All Terrain Warriors campers

Mickldo

Adventurer
Hey thanks Mick. Coming to the show on the weekend. We're in building 13, Adjoining you know who. Told you kharma would win out, heh?.

Hi Adam . I know you'll be there.

Technically speaking the testing is to prove to the DoT that we can build a bus out of a FG84 and it will meet a certain standard for a bus. We aren't testing the wheels. So again we are testing the FG will be able to meet our DoT braking performance standards for a bus. And whatever wheels we test with will have yo be used from then on. A bit complicated but we may test the the biggest and the smallest 19.5" tyres that will fit our rims so that we can use any size in between and probably the 16"XZL's for the beach operators. So unless we pay for the extra test we won't even be able to build a bus and leave it on duals as before. At this point anyway.

But to answer your original question. Our new wheels will already be ISO tested overseas. No one else here does this yet. I was told that there wasn't even a machine in Oz to do an ISO test on anything bigger than a car rim. So they will definitely be legal. Of course all the data we collect will be useful when we export our campers so as to prove to authorities that the SRW conversion will actually not compromise safety. So NPS or FG will be fine for the 19.5"'s.

Hahaha. You were hoping this would make your decision over which truck to buy easier, weren't you? Sorry.

John.

Hi John, Ya I am going to the show on Thursday, I think it might be less crowed than on the weekend, but should be good.

Still haven't decided on getting the Canter or Isuzu, need to make my mined up in the next week or so if I want to get in before the price increase of the Canter at the end of this month.

Does anyone know if you can get front diff locks for the new Canter?

Hi Adam, Haha. Thursday and Friday are the only days I'm not sure about. I should be there every other day for sure. Depends how busy Wednesday is. But no worries. Somone will be there to show you that NPS pop top anyway.

I am going on Saturday. It's the only day I have free.

engineer

Adventurer
Is someone getting some pics for those of us who can't make it??
Please....... BTW, i hate working in tourism some of the time........:coffee:

haven

Expedition Leader
X2 for the photos! John, I hope you get a chance to walk around
the show and share your impressions with us.

markymark

I'm going tomorrow (thursday) can't wait to see the ATW stand :drool:, hope you're there John!

Will take some pics of the show too.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I'm going tomorrow (thursday) can't wait to see the ATW stand , hope you're there John!

Will take some pics of the show too.

Mark, Sorry> I worked the show today and I'll be back there every other day but Friday right though till Tuesday. Thursday is the only day I can't make it. Have a Uni assignment due.

John, I hope you get a chance to walk around
the show and share your impressions with us.

Hi Chip, Of course I hope so too. I will try to borrow the work camera and walk around on Tuesday or Friday and do another 50 photo report as I did at the Brisbane Truck Show. So far I've only seen our little corner. Up the back of Building 13. Unbelievable first day. Nothing like the numbers we expect on the weekend but those that did come through were very serious buyers hoping to beat the crowds.

Had some interesting inquiriesBTW. One was for a Crewcab MAN Scout so the dogs could travel in the cab. And another from a gold prospector for a stretched FG Scout with a concealed quadbike garage built into the rear.

Hey, BTW If anyone turns up at our stand and I'm not there, make sure you tell whoever that you're from ExPo and ask if you can have a look inside. As the trucks we have on display are on loan from existing owners we are being very careful with them. You can still see inside them but we are only letting people through only when accompanied by one of us. But hey, no worries just ask.

Engineer. Dig that new avatar!!!

I am going on Saturday. It's the only day I have free.

Hey Mick, Catch up then.

markymark

Mark, Sorry> I worked the show today and I'll be back there every other day but Friday right though till Tuesday. Thursday is the only day I can't make it. Have a Uni assignment due.

:(

No worries John, it's the only day I've got off during the show so that's a bit of a bugger, anyway will check it out tomorrow and report back on here, cheers :sombrero:

whatcharterboat

Outbackjack >>> this pic is in an old thread somewhere. Couldn't find the thread again so I've reposted it. This is a Michelin XZL 255/100R 16 , then a Hankook AM02 265/ 70R 19.5 and then a standard Bridgestone 7.50R 16. In that order. The AM02 is what is on that SWB outback tour bus that you were asking about..

3083575183_f150c917be_o.jpg

However I took these tonight. This is the first time we've fitted these to one of our trucks but we now believe this will be the best (toughest , safest and probably most economical) allround option for FG's and NPS's. This is the Toyo M608Z 285/70R 19.5. Just have to see how they wear but if the typical Toyo truck tyres are anything to go by, I'm pretty confident they'll be great. BTW they are 36" high. Only one inch lower than an XZL.

Firstly here is a pic of one leaning against a standard Bridgestone 7.50R 16

3635343518_1d644a01f6_b.jpg

We fitted them to Chris's truck before we went home tonight and took it for a quick test. Couldn't wait till morning. Haha. But they'll be going down to Willowbank for some official brake testing next week on an FG.

3635340572_d48a39e07f_b.jpg

I tried to show this feature too. See the step in between the tread blocks in the centre. Supposedly to stop sharp rocks from wedging in and possibly puncturing the tread ply. Something that has happened on the XZL's more than once on the forestry roads here on the way to Fraser.

3635342584_7f54fdce8b_b.jpg

outbackjack

Observer
Cool. They look good.

I live in Weipa and think this is the way I will go. I got a qoute of you guys for a bullbar/winch and tyres.

So when I find the canter I am looking for, I will be heading your way to fit something.

I had one lined up but it feel through. Dont have a lot of cash, but got my eye on a few canters at the moment in Sydney. If that pans out, then I may drive it up your way.

This will be the first mods.

whatcharterboat

Hi, Couple more tyre pics. Hope you aren't getting bored of these but it seems to be something that we are asked about constantly so I figure if there are plenty of pics here in the threads it'll help in decisions anyway. Most of the tyre shops never have these things on the shelf to look at either so I'm sure it will be of some benefit. heh?

M608z standing against the XZL.

3662341830_124f318163_b.jpg

XZLs fitted up to the FG84

3662338186_5b17e8db55_b.jpg

Then the M608z’s on the same truck.

3662339060_b93e5e6912_b.jpg

Don’t try this at home. Cooling down the drums. Veeeeeery carefully.

3661540729_15f43a57fa_b.jpg

Interesting skid marks from the XZLs on the rear. BTW this was the 60kph, unladen (simulating an empty work tray) and with a simulated front axle brake failure so that the rear wheels only are providing the braking force.

3661541645_8844830889_b.jpg

Tony LEE

International Grey Nomad
Interesting that you would risk distorting the drums using water when just driving it would cool the drums down naturally in about the same time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior