AEV-Produced J8 Now Available to Consumers

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
x2

This would be one of my concerns...

But I'm still very happy to hear of this development.

The cost estimate is $50K, including the engine and installation charges.

AEV intends to sell you the rolling chassis only. Then it's up to you to purchase the 2.8L four cylinder diesel and transmission from Chrysler. I guess Mopar stocks complete diesel engine and transmission packages to replace units that fail in the 2005-2006 Jeep Liberty.

I'm still not sure you'll be able to get this combination past your state DMV because it's a 2009 chassis with a 2005 engine and emissions package. I wrote to Nevada DMV to find out.

Chip Haven

JPFreek1

Explorer
Chip, most states offer VIN numbers for kit-cars that are pretty much exempt of any regulations but the basic safety rules. That's why AEV can not sell the complete vehicle but you have to gather the components for your "kit" from different sources. ;)

That's exactly right according to our contacts at AEV. By offering the chassis and then requiring the consumer to purchase the "guts" from an authorized dealer, the emission requirements can be bi-passed.

This should be a very interesting and exciting vehicle option for those with the cash to do it. I can only imagine how amazing this platform would be when converted into an Earthroamer. Hrrrm...I'll call Earthroamer and see what the plans are given this new platform. I'll keep y'all posted. ;)

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Interesting if the vehicle/chassis is truly "exempt" and needs no smog check at all.

In Nevada there is both a gas engine emissions smog test and a diesel smog test (an opacity, tailpipe test). To get a newer vehicle registered one or the other would be needed here in NV unless the vehicle was 'exempt' from any testing.

That's exactly right according to our contacts at AEV. By offering the chassis and then requiring the consumer to purchase the "guts" from an authorized dealer, the emission requirements can be bi-passed.

This should be a very interesting and exciting vehicle option for those with the cash to do it. I can only imagine how amazing this platform would be when converted into an Earthroamer. Hrrrm...I'll call Earthroamer and see what the plans are given this new platform. I'll keep y'all posted. ;)

alosix

Expedition Leader
Yeah, $50,000, not including motor and transmission, I'm sorry to say, that's ludicrous.

How can a typical Jeep enthusiast go after that?

Its obvious that these will be reserved for those with massive budgets, and more than likely won't be used for the intended purposes.

$50G's is way over priced.

When I bought my 4 door rubi in 07 when the first came out. It was $37k..

$50k is a little high, but still, probably less than I have in my TJ total.

alosix

Expedition Leader
The cost estimate is $50K, including the engine and installation charges.

AEV intends to sell you the rolling chassis only. Then it's up to you to purchase the 2.8L four cylinder diesel and transmission from Chrysler. I guess Mopar stocks complete diesel engine and transmission packages to replace units that fail in the 2005-2006 Jeep Liberty.

I'm still not sure you'll be able to get this combination past your state DMV because it's a 2009 chassis with a 2005 engine and emissions package. I wrote to Nevada DMV to find out.

Chip Haven

The quote ways 2.8 INTERNATIONAL engine, which is not the libby engine. if it really is the internation engine.. I need to go knock some chick up and sign my first born over to AEV :)

haven

Expedition Leader
AEV just announced a manual transmission kit for the Hemi, so you might consider installing the 5.7L V8 in your J8 instead of the diesel.

JPFreek1

Explorer
AEV just announced a manual transmission kit for the Hemi, so you might consider installing the 5.7L V8 in your J8 instead of the diesel.

True though I think the beauty of this platform is the fact that it's the closest you can get to a Jeep (non-Liberty or Grand Cherokee) with the diesel platform. It would be nice if a manual version for the diesel were an option.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Freek --
Think you can find out if some of the esoteric parts will be available? I'm really into some of the racks, cans, and I want those bumpers/helo-hooks.... :drool:

alosix

Expedition Leader
if anyone stumbles across the 2.8's availability please post up.

I contacted AEV

Been dying for this or the 2.8 International in my TJ for quite some time

And jeep had these out in TJs last year at EJS.

Jason

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior