All Terrain Warriors campers

kerry

Expedition Leader
How does a unit like that deal with frame flex? What's his asking price? Is shipping included.:sombrero:

dhackney

Expedition Leader
If you plan to use it in mostly non-RHD markets, a relevent question to ask is, "What is the cost of a LHD conversion?"

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Kerry Here's the link to the "For Sale" ad

http://www.rvpoint.com.au/DesktopDefault.aspx?ItemID=2994330&TabID=205104

$220000AUD is about $142,000USD.

Frame flex is handled the same way we do all of the AllterrainWarriors tourbuses and motorhomes. Sprung mounted body attached at 10 points minimum. Leaves the chassis completely free to move under the body. Very low profile too. Floor height is only about an inch and a half over the transfercase. These Isuzu's chassis (although heavier) are almost the same setup as an FG so they are very similar to look at underneath.

This truck he built is the first one of these Commando bodies built as a full composite shell . Normally we build them like a bus with a steel frame for passenger roll over protection but the weight saved on this one was quite significant. The whole body is like a foam sandwich yacht. You can punch the outside walls as hard as you can and nothing.

Young Chris that built this, has some great fresh ideas and I'm sure we'll be adopting alot of these features onto the Allterrainwarriors vehicles directly.

As for shippping and LHD >>> uuhhhhmmmm

eMULe

Mount Details?

John,

Body mount designs have been a topic of great interest. Have you posted photos and details of "Sprung (sic?) mounted body attached at 10 points minimum." in a previous discussion? If not, do you have any photos? You mention that it is "low profile" and very close to the transfer case. How is the raised section at the front of the frame (for Fuso anyway, Isuzu?) handled in this design?

That looks like a great vehicle! I will dream of buying it and traveling around Oz for 6-8 months.

whatcharterboat

Have you posted photos and details of "Sprung (sic?) mounted body attached at 10 points minimum." in a previous discussion? If not, do you have any photos?

Very sorry. For my bosses sake, I'm not at liberty to show pics of these. We've been using been using this setup for a very long time now on all our trucks and I suppose with the tour busses, it's a proven advantage over our opposition and I just can't go there. Hope you understand.

You mention that it is "low profile" and very close to the transfer case.
How is the raised section at the front of the frame (for Fuso anyway, Isuzu?) handled in this design?

Same story. All I can say is that our mounting system allows us to go around the "s" section and not over it. No way you could do this with a 3 or 4 point pivot. Also as Tom (FusoFG) rigthtly said the other day, with an FG the load needs to be spread evenly along the full length of the chassis. A pivot frame doesn't really accomplish this. They're perfect on stronger frames such as a Mog but these little Japanese trucks aren't the same and need to flex very freely or not at all (As in a heavy work body rigidly mounted).

(for Fuso anyway, Isuzu?)

The Isuzu's are very similar chassis. But the FG is like a cut FE with an "s" section inserted to allow clearance for the front diff. The NPS 4x4 is single pressing with the "s" section incorporated. Also the NPS is 6mm and the FG is 4.5mm. (Don't get me wrong here I'm not saying one is better than the other, just different. FG's are still my favourite).

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

Thanks, John. You're a prince for sharing the photos; I very much enjoy seeing them.

Hi Mike. No worries mate. Promise I'll post some Aussie 4x4 Sprinter / ambulance pics for you too when I get a new camera. Still no sign of my phone, heh. Bummer.

whatcharterboat

Very sorry for the "unavailable images". My fault entirely for posting pics from the RVPoint link. We are putting it in the show next week so I'll take some fresh pics with our work camera and repost these pics of Chris's truck.

He's done a bit more too it since this last post too. Fitted a micro data projector above the bed and a curtained petition between the cab to help darken it. The data projector is so cool. About the size of a deck of cards and turns the interior into a real home theatre. 1500 lumens with a 40 minute run time on it's own battery if required. Maybe equivalent to a 50" screen I guess. We have a video tx /rx for it too so you can take it outside and shine it up on the side of the truck at night.

If everything turns up in time we hope to do some more cosmetic stuff to it before the show. Amazed this thing hasn't sold yet.

Anyway here's some other pics I took from the other week you might find interesting. Brake testing for single rear wheels on the new FG84 at Willowbank. Still not finished this process yet. Hope to get back to that very shortly. The weather's been a shocker. It usually takes a couple of days to get through all the tests for each wheel / tyre combo and everything has to be done at diffferent weights. Certified weighbridge slips and whole nine yards.

There's an enormous amount of data required by our DoT so as you can imagine it ends up costing a small fortune every time we have to go through this procedure. As the FG84 is more powerful than the last model, it's something that has to be done afresh. I can't remember the last time an FG was done. Long time ago anyway.

A lot of setting up required. Brake pedal pressure sensor, fifth wheel , inertia sensor, event timers, digital temperature readings of the drums, etc, etc. This pic below shows the FG lined up for a 100kph stop at "max GVM". We'd just done the "10 % over GVM" runs prior. The longer blocks are exactly 1 ton each. For a bus, our DoT reguires that the vehicle stops about 15% better than an a 6 ton truck is required to.

3542166308_a5587b0019_b.jpg

And this is where the brainy guy sits. Not me, all I have to do is make sure I don't exceed the required brake pedal force. Hence my own meter on the dash. Oh and keep us off the walls and pointed basically in the right direction.

3541357767_f9be3b3c10_b.jpg

Definitely learning alot about the new model in a hurry anyway.

oz101

Hi John, like the pics, So when the testing is all done will that allow you to put those wheels on any truck (e.g.. the Isuzu) or only on the Canter.

Mickldo

Adventurer
G'day oz101

Welcome to the forum.

I'm sure John (whatcharterboat) will fill you in but I am sure they do most trucks for SRW conversions. This testing is for the new Canter. They have done lots of testing on the older models in the past. There are a couple of threads on the subject on the forum.

whatcharterboat

I'm sure John (whatcharterboat) will fill you in but I am sure they do most trucks for SRW conversions. This testing is for the new Canter. They have done lots of testing on the older models in the past. There are a couple of threads on the subject on the forum.

Hey thanks Mick. Coming to the show on the weekend. We're in building 13.

Hi John, like the pics, So when the testing is all done will that allow you to put those wheels on any truck (e.g.. the Isuzu) or only on the Canter.

Hi Adam . I know you'll be there.

Technically speaking the testing is to prove to the DoT that we can build a bus out of a FG84 and it will meet a certain standard for a bus. We aren't testing the wheels. So again we are testing the FG will be able to meet our DoT braking performance standards for a bus. And whatever wheels we test with will have yo be used from then on. A bit complicated but we may test the the biggest and the smallest 19.5" tyres that will fit our rims so that we can use any size in between and probably the 16"XZL's for the beach operators. So unless we pay for the extra test we won't even be able to build a bus and leave it on duals as before. At this point anyway.

But to answer your original question. Our new wheels will already be ISO tested overseas. No one else here does this yet. I was told that there wasn't even a machine in Oz to do an ISO test on anything bigger than a car rim. So they will definitely be legal. Of course all the data we collect will be useful when we export our campers so as to prove to authorities that the SRW conversion will actually not compromise safety. So NPS or FG will be fine for the 19.5"'s.

Hahaha. You were hoping this would make your decision over which truck to buy easier, weren't you? Sorry.

John.

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
Thanks, John. The wheel tests show All Terrain Warriors commitment to the highest standards. In USA, OEMs won't change safety equipment to avoid the potential of lawsuits. Once the ISO tests are complete, will you be able to sell to customers overseas?

Chip Haven

oz101

Hi John, Ya I am going to the show on Thursday, I think it might be less crowed than on the weekend, but should be good.

Still haven't decided on getting the Canter or Isuzu, need to make my mined up in the next week or so if I want to get in before the price increase of the Canter at the end of this month.

Does anyone know if you can get front diff locks for the new Canter?

whatcharterboat

Once the ISO tests are complete, will you be able to sell to customers overseas?

Hi Chip, Yep . That's the idea. With an ISO they should be as good as an OE wheel in terms of acceptability and DoT approval.

In USA, OEMs won't change safety equipment to avoid the potential of lawsuits.

Yeah. That's often the case here too, so you end up having to go to great lengths to prove to the DoT that "safety" isn't compromised . Hence the testing here in the pics.

whatcharterboat

Hi John, Ya I am going to the show on Thursday, I think it might be less crowed than on the weekend, but should be good.

Hi Adam, Haha. Thursday and Friday are the only days I'm not sure about. I should be there every other day for sure. Depends how busy Wednesday is. But no worries. Somone will be there to show you that NPS pop top anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior