97 E350 Crestline Ambo Build/Mod

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
IMG_5215.jpeg
Final test fit. Fits like a glove and moves freely.

IMG_5216.jpegIMG_5218.jpeg
Tried to find something prefabricated to mount the top ends of the sway bar links but no dice. I’ll have to fabricate them just like everything else.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
IMG_5244.jpeg
1/4” wall box as a bracket starting point.
IMG_5245.jpeg
After a bit of welding and paint, upper mounts.IMG_5232.jpegIMG_5229.jpeg

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
IMG_5245.jpeg
Painted upper mounds.

IMG_5247.jpeg
Installed… finally. I’m very happy with the results , how it fits up in tight, and how well it works. It’s a tad harsher over speed bumps at low speed, but handling is far more predictable.

Versus standard aftermarket.IMG_5257.jpeg
IMG_5256.jpeg
This one doesn’t look as bad as some, but you’re still loosing 2-3” and paying $500.

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
The blue totally makes it!
The blue was an abandoned can of Rust-Oleum paint that was left behind at my sons place when he moved out... very fast drying and I liked the colour. I'd "primed" the axle brackets with zinc paint for galvanized spray paint... the upper mounts weren't (to save time) and because they wont be exposed to as much road salt and debris. The paint covered a lot of imperfections and dried very fast.

The black sway bar has not been modified. Everything blue is either modified or completely custom.

1) The sway bar links originally had an offset and they were heated till cherry red, straightened, and allowed to cool.

2) The bushing mounts had spacers welded to them to match the Dana 70 axle housing.

3) the upper mounts were made out of $5 worth of steer from "Metal Supermarket's" off cut bin. 1/4" wall square tube is overkill... but I like overkill.

Having driven the Ambo more/harder after the bars installation I'm really noticing the greatly increased stability around sharper turns. So much more predictable now.

Unfortunately, the OCD in me now wants to paint the frame and axle.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
IMG_5405.jpegIMG_5402.jpeg

Resurrected… insurance wrote it off for a hood, fender, headlight, bumper cover, rad, condenser, rad mount, and coolant reservoir. Bought it back, sourced the parts, and paid to have it all fixed. When the dust settles it’ll have cost less than half of what the estimated repair bill was for. And, no corners were cut.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Over the summer I noticed a drop in performance from the 7.3. After stewing on it for a bit it occurred to me I hadn’t changed the fuel filter in a while, and it seemed like a good place to start…

IMG_5622.jpeg

So… how black do diesel filters normally get? I think this one was past its prime.

8 years and 25k miles is a little more than the recommended interval. It was so much easier just replacing the filter this time. I was dreading the job because last time I removed the fuel bowl, replaced all the O-rings & seals, replaced all the lines connecting it, and replaced all the clamps as well.

I took it for a quick spin and there was a very noticeable difference in performance. Next time I'll change it out much sooner... perhaps after just two years.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
So, jus so y’all know I’m still around…
IMG_6080.jpeg
For 10+ years I’ve been trying to fit in an axle rebuild and diff swap. I’ve had 3.70 in the rear and 4.11 in the front.IMG_6081.jpeg
Well, no more. Rebuilt disc axle, 3.70 gears, etc.
IMG_6083.jpeg
Custom bracket to relocate T fitting on ‘76 axle to match ‘74 location.
IMG_6088.jpeg
New brake lines.

IMG_5894.jpegUnder the 40.
IMG_5869.jpegPainted before it went in.

It was surprising amount of work, and I hope to not have to do it again any time soon. It would have been easier if we weren’t setting new records for low temperatures -9* C (+/- 10* F) and snow which we rarely see.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
1706802168889.jpeg
1706802205690.jpeg
‘76 axle with 3.70 “60 series” gears, new brake lines, rebuilt knuckles, newer housing, and castor shims to improve alignment. :D

1706802501708.jpeg
U-bolt skid plates.1706802565950.jpeg
OEM rock catchers after 50 years… :DIMG_6087.jpegIMG_6081.jpegIMG_6080.jpeg

Attachments

• 1706802460333.jpeg
    1706802460333.jpeg
    586.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Bench seat upgrade…
IMG_6191.jpeg
Previous bench gone.
IMG_6193.jpeg
IMG_6192.jpegIMG_6189.jpeg
Started fabricating my own taller brackets to mount them.IMG_6180.jpegIMG_6179.jpeg
Lots more to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior