Any Glock owners out there?

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
That's funny... I said almost the exact same thing on that other thread where the guy was asking about a good home, personal defense solution; I pretty much got slammed. :Wow1: Everyone is entitled to their opinion though.

I love my Glocks and wouldn't trust anything else for mine and my families safety while out amongst the natives. We've got the G17, G22 and the G20. The wife carries the G17, the G22 lives in the dresser next to my bed, and the G20 sleeps with me while out camping. And when home, each of them has their little hiding spot around the house. :ar15:

I used to carry a 1911...I have a safe full of them right now, Colts, Kimbers, Les Baer, Springfield... Most of them have been either built, or tuned, by the very best gunsmiths in the business...people with reps that go back 40 or more years now.

Not a single one of them is as reliable as any of my Glocks, out of the box. For the most part the various guns have magazines they work well with, and magazines they don't work with at all (and I'm talking expensive, aftermarket mags, not gunshow "GI Surplus" made in China mags)..

They all have factory ammo they won't feed at all. They all have broken parts at one point or another.

With my Glocks, they work out of the box - period. I have replaced springs on them after lots of shooting (6-8K rounds), but I've never had a broken gun: One that wouldn't fire. I can take my similar models (G21, G30) apart, mix up the parts and reassemble them, and they still work just like new.

The only thing I do to them out of the box is add night sights (if they don't already have them). Other than that, they get the occasional cleaning (once or twice a year, for the ones that we shoot a lot), and maybe a boresnake down the breach when we're done practicing...thats it. I have over 22,000 rounds through my first G22 (.40S&W) and I'm still on the original barrel (and it still shoots well). My 1911's would shoot out the barrel (factory) in 4-5K rounds, and shoot out Bar-Sto in 8k at the most. And need most of the springs replaced at 3000 rounds. Glock factory mags? As far as I can tell, they don't wear out. They still function as new, including the one that came with my first G22.

If John Moses Browning (designer of the 1911, and most decent firearms in the world) were alive today, he'd be building Glocks or something very much like them (only better - the only thing I don't like about Glocks is the grips are a bit thick, and the angle is a bit wrong, the 1911 was far better).

Right now I've got one of my G21's in the smith, getting an Trijicon RMR added...they may be the future of combat pistol sites.

Last edited:

robert

Expedition Leader
I've had several over the years since the first gen and sold all of them except my latest G19. I have a love/hate relationship with them- I admire the gun for it's simplicity and it's reliability, but I hate the way it looks and feels, especially the way it points. The grip angle is just wrong; it's doesn't point naturally like the 1911. That said, I carry it a lot because I do trust it. In a pistol I prefer a 1911, Sig or P35 though.

maXTERRA

Adventurer
They're awesome guns for function/reliability as I've said before, but my best shooters for accuracy are still my 1911's, HANDS DOWN (the 1911's ALWAYS win the weekly pin-shoots, like this around 2.6 sec, 5 pins time to the floor)

I can shoot a glock pretty fair, but I have to think about the trigger squeeze every shot, unlike the kimber.

Can't carry the ultra carry kimber as easy as I can carry the g27 on my hip right now:ar15:

I guess I love'm all (cep't the ruger p944).

maXTERRA

Adventurer
Right now I've got one of my G21's in the smith, getting an Trijicon RMR added...they may be the future of combat pistol sites.[/QUOTE]

Most interesting: http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/parts_new.cfm?categoryID=13
Very nice sights, though a little pricey like all trijicon, but the undisputed best.
I guess compared to some Truglo TFO sights I just put on a Kimber for $100
not bad. http://www.botachtactical.com/trtfogunsi.html
I gotta say, these are the brightest night sites I've ever seen. Same in the daylight too. Gonna put a set on the g27 along with a crimson trace LG436

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
Right now I've got one of my G21's in the smith, getting an Trijicon RMR added...they may be the future of combat pistol sites.

Most interesting: http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/parts_new.cfm?categoryID=13
Very nice sights, though a little pricey like all trijicon, but the undisputed best.
I guess compared to some Truglo TFO sights I just put on a Kimber for $100
not bad. http://www.botachtactical.com/trtfogunsi.html
I gotta say, these are the brightest night sites I've ever seen. Same in the daylight too. Gonna put a set on the g27 along with a crimson trace LG436[/quote]

I have trijicon sights on virtually all my handguns, and most rifles - but the RMR is more than just a night sight. I tried a handgun so equipped at a shooting class I attended last year, and found them to be quite good for rapid sight alignment - day or night.

maXTERRA

Adventurer
^^^^^ Absolutely the trijicons are for rapid target acquisition, and the best IMO!
They covered a lot about trijicons on Gun-Talk yesterday on the radio :)

I was just commenting in how bright my TFO's are compared to the others. When I open my gunvault, the kimber U-C with tfo's are easily more than twice as bright as the g22 with factory night sights.
Out in the light, the fiberoptic tube really lights up too. A good thing for aging eyes.

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
^^^^^ Absolutely the trijicons are for rapid target acquisition, and the best IMO!
They covered a lot about trijicons on Gun-Talk yesterday on the radio :)

I was just commenting in how bright my TFO's are compared to the others. When I open my gunvault, the kimber U-C with tfo's are easily more than twice as bright as the g22 with factory night sights.
Out in the light, the fiberoptic tube really lights up too. A good thing for aging eyes.

I may try a set on a G30, then...

PAyota

Observer
Iv'e been debating on which sites to go with for my G30SF. I've had that pistol almost a year now and it still makes me grin every time I get it out. I'm not sure how many rounds I've run through my 17 and 30 but have yet to have a failure. Glock all the way.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
I've been through a lot of self-defense handguns, I always seem to come back to a Glock for my primary carry weapon, simply because I know it will always work. Also because I can detail strip it in five minutes, and replace any part for a few dollars/QUOTE]

I'd agree with Jonathan that there are few guns out there that are as easy to maintain and as reliable to use

416694929_nKmu6-M-1.jpg

I carry a Glock 19C that is ported and it's amazing at how simple it is to double tap bullseye's all day long. Every person who has shot this gun goes out and buys one afterwards....it's that smooth

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
I posted this in the Hlep Me Pick A Gun Thread, but I thought it should go here too

For anyone thinking about a gun, read this ultimate Torture Test this guy did on his Glock

It's amazing the stuff and time this guy spent trying to ruin this gun. Everything from shooting it with another gun, burying it in a bucket with everything and anything he could think of and dropping it from a plane...LOL

It's a very funny read and makes me not feel so bad about not cleaning my Glock after my range time

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
What are the 4th generation guns?

Google is your friend:victory:

Glock has officially started teasing to the fourth generation of their pistols due in 2010.

Calling it the “Next Generation of Perfection,” the fourth generation Glock pistols are expected to feature an interchangeable backstrap, or adjustable grip, to accommodate a wide range of hand sizes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78