am I crazy to get 4cyl Taco?

N8URE2

Adventurer
sorry, I was more just meaning the standard cab idea of that truck, not the particular bed length or model of the FWC.

ryguy

Adventurer
The long bed is considered the standard bed on the reg cab. A short bed is only an option on the dcab models.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Hi Jeff,

From my standpoint, the 2.7 with a 4-wheel pop-up would be a very nicely performing combo. I have an old, wooden 8-foot pop-up camper (probably about 1100lbs) on my 22RE-powered (2.4L, 8-valve) 4Runner and I'm pretty happy with that combo. It also has a fairly heavy all-pro front bumper with an 8000 lb winch. It's even a little undergeared with 4.10's and 31" tires. Yours would have more power and less weight.....no problemo!

Most folks say that the 2.7 pulls better than the 3.0 v6, due to lower engine weight with the 2.7 and similar output curves.

On the 4-wheel camper model, with the 6-foot bed, you might consider dropping the tailgate and going with a Ranger. The extra length is really nice to have and it's great having a closet...extra storage space is such a luxury in mini-truck pop-ups. There's not much weight difference between the Eagle and Ranger. It does move the weight back a little farther. I was worried how it would feel when climbing but it's not as bad as I thought so far. For me, the Finch wouldn't make enough use of the bed length on the truck. The Eagle is the shortest one I'd get.

Eric

P1010710.JPG

Last edited:

Missing Link

We did what you are thinking about in 1988. New basic 4x4 reg. cab Toyota for under $10,000.00 out the door. Added a used FWC Fleet model camper for $2,500.00 and hit the road. We used that set up for 10 years all over the western US, and I would do it again in a heartbeat . . . in fact, am considering a set up like that again. The obvious drawback is power, but other than long steep grades, it wasn't terrible, and that was the old 22ER motor (2.4 ltr.). Benefits: 1. Good gas milage and range (21 gallon tank is stock) 2. Excellent off road due to - great manuverability, tight turning radius and 4.10 gear ratio. You can go on some pretty rough trails to some pretty remote areas, and have your home on your back. I used that 88 as a DD and retired it (blown head gasket) at 394,000 miles. The guy I sold it to rebuilt the motor and I see it around town all the time. Sorry for the longish post, but as you can tell, I support your plan.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
From Toyota.com

Bed length (in.) 73.5
Bed height (in.) 18.0
Bed width (in., total/between wheelwells) 56.7/41.5

Bugspray

Adventurer
I own a '99 2.7 reg. cab and it usually has more than enough power, just gets a little winded going up hills. It has been very low maintenence and utterly stone axe reliable for the last decade and I see no reason it wont carry on that way. Your plan sounds like a great set up, if you find yourself wanting more power just slap on a TRD supercharger.

expeditionist

Observer
I have owned two Toy 4cyl Reg cabs. The first was a '91. Always felt it was a little underpowered but it had 30" tires so the overall gearing was a little taller. The one I have now is an '03 Taco 2.7 Reg cab. I feel it has just enough power for my needs, and I personally prefer the better MPG at the expense of some power. I plan to stick with the stock tire size on this one though. I say go for it. Besides, you have your bike when you are feeling that need for speed.

J-man

Adventurer
Get it, then Turbo it. That little 4 banger with 10lbs of boost will smoke most things around it, while still getting good gas mileage as long as your not heavy footing it everwhere.

slus

Adventurer
I really liked my 3rz tacoma. Just make sure you don't end up with one sporting 3.58 gears, that thing was a DOG with 32s on it. I ended up selling it rather than regearing, and buying a 3.4 with 4.10s with money to spare.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Maybe it's the whole West region, but when I went to "Build Your Toyota", I couldn't select a STD cab 4x4, either. Nor a 4-cyl 4x4 access cab. Weird.

Also, I don't know how some of you guys go on long trips in a STD cab. A 2 hour trip was enough for me. Not being able to recline was torture.

Splat

Wonderful!

We have a 2002 2.7L 4x4 std cab Tacoma.

Enough power even with 265/75/16's, but we got lucky the truck came with 4.30 gear ratio. (though we're thinking of going down a tire size)

As long as we kept the loads light the truck is always dependable and has enough power + mpg is not bad at all, even when loaded and in 4wd high! (We've been lucky our last trip of 100+ miles light off highway travel = 21mpg)

Long trips have not been bad, even 9 hour+ stretches have been ok, though admit for the passenger wanting to nap can be rough!

snipecatcher

Adventurer
I really liked my 3rz tacoma. Just make sure you don't end up with one sporting 3.58 gears, that thing was a DOG with 32s on it. I ended up selling it rather than regearing, and buying a 3.4 with 4.10s with money to spare.

I can echo that exactly. I hated my 2.7 with the high gears. It was a stick shift, and I would usually have to downshift to 3rd gear with the motor whining at 4000 rpms to make it up hills at highway speed. I get better gas mileage with my current V6, even with larger more aggressive tires and LOTS more weight. You may regret getting the 4 cylinder, but I guarantee you won't regret getting the V6.
-Dan

SunFlower

Adventurer
My 1987 Toyota pickup had the 22R motor with a 5sp and stock gears. I drove that truck EVERYWHERE. I did more off roading than 99% of people. The motor is strong enough and reliable to go where you want to go. I got 30 mpg on the freeway too.
I bought the truck with 50,000 miles and sold it with 235,000 miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears