_5078.jpegIMG_5079.jpeg
2nd side notched for housing rib. I’ll fine tune the mounts after another test fit of the sway bar… test fit number 5. :D

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Well… side tracked with my son moving.

After all the stuff I’ve done today with saws, the rigid power snake, drills, and the impact wrench… I’m in emergency because I brushed up against a white board.

The white boards frame fell apart, the sheet metal fell, and the metal’s sharp edge sliced open the back of my hand. Cut is about 3/4” long and 1/8-1/4” deep. I’ve had worse cuts and not had them stitched… but this one is bleeding like crazy. I believe a vein may have been nicked since it gushes out even applying pressure for a long time.

Usually, even a moderately deep cut won’t leave a circle of splattered bloody 4’ across.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
damn... that sucks. Heal up fast!!
IMG_5149.jpeg
Cleaned out and waiting for stitches… only 3.5 hours so far. Kinda wish I just went for some butterfly bandages and got back to work.
Although it’s still bleeding after all that time… not so ideal.

ITTOG

3 stitches, 5 hours, Tetanus shot, irrigating the wound, and Antibiotics. They recommended the antibiotics since it had been 5 hours since the injury 🤷‍♂️
Sorry to hear of your wound. I had a bad one a while back building my camper. It was 7" long all the way through the skin. I could see muscle and tendon. The common theme between my incident and what you describe is really the only reason to go to the ER is to get tetanus and antibiotics.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Infection when tendons are involved is a big risk. Another patient that was waiting at the hospital had a small cut a while back. She didn't worry about it and went out with her friends. By the time she got home her hand was getting puffy... by 3am it was huge and she went into the ER.

Long story short, infection spread to two tendons and once she recovered she'd lost the use of two fingers.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
IMG_3530.jpeg
Back in April car ahead of me stopped short…

IMG_3534.jpeg
Side view. Doesn’t look so bad, but insurance wrote it off claiming $10k usd to repair.

IMG_3877.jpeg
Damage under the hood…

IMG_5184.jpeg
After the body man did his magic…

IMG_5198.jpeg
Waiting for mechanical inspection to certify it officially roadworthy again.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
IMG_4859.jpegDonner front clip. Frame rails were arrow straight. Only thin needed from this were the rad mounts and upper rad supports.

Replaced the hood, rad, A/C condenser, rad fans, headlights, bumper cover, grill trim, horn, right fender, hybrid coolant reservoir, bumper retainer clips, fluids, throttle body.

Shout out for Rock Auto. As well as great prices of Condenser and Rad…

$242 USD to my door for the throttle body. Came in a Beck/Arnley box, was made by AISIN and had Toyota labels on it. One from TOYOTA would cost $920 USD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan